diy solar

diy solar

Upgrading solar on my "Pre-wired for solar" travel trailer - Can I use existing charger to charge batteries with generator?

cbarry12

I have a travel trailer that I am installing a new solar system onto. It is pre-wired for solar but only had a 10 watt trickle charging panel on roof, next to a 3-port rooftop connection box. I intend to follow Will's video on wiring the transfer switch so that I can charge my batteries and run appliances with either the 3000 watt inverter on a generator. I have 2 questions:
  1. Can I continue to use the converter/charger that came with my WFCO Power Center to charge the batteries when connected to a generator, or do I have to purchase and install a separate charger? The one that came with the trailer claims to be a 3 stage charger.
  2. If I can use the existing charger, will the transfer switch prevent the creation of a damaging circular charging situation, where the batteries keep receiving charge from the charger when using the inverter? I know I worded that clumsily, but I am a beginner. I need to know if I have to make sure I power off the existing charger in the power center whenever I turn on the inverter. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

What model/year is your travel trailer? I ask this because it would help determine the solar input. But what I have read about these ports is that you still need a solar charge controller that connects between the solar panel array and the 10 watt trickle input. My trailer has a "solar ready" port as well, but it is located on the front of the frame. Here is a video that discusses the Furrion 10A Solar Power Port, but remember - if you're going to use this and depending on your trailer, you may need a solar charge controller -

As for using the WFCO Power Center: Yes, you can use it to charge your batteries when connected to Shore Power (house, RV park, etc) or your generator (again, 30 amp). What type of batteries? As long as you're using a Lead Acid(LA), or AGM, then you're fine. If you're running Lithium, I would recommend changing the power center converter to something that can handle the Lithium battery requirement. Also, WFCO does carry a TS-30 transfer switch that can be installed on the WF-8900 series power center - https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/t-30/

I am in the Lithium battery scenario. I am going to be calling WFCO and asking if they have a drop-in replacement for my WFCO-8965 converter, if not I will need to find an alternative. Here is a link to the 8900 series Manual - https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/8900-Series-Manual-web.pdf

I am also a newbie to all this, but it makes sense to me because of my background. The only issue I am having a problem wrapping my head around is how to integrate all of this into my travel trailer. Design mode.. ;)

I will be following this post and I hope my statements above help you find the correct path to take.

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get the answer to my question. I did purchase a replacement drop-in [Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV 12 Volt 60 Amp Lithium Power Center] for the WFCO Converter/Charger from Progressive Dynamics.

I am in the process of installing my new system. My trailer is a 2017 ORV 23BHS and it has a Zamp 3-port roof cap. I am putting four 200-watt solar panels on the roof, wired with 2 pairs of series connected panels then wired in parallel. These will be wired through a 30 Amp fuse to a Victron SmartSolar 150/70 tr Charge Controller. The controller will charge 3 Battleborn 12v 100ah Lithium Batteries wired in parallel. I am using a Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor. Connected to the batteries will be a GoWise 3000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter. I will run an outdoor grade 12/2 w/ground wire from the inverter AC outlet to the Go Power! TS-30 30 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch. I will wire this switch as shown in Will’s video and attach the Progressive Dynamics Charger’s power supply to the corresponding terminals in the transfer switch. If I have everything correct, this should allow me to run all of my AC outlets and appliances using my batteries unless I am connected to shore or generator power, in which case the transfer switch will take over and power the AC panel in the power center while also turning on power to the Charger so that the batteries get charged.
I am still working out some of the details as I do the install. Good luck on your job! I will monitor the thread and post any updates that might be useful.

I called and spoke with WFCO Support, and they don't have any recommendations on replacing the WF-8965MBA with a Progressive Dynamics (PD9160ALV). They did mention they are working on a replacement that supports Lithium batteries, but no details as to when it will be available.

So, I am hoping to see if the Progressive Dynamics you purchased is a direct drop-in replacement, or if you had to mount your new charger somewhere else near your distribution box and bypass the WFCO MBA entirely.

Thanks!!

Back