diy solar

diy solar

Think it works?

BahamianPrepMan

Saw this cool Inverter/charger that claims to be able to power the inverter without the presence of batteries ? ... has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190928-091140_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190928-091140_Facebook.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 13
Wow I can't believe they are selling it. I was sent one and it was complete garbage. Really nice company, horrible product. It arrived in "safety mode" and I spent all afternoon trying to reset it. I got it to turn on, then I was unable to change the absorption voltage. I still have mine collecting dust in a corner.

Would love to hear from someone who can get these things to work. Maybe I was unlucky?

... [solar] power the inverter without the presence of batteries ? ... has anyone ever seen anything like this?
Yes!

Outback has the Skybox and Enphase is coming out with their Ensemble solution. Both claim to be able to provide solar power without batteries. Both solid companies so easy to believe.

The are also a couple of vendors (Pansonic (formerly Pika) and Sol-Ark) that claim to be able to provide solar power with a minimal subset of batteries (most need big batteries for surge control). Not to sure about the Pika, but Sol-Ark has a good story.

Update: forgot to mention, Outback has new firmware for the GS that allows frquency shifting on microinverters, so they may not need as-deep a battery anymore.

Last edited:
Many hybrid inverter models can work as a grid tie inverter no problem, without connecting batteries. I wonder if the OP meant running appliances directly without grid or batteries. There should always be some form of buffer in these systems. Going 100% without batteries is a bad idea, unless you are 100% grid tied. Then you use the grid as a load dump/buffer.

You can technically run small appliances off automotive dc dc buck converters. Over paneling is a must, and lots of sunshine required. Dont recommend doing that.

I’m pretty sure it’s a priority setting kind of thing and as guys already mentioned would appear to require battery and/or grid. And you set the priority setting accordingly...?
6BC983BC-DC38-4F51-A05B-6FBF2D741B09.jpeg

I wonder if the OP meant running appliances directly without grid or batteries.
I think so. The "dream" is to have a grid tied system that also provides power when the grid is down and the sun is out. All without the batteries since they are the economic Achilles heel.

It's good that these hybrid no-battery devices are emerging, but yeah... as Will & I said... you're going to want some battery for your sanity despite what the hardware can do. At least until we know more (for all I know they have ultracapacitors in there acting as batteries).

Wow I can't believe they are selling it. I was sent one and it was complete garbage. Really nice company, horrible product. It arrived in "safety mode" and I spent all afternoon trying to reset it. I got it to turn on, then I was unable to change the absorption voltage. I still have mine collecting dust in a corner.

Would love to hear from someone who can get these things to work. Maybe I was unlucky?
?‍♂️

Grid-tied PV... No Batteries. My system, which is only solar panels and a solar generator, runs the whole house during sunny days and pumps enough power into the grid that I am using less power per month than I consume. With no batteries, however... when the grid goes down, I have no power in the house... even on sunny days. I want to add batteries to the system and set it up such that the solar panels continue to run the house if there is sun and the batteries take over if there isn't. It makes me angry to have no power in the house on a sunny day with a roof full of solar panels. I am completely new to this but I would like to build the battery wall myself and make the modifications myself. I'm looking for advice on how to proceed.

Unless you have a connection to the greedy grid and some sort of arrangement to sell your wattage to the grid, solar anything without batteries is just for the novelty of it.

Grid-tied PVr... when the grid goes down, I have no power in the house... even on sunny days.
As you already have a PV system you probably want to look at AC coupling solutions. If you're inverter is at end-of-life and you need a replacement, there are some hybrids (e.g. Sol-Ark, Skybox) that might be worth it. If you have Enphase microinverters, the IQ8 Ensemble solution may work with your system.

... I would like to build the battery wall myself and make the modifications myself. I'm looking for advice on how to proceed.
The DIY LiFePO4 Battery Banks is probably the best forum for battery questions/advice.

Back