diy solar

diy solar

The Freeform PV ground mount setup built by a madman.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
I replaced my 5 year old phone yesterday with a new one that has a much better camera (never used my old phone for much photo work) so I decided to do some testing of it today and also how I could transfer it to my computer for later use. Bit of a gray day for doing this but it hit me that my solar panel setup might be a good subject. I will say it works pretty good with my computer automatically recognizing it and I can simple select to transfer photos, after plugging in a USB connector between phone and PC, and selecting photo/video transfer. My old phone would not allow simple photo transfer. I had to do an email transfer if I wanted to get photos off it.

My panels started with just one mount holding 2-100w poly panels (this photo taken with my old Olympus 2MP digital). As you can see in the image it was built with using a Direct TV satellite dish to pole mount. This allowed me to adjust the panels in all directions to see how that would affect my power generation.

Time and further experimenting kept adding more of these pole mounted panels and as I advanced from simple 12vDC setup with mobile inverters to 24vDC AIO’s, that powered most of my household loads, I eventually went to a fixed type mount. More followed as I got other panels (200w and bifacial 100w) until I now have this hodgepodge setup with 3 arrays.

Looking at it now as it has evolved to this point I think of tearing it all down and redesigning the setup into a more simple layout. However it is working at the moment so inertia is likely going to mean it will be sometime in the future if ever.

How about other folks PV layout, do you have your mounting as you intend or is it also evolving as times goes on?

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20240410_093856971_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240410_093856971_HDR.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20240410_093919831_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240410_093919831_HDR.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20240410_093939322_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240410_093939322_HDR.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 47
I like it, but I don't think they would survive here. We had tornadoes in the area this morning, but we only had straight line winds here. Haven't heard estimates of wind speeds but we have a nice oak tree that was uprooted and a huge number of tree limbs broken on our property.

The good thing? Grid power is down, we are on the battery backup, and my wife is happy.

Had a few of the dish mounts laying about from the years of needing satellite to get TV and also internet. Obsolete these days with Cellular internet and other methods such as digital TV reception. My area is fairly protected from winds. About the worse I have seen in 25 years was a storm that produced 60mph gusts. However not far from where I live is tornado country.

ETA: The dish mounts I have determined are not really necessary and that fixed mounts is the way to go in the future.

How about other folks PV layout, do you have your mounting as you intend or is it also evolving as times goes on?
I've got my three strings on identical custom mounts and it took much more work than I was expecting.
I like your smaller and simpler mounting approach as I figure out how to add more later in the year.

I like it, but I don't think they would survive here. We had tornadoes in the area this morning, but we only had straight line winds here. Haven't heard estimates of wind speeds but we have a nice oak tree that was uprooted and a huge number of tree limbs broken on our property.

The good thing? Grid power is down, we are on the battery backup, and my wife is happy.
glad to hear you and family are safe.

Had a few of the dish mounts laying about from the years of needing satellite to get TV and also internet. Obsolete these days with Cellular internet and other methods such as digital TV reception. My area is fairly protected from winds. About the worse I have seen in 25 years was a storm that produced 60mph gusts. However not far from where I live is tornado country.

ETA: The dish mounts I have determined are not really necessary and that fixed mounts is the way to go in the future.
I'm a big fan of reusing/repurposing.

Back