diy solar

diy solar

Terrible Signature Solar / EG4 18Kpv Experience - Returning and Replaced with Sol-Ark 15k

That video just further confirms what is being said on this forum. If you read the comments on the Youtube video, it only gets worse.
What a :poop: storm.

@SignatureSolarJames
Are you losing any sleep? I sure would be.

Growatt will sell direct.
https://www.growatt-inverter.com/2247-2/

I want to give my money to someone who will support the product.
I have no problem talking and emailing with China and Taiwan. I've been to China a few times, and although the time difference is usually about 12 hours. That has never been a big problem.

Growatt will sell direct.
https://www.growatt-inverter.com/2247-2/

I want to give my money to someone who will support the product.
Growatt doesn't seem to have a particularly better track record. Besides, comparing a distributor to a manufacturer (or at least a branding company) is a it unfair.

It is clear that SS is focusing on the higher volume, lower margin distributor model; a panel from SS can be had at under $0.50/W, while the cheapest from Current Connected was over $0.75. When you save 33% you have to allow for some risks in other places.

That said, I am not excusing SS's behavior; it is dumb business to operate like this for high-dollar transactions. They need to improve technical support and warranty issues... and EG4 (along with all other Chinese rebadges) need to put more money into equipment, firmware, and documentation quality.

Growatt doesn't seem to have a particularly better track record. Besides, comparing a distributor to a manufacturer (or at least a branding company) is a it unfair.

It is clear that SS is focusing on the higher volume, lower margin distributor model; a panel from SS can be had at under $0.50/W, while the cheapest from Current Connected was over $0.75. When you save 33% you have to allow for some risks in other places.

That said, I am not excusing SS's behavior; it is dumb business to operate like this for high-dollar transactions. They need to improve technical support and warranty issues... and EG4 (along with all other Chinese rebadges) need to put more money into equipment, firmware, and documentation quality.

I think that the EG4 brand is Signature Solar's product. Other people may make their products but they sell them as their own from what I can tell.
That's really not unusual in the electronics equipment business.
But I don't think I can call Voltronic and have them support the EG4 product?

My point is what I stated: I'll give my money to whoever can reasonably support the product.
If I can go direct to the manufacturer and get support, I have no problem doing that.

Its sort of like buying a Tesla vs a Chevrolet. Chevrolet's can only be purchased through a dealer. Tesla's cannot be purchased through a dealer.
If I can get my car serviced from both Tesla direct and Chevrolet via the dealer or "distributor", does it matter to me? Nope.

I think that the EG4 brand is Signature Solar's product. Other people may make their products but they sell them as their own from what I can tell.
That's really not unusual in the electronics equipment business.
But I don't think I can call Voltronic and have them support the EG4 product?

My point is what I stated: I'll give my money to whoever can reasonably support the product.
If I can go direct to the manufacturer and get support, I have no problem doing that.

Its sort of like buying a Tesla vs a Chevrolet. Chevrolet's can only be purchased through a dealer. Tesla's cannot be purchased through a dealer.
If I can get my car serviced from both Tesla direct and Chevrolet via the dealer or "distributor", does it matter to me? Nope.

@sunshine_eggo
I probably read it someplace on this forum and filed it away. But a quick Google search found this:

Is EG4 an American company?

EG4 was founded as an arm of Signature Solar in 2020 in order to bring batteries and integrated inverter solutions to the US market. They offer Texas-based repair, support, and assembly.

@sunshine_eggo
I probably read it someplace on this forum and filed it away. But a quick Google search found this:

Is EG4 an American company?

EG4 was founded as an arm of Signature Solar in 2020 in order to bring batteries and integrated inverter solutions to the US market. They offer Texas-based repair, support, and assembly.
It was but they realized they could make more money having them separate. There is a shave been a number of different issues that I would largely attribute to growing pains. Hopefully they get their act together; the issues that started this thread appear to have been resolved through firmware updates in a reasonable time frame, but in the intervening time frame SS made some stupid comments in the support and warranty department. Ideally they (including Luxpower and EG4) should have been able to give a timeline for alpha, beta, and formal release versions of the firmware within a week of issues coming up.

It was but they realized they could make more money having them separate. There is a shave been a number of different issues that I would largely attribute to growing pains. Hopefully they get their act together; the issues that started this thread appear to have been resolved through firmware updates in a reasonable time frame, but in the intervening time frame SS made some stupid comments in the support and warranty department. Ideally they (including Luxpower and EG4) should have been able to give a timeline for alpha, beta, and formal release versions of the firmware within a week of issues coming up.

I agree. It does seem that the technical problem in this instance has likely been resolved, at the loss of another customer. The BIG problem is that Signature Solar has an ongoing reputation of crappy support and it stretches back years and doesn't seem to be improving. Its not just in this thread. I'm finding it everywhere. The Youtube comments are scathing. As bad if not worse than what I have read on this forum. Hence my comments about going direct to Growatt or similar. My experience with terrible electrical equipment distributors is that they eventually get replaced. Manufactures find another avenue to sell their products and gradually, the terrible distributors die off. It happens all of the time. I'm a customer with about $15K to spend on solar and I am looking elsewhere. So in that regard Signature Solar has lost a chunk of money. Worse yet, I have the skills. experience, and equipment to install this stuff. So the level of support I should require is minimal. Which means my support requirements are clarification of the manual, if needed. And a method of warranty coverage if the device/s should fail. That's it. I think the OP in this case is also skilled. So once again, they gave away more profits by mistreating him.

I agree. It does seem that the technical problem in this instance has likely been resolved, at the loss of another customer. The BIG problem is that Signature Solar has an ongoing reputation of crappy support and it stretches back years and doesn't seem to be improving. Its not just in this thread. I'm finding it everywhere. The Youtube comments are scathing. As bad if not worse than what I have read on this forum. Hence my comments about going direct to Growatt or similar. My experience with terrible electrical equipment distributors is that they eventually get replaced. Manufactures find another avenue to sell their products and gradually, the terrible distributors die off. It happens all of the time. I'm a customer with about $15K to spend on solar and I am looking elsewhere. So in that regard Signature Solar has lost a chunk of money. Worse yet, I have the skills. experience, and equipment to install this stuff. So the level of support I should require is minimal. Which means my support requirements are clarification of the manual, if needed. And a method of warranty coverage if the device/s should fail. That's it. I think the OP in this case is also skilled. So once again, they gave away more profits by mistreating him.
Connect with Current Connected and spend your money there. If I didn't DIY my banks, buy used panels and order inverters / AIO direct from OEM I would have spent a lot more money with CC.
Search for Current Connected as well as posts by @HighTechLab on here and you'll see why I recommend them so much.
In fairness Solar Electric (formerly Northern Arizona Wind and Sun) as well as AltE are also great companies.
I've never ordered from SS, I've thought about it numerous times but continued / repeat issues seen here stop me...

Connect with Current Connected and spend your money there. If I didn't DIY my banks, buy used panels and order inverters / AIO direct from OEM I would have spent a lot more money with CC.
Search for Current Connected as well as posts by @HighTechLab on here and you'll see why I recommend them so much.
In fairness Solar Electric (formerly Northern Arizona Wind and Sun) as well as AltE are also great companies.
I've never ordered from SS, I've thought about it numerous times but continued / repeat issues seen here stop me...

Thanks for the recommendation. What AIO OEM do you have experience with ?
I will likely be buying used panels. I have a source within driving distance and they have a good reputation.
So cheap panels from a reliable source and no shipping costs other than time and gas.

I understand frustration with SS but if you could see how many units that have sold with happy customers it will change your mind. I for one have spent over 20k with SS and had my share of hardware problems. But SS has always helped me resolve then. I am very happy with the products and support i have received. There has been one occasion that I was on the phone with Markus (SS) after hours helping me though an issue with my inverter. He stayed on the phone with me for over an hour after he got home to resolve my problem. Cant say the bad overwhelmed the good I have delt with. No company is perfect by no means. They are growing fast and striving to bring innovation to our solar world.
That's my take on Signature Solar. I will buy from them again anytime I'm in need.

I'm sorry Dave but I cannot take you seriously all the time you're thinking that growatt will be better for you LOL they have a terrible reputation.

I cannot take you seriously all the time
Ha ha... Well then, that's your mistake, not mine! :)

If you know of write ups that show their terrible reputation, please point them out. I'd really like to read them.
I'm just not seeing them.

I did a forum search for "Growatt Problems" and this situation was bad. But no reasons as to why it happened. Multiple boxes popping is generally not a quality issue. Something caused that. But the mention of built in neutral - ground relays might be a problem. I don't think I would want a neutral ground relay inside the inverters when you have 3 inverters in a 3 phase setup. How would that work well? Who thought that was a good idea?

Everything else I could easily see via the search did not point to chronic quality issues.

If you know of other quality issues with Growatt, can you point them out?

I'm leaning towards keeping my setup offgrid. That seems to prevent a lot of issues. And then charging the batteries via the grid or generator if required. That also avoid some legality issues around permits, etc. My end goal is to use as little of the power grid as possible.

Thanks!

I noticed SRNE but didn't think that they sold anything in the US. So is that PowMr unit definitely a SRNE inverter?
I thought that PowMr was a Growatt brand?? Or is SRNE making them for Growatt?
I'm not 100% certain on this. It's my understanding SRNE is the OEM for some units sold by PowMr, Growatt is also an OEM that powmr may be reselling.
Very similar to Lux Power being the OEM for the 18kPV and Deye being the OEM for solark.

I'm sorry Dave but I cannot take you seriously all the time you're thinking that growatt will be better for you LOL they have a terrible reputation.
I have a Growatt and it is still working in my truck camper just fine.

It does have this annoying beep in low light as the SCC shuts down, other than that it runs everything I need and works very well. And yes, alarm is off.

Back