diy solar

diy solar

The NiMH Beast

offgriddle

"FOREVER BEGINNING"
"The Beast", having seen well more that 3,650 cycles outside 24/7/365 in temperature swings from 110F to -20F, the two 800 mAh., Nickle Metal Hydride batteries that power this $20.00 lawn ornament are Herculean.

IMG_20200309_190952.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_191001.jpg
    IMG_20200309_191001.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20200309_191014.jpg
    IMG_20200309_191014.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1
Arent they? I pump amd dump heqdlamp amd radio batteries here for 10 years and more on a set. Have multiple sets, 40 or more batteries. Attrition has been slow and mainly due to me letting them self discharge. Some are loosing capacity amd we bought 16 more for the next 1p or so years.

Im a fan of Ovshinski. Terrible story, but he did improve the nimh and uni solar panels are still great stuff and were popular. Killing the electric car and suppression of solar deployment drove the comany into the ground.

Arent they? I pump amd dump heqdlamp amd radio batteries here for 10 years and more on a set. Have multiple sets, 40 or more batteries. Attrition has been slow and mainly due to me letting them self discharge. Some are loosing capacity amd we bought 16 more for the next 1p or so years.

Im a fan of Ovshinski. Terrible story, but he did improve the nimh and uni solar panels are still great stuff and were popular. Killing the electric car and suppression of solar deployment drove the comany into the ground.
Hmm interesting .. never heard of Stanford Ovshinski, a truly gifted individual, thank you.

The breadth of his inventions was truly amazing. Solar films, batteries, memory, hydrogen storage, etc. Sadly the company never really took off (I lost some money on ENER!).

One of the great ones for sure. We still have 6 136W uni stick-ons rolled up in the garage.... we will have a dedication as soon as they find a project!

The breadth of his inventions was truly amazing. Solar films, batteries, memory, hydrogen storage, etc. Sadly the company never really took off (I lost some money on ENER!).
I will read about Stanford.

How would you 800 watts of NiMH?
Uni solar modules were available with frames or as a big butyl backed sticker! 15" wide by 16' long. Mainly for standing seam metal roofing, but we have put them on all kinds of surfaces.

I have two of them on two sections of metal roofing panel for whatever. They can be mounted on a wall, dragged out into the yard. We used them as an auxilliary array in winter until i took down the old 4 conergy 185s and put up 8 solarworld 300s. We just laid the metal on the low pitched garage roof horizontally and secured with stainless safety wire. 2 seasons.

Uni solar modules were available with frames or as a big butyl backed sticker! 15" wide by 16' long. Mainly for standing seam metal roofing, but we have put them on all kinds of surfaces.

I have two of them on two sections of metal roofing panel for whatever. They can be mounted on a wall, dragged out into the yard. We used them as an auxilliary array in winter until i took down the old 4 conergy 185s and put up 8 solarworld 300s. We just laid the metal on the low pitched garage roof horizontally and secured with stainless safety wire. 2 seasons.
Nice ..

Back