diy solar

diy solar

Video i wish to see.

Ron

I would like Will to take his 24 volts, 2000-watt setup and add a wind turbine and make a video on how he would wire this. I think a hybrid setup would work great.
I plan on using such a setup in a cabin.

It would be a simple matter to replace the solar charger with a dual solar/wind charger, and still use one of Will's setups. Use a schematic that is in line with the total wattage input from both solar and wind.

And I have no idea the quality of this, but you can also get a wind/solar controller with integrated automatic transfer switch.

Well, to be fair, you'd have to be a little daft to put your wind turbine near ground level. I have several friends who are very happy with under $200 wind turbines from Amazon. They don't make a lot of power, but they do make power all night, which is nice.

In any case, the most professional wind turbine video ever made has already been posted here:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but Wind power, in general, is awful... for details: see: www.solacity.com/small-wind-turbine-truth/
Basically, the problem is most areas have low wind average speeds near ground level.

That's a well written article, with lots of specific info, but it's main focus is for grid tie and comparing wind to solar. Wind will never do what solar does, but it is a great addition for supplemental power.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but Wind power, in general, is awful... for details: see: www.solacity.com/small-wind-turbine-truth/
Basically, the problem is most areas have low wind average speeds near ground level.
I was considering a turbine on my garage roof. Then I got into the gritty details of how much wind there really was here, and realized it wasn't going to provide any real power consistently.

Rob Becker's, the author of that article is a friend of mine and also my primary solar equipment supplier who I have sent a LOT of business to. He is an engineer and knows his stuff and that article explains a lot and very well. As a few noted, you have to have the right location & conditions while others just go off and make mistakes thanks to a lack of critical thinking. IF your pondering Wind, then before piling a bunch of cash out, get a fairly simple wireless "Weather Station" that you can pole mount and place it where you think it will work for your wind and watch wind speeds etc... many have logging capabilities. Sometimes a 10' height difference can really make a difference. Not all turbines are equal either and there is some serious crap out there, so even before wandering down that rabbit hole check to see what's certified & tested by checking out places like this: http://www.smallwindcertification.org/certified-small-turbines/

An interesting Read if anyone is interested; What’s Up With Micro Wind Turbines? They’re Up! — CleanTechnica Interview,
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/09/1...-theyre-up-cleantechnica-exclusive-interview/

There are specific locations where you can put a ground mounted wind turbine (under 30 feet even) and generate a decent amount of power. A good example is the beach cliffs at marina California. The wind blows all day. Stick a turbine there and you are set..

But yes, for many people including myself, wind is impractical. Sun is easier to harvest than wind.

And wiring up a wind turbine is dead simple. Just connect charge controller to your battery. You can have multiple solar and wind power sources charging a single battery bank.

What confuses most people is the difference between a solar and wind charge controller. They are totally different, and using a solar charge controller with a wind turbine does not work. Wind turbines are 3 phase alternating current, and a solar panel is DC. Wind turbines need a wind turbine controller with a load dump, usually a resistor for the small ones.

If you want to have solar and wind charging a single battery, just wire it up as you normally would. Positive wire goes to positive, negative wire goes to negative.

There are specific locations where you can put a ground mounted wind turbine (under 30 feet even) and generate a decent amount of power. A good example is the beach cliffs at marina California. The wind blows all day. Stick a turbine there and you are set..

But yes, for many people including myself, wind is impractical. Sun is easier to harvest than wind.

And wiring up a wind turbine is dead simple. Just connect charge controller to your battery. You can have multiple solar and wind power sources charging a single battery bank.

What confuses most people is the difference between a solar and wind charge controller. They are totally different, and using a solar charge controller with a wind turbine does not work. Wind turbines are 3 phase alternating current, and a solar panel is DC. Wind turbines need a wind turbine controller with a load dump, usually a resistor for the small ones.

If you want to have solar and wind charging a single battery, just wire it up as you normally would. Positive wire goes to positive, negative wire goes to negative.

In the Small / Micro wind turbines, there are 3 phase, 1 phase, AC and DC models and each with their own unique requirements. Some Solar Controller's will also handle wind (Midnite Classics for example).

Back