diy solar

diy solar

The definitive guide to off grid & hybrid inverters?

apctjb

Solar Enthusiast
Has anyone compiled (and willing to share) a list of all the off grid & hybrid inverters available and how the are related.

For example Voltronic, MPP, Growatt, etc. are somehow related using similiar architecture as is Deye, SolArk and EG4 & Luxpower.

Would like to better understand the competitive landscape and the relationships between various brands.

1714239599359.png

Too much to keep up with.
But from the ones that you mentioned.
Sol-Ark is made by Deye.
MPP is made by Voltronics.
Two of the EG4's are made by Luxpower. (6kxp & 18kpv), one is made by Megrevo, and the rest are Voltronics.

Thanks, that a start. How about SRNE, are they Deye, Voltronics, or someone else?

Thanks, that a start. How about SRNE, are they Deye, Voltronics, or someone else?
To the best of my knowledge they are their own OEM. Many companies relabel some of their products, from Midnite DIY series to powmr, renogy, sungold, ecoworthy and others. Powmr and sungold also sell relabeled voltronics.
I'v been very happy with my ASF from them.

What they said, as far as I know.
Also, growatt is their own manufacturer too.
However some of their internal parts are similar to Voltronics. So, I'm guessing that they purchase them from the same source.

growatt is their own manufacturer too
Thanks; The Growatt SPF seem to be very similar to MPP but I believe they make there own grid tie inverters.

Oh goodness. Very hard to keep up with. We get new models every couple months it seems.

Then they will come out with new firmware which usually improves the product, but sometimes makes it worse.

These brands are not very consistent either. Sometimes a single product on their line will be a amazing, and everything else difficult. Really depends.

Fortress and LuxPro are similar, I have a Fortress 12,000 that's been working great, it also feeds back great if implemented I use as main power source and use grid as backup, it switches to grid slowly as your solar gets less if you have no backup . The software has a lot of capabilities automatically.

Very hard to keep up with. We get new models every couple months it seems
Yup, not easy to keep up with! Remember the day when there was only a couple of choices...

The Growatt SPF seem to be very similar to MPP
Not if you look closely.
As I said, they do share some of the internal boards with Voltronics (maker of MPP). But the enclosures, screens, software, and features are different.

Probably a better way to list inverters is to first define a solid definition and differences the terms like hybrid, AIO(All In One) actually means. Perhaps a clarification that we can all agree upon. Once that happens the term list could be added the the diysolar knowledge base.
It’s utterly confusing when you hear the term grid tied. Does it mean using the grid or exporting to it or both? What defines an inverter’s tier class? Or hybrid, don’t even get me started on that one.
If someone who’s handy with a spreadsheet or excel could make a list that at a glance you could run across check marks or performance values for easy comparisons for which attributes are desired. Right down to the details of things like idle current, noise at full load and if it’s non export, does it mean absolutely zero(leakage) The list can’t be written in stone and subject to some tweaks and input from observation. Of course there have to be disclaimers and opportunities for manufacturers to submit their specs. No, I’m not volunteering.

Last edited:
Oh goodness. Very hard to keep up with. We get new models every couple months it seems.

Then they will come out with new firmware which usually improves the product, but sometimes makes it worse.

These brands are not very consistent either. Sometimes a single product on their line will be a amazing, and everything else difficult. Really depends.
The Voltronic 6548 family was/is all over the place on quality. Depends on which clone and build date. So yeah there’s one example

Grid-tied = pushes power to the grid and relies on the grid.
Off grid = pushes power to a battery and does not rely on the grid.
Hybrid = a combination of both above.

AIO (All In One) = an inverter, SCC, AC charger, and transfer switch, in a single enclosure.
AIO's are available in both Off grid and Hybrid.

Back