diy solar

diy solar

VERSION 1 EG4LL batteries problems with batteries not being recognized.

SniperX

Solar Enthusiast
I know these batteries are the first version, but @EG4_Jared and @EG4_Jarrett maybe you can help.
I updated the batteries per Jarrett. I saw that the updater said things were a success.
I watched the video by Matt Cochran (2 years ago on SS youtube channel) where he was talking about comms with a Growatt.
I wired my communications cables starting from the bottom like he indicated. I have attached the read/write cord (as last ditch effort) since the other 2 cords won't work.
I can open the port, but when I try to get info on the battery (just trying the master which is set at 123 down and 4 up) per Matt, it says it failed.
I cannot get the computer to recognize any battery or upload any info.
I want to see the status on the computer before I hook to my Schneider. I am at a total loss.
What program do I need to see these batteries on my Dell computer (EG4 LL V1) and what cord? What is the correct dip switch setting (because I emailed @EG4_Jarrett and have not heard from him yet)
Is there a video to watch this or a .pdf because nothing is working. No one even uses these anymore

Here’s my semi-homemade cable that works with BMS_Tools
Only 7 and 8 are used on the rj45. You need to plug it into the RS-485 port.

CANbus communication is different. Does the Growatt Schneider use CAN or RS-485 for comms?

IMG_6653.jpeg

Last edited:

Attachments

• 6CD8518E-B1F1-454D-BF0E-1E9E198AC626_1_201_a.jpeg
    6CD8518E-B1F1-454D-BF0E-1E9E198AC626_1_201_a.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 5
I use “pack” IDs 1, 2, and 3 via the DIP switch on the LL-v1s.

I normally use the older BMS_Tools 2.2.0 (yes they started over at v1.0).
The older version lets you select which “pack” to monitor.
Are you plugging into the RS-485 port or the CAN port?

Any chance the cable is bad? or wired with +/- swapped?

Also, see
Post in thread 'EG4 LL V2 & BMS Tools / BMS Test'
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-ll-v2-bms-tools-bms-test.75186/post-954572

Last edited:

Also, see
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-ll-v2-bms-tools-bms-test.75186/post-954572
The cable works because it updated all 6 of the batteries. Where can I find that older version? Yes, I am plugging into the RS-485 port. I will check that post out. I really appreciate you trying to help. I am at the end of my rope. lol

Also, see
OMG. Do I have to worry I bricked these batteries? You have to be kidding. How do you know?

If the on-board display is working, they are not bricked.
push the Enter button on one if the batteries, status screen should show

It comes on but I cannot get anywhere with holding the button down for 5 seconds to get into another menu...
Ok- I went and tried the display again, and yes, pushing enter takes me to another screen (maybe voltage, I didn't really pay attention) and a few other screens, so that probably means it is not bricked correct @ricardocello?

Ok- I went and tried the display again, and yes, pushing enter takes me to another screen (maybe voltage, I didn't really pay attention) and a few other screens, so that probably means it is not bricked correct @ricardocello?
Not bricked, let’s see if EG4 can help you.
Were these purchased from Signature Solar? if so, see if Jess will help.

I think you need a different cable, the “read-write” programming cable won’t let you talk to the batteries. I think.
Edit: Resolved below, for others watching.

Last edited:
Not bricked, let’s see if EG4 can help you.
Were these purchased from Signature Solar? if so, see if Jess will help.

I think you need a different cable, the “read-write” programming cable won’t let you talk to the batteries. I think.
It worked!!! I watched the video about the V2 battery where he says to change the ID to 64 for the V2 battery! I read somewhere there is only 16 spots for V1, so I changed it to that and tried and it moved from offline to online!
THANK YOU for helping a Newbie! I am forever grateful to you @ricardocello. I have never seen that video!
AS A BONUS, these batteries are over 2 years old, and have been stored (never used yet) and my SOH is 100%!!!!!!! Woo Hoo.

Attachments

• 862011A3-D9BF-407B-A036-C1D7991C3E9B.jpeg
    862011A3-D9BF-407B-A036-C1D7991C3E9B.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It worked!!! I watched the video about the V2 battery where he says to change the ID to 64 for the V2 battery! I read somewhere there is only 16 spots for V1, so I changed it to that and tried and it moved from offline to online!
THANK YOU for helping a Newbie! I am forever grateful to you @ricardocello. I have never seen that video!
AS A BONUS, these batteries are over 2 years old, and have been stored (never used yet) and my SOH is 100%!!!!!!! Woo Hoo.

Glad to see that you got this working, sorry that I was late to the thread!

Back