diy solar

diy solar

Units moderator. There should be a units moderator assigned.

Worked in the Construction Industry in Canada for 4 decades & didn’t really go to the lumber store for 38x89s or buy 18mm 1220x2440 sheets of plywood ,,, but we “wood” joke about it 😁.
That’s another oddball. From what I have understood ”two by four” lumber in US about half inch undersize.
Here it is also commonly called ”two by four” even if we never ever use inches in construction. But unlike in US it is lot closer to full 2”x4” as dimensions are 51x101mm +-2mm or more commonly 48x98 +-1mm

The excuse I've heard is they are approx 2" x 4" when rough cut, but then when they clean them up a bit (can tell because the edges are rounded over) they end up losing about 1/4" on every face., hence them becoming closer to 1.5" x 3.5".

Same here.

(Although I'm not sure about those vacuum-filled tires on the so-called "Lunar" rover.)

Where it absolutely, positively has to be correct for the tire to fit, use inches.
Width? Doesn't matter much. Notice how the bead can move around a lot to fit a "wide" range of rim widths?

Why not- atmospheric pressure at sea level is about 14.6psi (if we want to use those US hogshead per figleaf or whatever lol) and your average car tyre is usually 32psi to 36psi which means that taking the exact same tyres to the moon (ignoring the temperature extremes) means that to get the exact same 'pressure difference' you'd just drop the tyre pressures from 36psi to 21.4psi and you have the exact same pressure differential...

Ain't science fun...

That’s another oddball. From what I have understood ”two by four” lumber in US about half inch undersize.
Here it is also commonly called ”two by four” even if we never ever use inches in construction. But unlike in US it is lot closer to full 2”x4” as dimensions are 51x101mm +-2mm or more commonly 48x98 +-1mm
They used to actually cut them 2 inches by 4 inches, but as the wood dried it shrank.

Once they got people to accept the smaller boards they started cutting then 1&1/2 by 3&1/2.
So now if it shrinks further they can blame the carpenter for faulty installation.

The actual truth in Canada it is just like what @OffGridForGood wrote ,,, it is like we are Unit Bilingual here

View attachment 195991

Worked in the Construction Industry in Canada for 4 decades & didn’t really go to the lumber store for 38x89s or buy 18mm 1220x2440 sheets of plywood ,,, but we “wood” joke about it 😁.

In another hobby of mine, aviation I have to “fathom” yet another unit system “Nautical”. I am just thankful the majority of my time is in hours 😎.

Funnily enough- plywood sheets in Australia do come in exactly that 1200x2400mm (or 1.2m x 2.4m), but lumber is also in metric
eg
Screenshot from 2024-02-17 05-02-33.pngScreenshot from 2024-02-17 05-02-17.png
or for plywood
Screenshot from 2024-02-17 05-01-19.png

Why not- atmospheric pressure at sea level is about 14.6psi (if we want to use those US hogshead per figleaf or whatever lol) and your average car tyre is usually 32psi to 36psi which means that taking the exact same tyres to the moon (ignoring the temperature extremes) means that to get the exact same 'pressure difference' you'd just drop the tyre pressures from 36psi to 21.4psi and you have the exact same pressure differential...

Ain't science fun...

Yes, the pressure would be about right.

But if you drove over a nail and patched it, how would you pump it back up?

1708110358246.png

Anyway, I have recollection from my childhood about the springy fiberglass or something airless tires.

Ok, built by a mattress/box springs manufacturer and wrapped in window screen.
Senility rears its ugly head? "What a terrible thing it is to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that is."

Senility rears its ugly head? "What a terrible thing it is to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that is."
Being senile does not bother me as much as forgetting things. Now what was it we were talking about?

How about a ton of helium filled balloons?

Or how many balloons can you fill with a ton of helium?

Yes, the pressure would be about right.

But if you drove over a nail and patched it, how would you pump it back up?

View attachment 196033

Anyway, I have recollection from my childhood about the springy fiberglass or something airless tires.

Ok, built by a mattress/box springs manufacturer and wrapped in window screen.
Unless alien construction crews as as sloppy as ones here on earth- I suspect there will be a distinct lack of nails lying around....
;-)

Nah, it's similar to which is heavier, a ton of dry sand or a ton of wet sand?
Calibration labs have to take into account even the density variations between calibration weights. ”Conventional mass” is for the ideal standard conditions for a weight with 8.0g/cm3 density.
2kg watermelon you buy from supermarket is actually slighly heavier as the scale is adjusted with steel weights. ”True mass” of 2kg watermelon is bit over 2.001kg

So ton of dry sand and wet sand have different true mass but which way?

Calibration labs have to take into account even the density variations between calibration weights. ”Conventional mass” is for the ideal standard conditions for a weight with 8.0g/cm3 density.
2kg watermelon you buy from supermarket is actually slighly heavier as the scale is adjusted with steel weights. ”True mass” of 2kg watermelon is bit over 2.001kg
Depends on your location on the planet and height above sea level too
(you weigh a fraction less at the equator than at the poles (because of centrifugal force) and also height above sea level (further away from the center of mass of the earth lol)- which is why mass isn't the same as weight...

Get 'high enough' and your weight becomes practically zero, but your mass remains the same...

I work with metric at work, it's actually preferable at times. But, building my house, lumber in metric would have sucked.

Back