diy solar

diy solar

Victron BMV-712 Microcontroller

sunworshipper

Does anyone know what microcontroller Victron uses in their BMV-712 bluetooth battery monitor?

The main unit is just a display to interface the shunt.
Are you sure? I took the PCB off from my BMV 712 shunt. There's no microcontroller on that board. If the display unit contains just the LCD display, why have the relay contacts on the display unit? Would make more sense to have the relay connections close to the battery where other DC devices are.

I believe that the display unit also houses a PCB with a microcontroller.

why have the relay contacts on the display unit? Would make more sense to have the relay connections close to the battery where other DC devices are.
Why would that make more sense? The shunt needs to be located close to the batteries, and the display can be in any convenient location. There isn't really much limitation to what you control with that relay.

I believe that the display unit also houses a PCB with a microcontroller.
But... This does seem correct; I suspect that the display unit is more than just a display. I think the PCB for the shunt is the same for the various BMV models, which would mean that it's the electronics in the display unit that are different.

TI
Why would that make more sense? The shunt needs to be located close to the batteries, and the display can be in any convenient location. There isn't really much limitation to what you control with that relay.
The relay is triggered by a digital signal generated by a microcontroller. Placing the relay far away from the microcontroller would expose the digital lines to noise. So, the relay is usually close to the brains of the operation.

I decided to cut a 'window' so that I can peek inside. The controller is a TI MSP439F6733.

1709927029785.png

TI

The relay is triggered by a digital signal generated by a microcontroller. Placing the relay far away from the microcontroller would expose the digital lines to noise. So, the relay is usually close to the brains of the operation.

I decided to cut a 'window' so that I can peek inside. The controller is a TI MSP439F6733.

View attachment 200881
I learned something new, thanks.

Back