diy solar

diy solar

tesla model 3 full battery powerwall

teslabatt

Hi

I just bought a complete 2021 tesla model 3 long-range battery, 82kwh with a controller, to allow it to charge-discharge and for the BMS to function as if it was fitted to the car without the need to mess with the battery pack internals. I have also bought 15kw of solar panels for this setup.

I am now looking at an inverter that can handle a 400vdc battery pack, I was thinking of this 25kw one from Goodwe, the reason for choosing 25kw is to allow future expansion and also to allow the battery to be charged fully during the off-peak period

can anyone recommend another inverter that would be suitable for this application?

the plan is to be able to charge the battery on a mix of solar and off-peak energy, as well as sell back to the grid any excess
id also like some sort of smart control so I can leave my car plugged in, to take in any excess solar

my house is 3 phase and I'm on the waiting list with octopus energy to have a smart 3-phase meeter fitted in the coming months with an off-peak tariff

Attachments

• IMG_20220921_110903.jpg
    IMG_20220921_110903.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20220921_110903.jpg
    IMG_20220921_110903.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 56
Grid tied inverters are very expensive and have a lot of regulatory red tape. As for selling back your energy production, it will likely come nowhere to paying for your time or energy as most power companies greatly discount this. An offgrid (UPS) system is likely the best option. You would tie this to your grid input, but would not backfeed to the grid. Any solar production would charge your car, house batteries or direct loads throughout sunlight hours. There are a number of offgrid inverters that support 3-phase configurations. The savings on offgrid inverters will enable you to buy a lot of batteries. This offgrid you would describe to your power company and others as a UPS installation so it has nothing to do with the supply side. I have included a picture of my installation. The left panel is my grid tied input panel (meter on other side of the wall) that feeds each inverter AC input. The right panel is the load panel that receives the inverter(s) AC output and feeds my main load panel on the other side of the wall.

For your inverters, you would likely need three inverters, one for each phase, or a single 3-phase inverter (likely much more money).

Hope this helps.

-Jay

Attachments

• 129920E4-BECB-4369-BD28-8F0EB151BB38.jpeg
    129920E4-BECB-4369-BD28-8F0EB151BB38.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 51
GoodWe and Megarevo both have HV battery input along with being a Hybrid inverter. Do you have a way to communicate to the BMS on the Tesla battery as I've heard it's extremely difficult and not sure if anyway has been successful in communicating with it. I am using an Orion BMS instead and allowing the inverter to communicate with it and allow it to change parameters properly without having to deal with the Tesla unit.

Have you looked at the Sandi’s, Jack would love you if he was still here, he was a big proponent of using full packs due to the high currents at 48vdc and below.

Have you looked at the Sandi’s, Jack would love you if he was still here, he was a big proponent of using full packs due to the high currents at 48vdc and below.

Just reviving this thread. When you say "was", do mean that this person has died?

I too would like to pursue a 400V pack from a model 3 to serve as a residential battery electric storage device. The HV inverter options are not so mainstream (yet).

Just reviving this thread. When you say "was", do mean that this person has died?

I too would like to pursue a 400V pack from a model 3 to serve as a residential battery electric storage device. The HV inverter options are not so mainstream (yet).
yes, jack passed away, however his shop is still there.
evtv is the name

Back