diy solar

diy solar

Who is actually manufacturing this inverter?

Most companies have some form of team page or company directory for at least key decision makers. You then have other resources like LinkedIn, zoominfo, Dunn and broadsheet, Lexis nexus. There's tons of companies that mine job listing to get this info.
Almost every company has to report their size and revenue for one reason or another. This data is logged and accessible.
Legit companies are proud of their team members and company size so report themselves

So is Sol-Ark not doing this? We're on the websites you mention. Our job listings are mined. Our CEO and COO are named on our website. In this industry, if you put too many people on your website, they start getting recruited by others (it is a hot market) and I only rarely see companies put contact information of their executives on any public facing webpage. Always seeking to do better, but this information is readily available on LinkedIn, for example.

But you can easily get in touch with Sol-Ark - we commonly lead the pack when it comes to responsive support. It's incredibly important to the company.

So is Sol-Ark not doing this? We're on the websites you mention. Our job listings are mined. Our CEO and COO are named on our website. In this industry, if you put too many people on your website, they start getting recruited by others (it is a hot market) and I only rarely see companies put contact information of their executives on any public facing webpage. Always seeking to do better, but this information is readily available on LinkedIn, for example.

But you can easily get in touch with Sol-Ark - we commonly lead the pack when it comes to responsive support. It's incredibly important to the company.
Zoominfo which is by far the leader in this industry is showing under 25 employees and 5mm revenue. I trust their information more than anything else. Although their info is easily 1-3 years out of date as they have a reputation of providing reliable info not swings of employee hiring and firing. So if your company has rapid growth then sure it could be 100-500 employees now but idk if that really counts

Guess we'll find out shortly when they release their S-1 in the coming months :)

I hope your attitude changes when and if Sol-Ark IPOs, when you are able to access public information which you seek (as is disclosed by any publicly listed company) and that you participate in the offering. If or when it happens, it will be a great one.

ZoomInfo isn't an "official statement of employee count" website either. Still haven't found an example of where private companies are making official statements about employee counts, as you suggested was so important. Seems like everyone is using scraping algorithms to gather what is very difficult information to gather. Seems to me it is typical for private companies not to make official employee count statements, but again... you can infer it based on the leasing article which ZoomInfo references above.

A quick LinkedIn search reveals ZoomInfo is obviously lacking on their scraping algorithms. Do you really think Sol-Arks revenue is <$5M? Even 3 years ago? SMH.

I hope your attitude changes when and if Sol-Ark IPOs, when you are able to access public information which you seek (as is disclosed by any publicly listed company) and that you participate in the offering. If or when it happens, it will be a great one.

ZoomInfo isn't an "official statement of employee count" website either. Still haven't found an example of where private companies are making official statements about employee counts, as you suggested was so important. Seems like everyone is using scraping algorithms to gather what is very difficult information to gather. Seems to me it is typical for private companies not to make official employee count statements, but again... you can infer it based on the leasing article which ZoomInfo references above.

A quick LinkedIn search reveals ZoomInfo is obviously lacking on their scraping algorithms. Do you really think Sol-Arks revenue is <$5M? Even 3 years ago? SMH.
Zoominfo is the gold standard of company data... it's why they make 300MM selling this info. I've found them to be 99% accurate. They also have other means and tools to pull private info and not just scraped.

Sol-arks reported revenue could easily be 5MM if they're just reselling products or receiving some licensing as others as suggested.

Not sure what you're asking but you can look up a ton of reputable companies and get info on their company size and staff on their website or on statements. Many like to sign up for best places to work type events and have to state that info

Zoominfo is the gold standard of company data... it's why they make 300MM selling this info. I've found them to be 99% accurate. They also have other means and tools to pull private info and not just scraped.

Sol-arks reported revenue could easily be 5MM if they're just reselling products or receiving some licensing as others as suggested.

Not sure what you're asking but you can look up a ton of reputable companies and get info on their company size and staff on their website or on statements. Many like to sign up for best places to work type events and have to state that info
sorry they are bad data... maybe a new field for them

Guess Sol-Ark is the 1% then.
ZoomInfo is obviously wrong on employee count and their revenue estimate is whack.

Sol-Ark does very little regarding sales + marketing, actually. We focus on making great products and providing great support.
Take it for what you will.

Sorry but Sol-Ark and Rolls Royce are not in my social economic bracket. No matter who makes the components for them.

Guess Sol-Ark is the 1% then.
ZoomInfo is obviously wrong on employee count and their revenue estimate is whack.

Sol-Ark does very little regarding sales + marketing, actually. We focus on making great products and providing great support.
Take it for what you will.
Again this is something you should bring up to management and they should act on getting resolved ASAP. There's resources for them to have corrected and accurate info.

This isn't sales and marketing this is operations and management. Having incorrect data isn't just harmful for sales but in partner relationships and both sides of B2B, as well as hiring.

You're saying "take our word we're legit" when everything else is saying different. Would you invest and buy products in a company that you can't properly vet? A warranty means nothing if the company isn't around anymore

Again this is something you should bring up to management and they should act on getting resolved ASAP. There's resources for them to have corrected and accurate info.

This isn't sales and marketing this is operations and management. Having incorrect data isn't just harmful for sales but in partner relationships and both sides of B2B, as well as hiring.

You're saying "take our word we're legit" when everything else is saying different. Would you invest and buy products in a company that you can't properly vet? A warranty means nothing if the company isn't around anymore
I think it's sweet that you care so much.

Sorry but Sol-Ark and Rolls Royce are not in my social economic bracket. No matter who makes the components for them.

Hybrid inverters save money. They don't increase project cost.

The Sol-Ark is the largest and most powerful hybrid AIO on the market. It has 10% more battery charger amps, 50% more MPPT, and 25% more daytime AC power than the Luxpower. That gets you the flexibility to choose lower cost modules... for larger arrays - particularly rooftop arrays, that more than makes up the cost difference between the LuxPower and you aren't running the unit at max spec if you need the 12kW power (such as for NEM3 or other virtual power plant incentives... which are only growing in number).

You get what you pay for, but there are considerations pro installers must make which DIYers can avoid. Sol-Ark's DC optimizers will provide in-platform shade management and rapid shutdown compliance, without juggling multiple monitoring portals on site, for example. We have multiple battery partners which are good to go re. UL9540-2020 (mandated in California today and across most of the the USA next year). You want easy? Go with Homegrid. You want great UI with load management? Go with Storz. You want low cost per kwh? Go with Pytes. Ultimately, DIYers can always save money compared to a pro installers, and that doesn't matter if you use a top quality product, or go with a cheaper option with less features / spec. But you're looking at a marginal difference in cost between Sol-Ark and Luxpower unless you're snagging those $4k earliest models (which... just no). It is possible to go to cheap and end up with a very expensive brick instead of a functioning system. The warranty is only as good as the company behind it.

If you go with Luxpower, fine. It won't be more cost-effective for larger installs, because of the MPPT sizing. It's common to blow out the PV size for offgrid for cloudy day production. And for grid-tied, I think we are moving toward a future where people will want to discharge batteries to the grid somewhere between a 1C to C/2 rate on a regular basis. Only Sol-Ark has the endurance testing to back up the claim that it can do that every day for 10 years under warranty. But the idea that Luxpower is an equivalent or better inverter is simply not true. It is a smaller and cheaper inverter, and repped by very different companies. Some may prefer the slightly lower cost.

But can't we all admit that Luxpower ripped off the Sol-Ark 15k? Sol-Ark is the thought leader in this space, and that difference will only continue to add value over the years as the product line grows.

If you don't need something as large as the 15k, you can always go with a smaller inverter. When we launch the load controller, it will really start to lead the pack in terms of cost-effective whole system level design, both on and off grid. Not to rest on our laurels, we have tremendous field experience with our inverter product line, and are growing into a comprehensive platform like Enphase/Solaredge/Tesla.

All I know is that if you can swing it, everyone should go out and get some panels and an inverter. I would recommend a decent size AIO. Get what you want, just start making power. The 18K looks like a nice unit. I can't say, I didn't buy one. I bought the Sol-Ark 15K. Mounted it to the wall, connected some wires, turned it on, and bingo, meter slowed down. So cool.

There is no way this ends up any different than Ford/Chevy/Dodge. They'll all get you up and down the road, regardless of if you wouldn't get caught dead in the ones you don't own.

What if I told you Sol-Ark CEO has already issued a statement, on the DIY forum, over 2 years ago? Do your research.
Ok, if you can get Deye to corroborate that, we will believe you.

The Sol-Ark is the largest and most powerful hybrid AIO on the market. It has 10% more battery charger amps, 50% more MPPT, and 25% more daytime AC power than the Luxpower. That gets you the flexibility to choose lower cost modules... for larger arrays - particularly rooftop arrays, that more than makes up the cost difference between the LuxPower and you aren't running the unit at max spec if you need the 12kW power (such as for NEM3 or other virtual power plant incentives... which are only growing in number).
you do 17kw, we do 21 already did the math here : https://diysolarforum.com/threads/the-eg4-18kpv-can-handle-18-21kw-of-pv-on-its-inputs.62898/

In the module business myself, what style of the module do you think are cheaper? M6, m10?

we can use more solar power overall, provide more power from batteries, and correct line balance. we just can't sell as much, which is not the problem these days for most people.

If you go with Luxpower, fine. It won't be more cost-effective for larger installs, because of the MPPT sizing. It's common to blow out the PV size for offgrid for cloudy day production. And for grid-tied, I think we are moving toward a future where people will want to discharge batteries to the grid somewhere between a 1C to C/2 rate on a regular basis. Only Sol-Ark has the endurance testing to back up the claim that it can do that every day for 10 years under warranty. But the idea that Luxpower is an equivalent or better inverter is simply not true. It is a smaller and cheaper inverter, and repped by very different companies. Some may prefer the slightly lower cost.

no endurance results yet, but do have thermal images of both after 5 hours at 10kw tho...

But can't we all admit that Luxpower ripped off the Sol-Ark 15k? Sol-Ark is the thought leader in this space, and that difference will only continue to add value over the years as the product line grows.

we all ripped off Solax, Tesla, Voltacon, Goodwe and Growatt...

1687460583996.png

Last edited:
Hybrid inverters save money. They don't increase project cost.

You get what you pay for, but there are considerations pro installers must make which DIYers can avoid. Sol-Ark's DC optimizers will provide in-platform shade management and rapid shutdown compliance, without juggling multiple monitoring portals on site, for example. We have multiple battery partners which are good to go re. UL9540-2020 (mandated in California today and across most of the the USA next year). You want easy? Go with Homegrid. You want great UI with load management? Go with Storz. You want low cost per kwh? Go with Pytes. Ultimately, DIYers can always save money compared to a pro installers, and that doesn't matter if you use a top quality product, or go with a cheaper option with less features / spec. But you're looking at a marginal difference in cost between Sol-Ark and Luxpower unless you're snagging those $4k earliest models (which... just no). It is possible to go to cheap and end up with a very expensive brick instead of a functioning system. The warranty is only as good as the company behind it.

If you don't need something as large as the 15k, you can always go with a smaller inverter. When we launch the load controller, it will really start to lead the pack in terms of cost-effective whole system level design, both on and off grid. Not to rest on our laurels, we have tremendous field experience with our inverter product line, and are growing into a comprehensive platform like Enphase/Solaredge/Tesla.

I appreciate that Sol-Ark has a teammate like you, @jrcromer , who promote and endorse the company they serve. I actually have been too busy to respond directly to some of public comments from Sol-Ark regarding Luxpower. Here now I would like to briefly address this particular statement:

The phrase "you get what you pay for" shouldn't come from a specific manufacturer; it should be left to the judgment of the consumers.

We and Deye (your manufacturing partner) started developing this US version inverter around the same time.
In 2018, our AIO hybrid inverter was already being used in markets like South Africa. However, due to certain unfair exclusive agency agreement issues, we couldn't enter the market for the US standard machines as originally planned in 2019.
Our founders team has over 10 years of inverter experience. Our founder, Jin Wang, was the 2nd co-founder of Growatt in 2010, and since then, Growatt has sold hundreds of thousands of various solar inverters, including hybrid inverters, every year.

Personally, I purchased and tested Voltronic's Infini-Solar 3k, Solax's 5kW, and GoodWe bi-directional inverters 13 years ago. At that time, these models were also referred to as hybrid inverters, but it was still the era of lead-acid batteries, and the cost of batteries was not affordable for ordinary users to have such an energy storage system. Additionally, regulators in various countries did not emphasize the development of Distributed Energy Storage networks. Regardless, we never claim to be the inventors of hybrid inverters; we have always strived to manufacture hybrid inverters that better meet the expectations of today's users and comply with different regional regulatory standards.
Surely I believe Sol-Ark has made tons of efforts to make their products more excellent for the American customers. Not just the product itself, Sol-Ark has built an excellent customers /installers service network.

Did Luxpower copy Sol-Ark inverters? It is easy to have such a misconception, and I don't blame you for thinking so as you can find a lot of same features between these 2 brands. Before the release of the new version, we did benefit from many suggestions, including those from the EG4 team, which mentioned comparisons with other inverter brands. For example, someone asked, "Can you have a wiring space as large as Sol-Ark's?" We couldn't meet all the suggestions in practice, but we knew that all our improvements had to be based on two fundamental principles: 1) not breaking the law or infringing on any protected patents, and 2) putting user needs at the center.

Another significant reason why similar products with similar functions may appear alike is the local electrical codes and standards. For example, the external placement of the RSD button and the requirement to use components from the standardized list.

Furthermore, concerning third-party lifespan testing, I admit that we have not conducted as many tests in this area compared to Sol-Ark. However, that doesn't mean our quality is inferior. A company's assurance of product quality, such as a limited 10-year warranty, is not just an advertisement; it is a commitment of responsibility that has been tested and accepted by the market. Clearly, if a company fails to deliver on such a promise, it would be digging its own grave and pushing the company off a cliff.

Anyway, in the end, I want to say that the benefit of a free market is that it encourages competition, leading to better products with better prices for consumers. We are open to this and have a forward-looking approach. Beyond our two companies, there are more and more inverter brands joining this competition, which drives rapid industrial development. Everyone's efforts will contribute to achieving "Energy Independence" to the maximum extent possible in our world. Keep going; all our efforts are changing this world, making it better and more sustainable.
Thank you all!

James - Sol-Ark pioneered the integrated 200A grid disconnect and transfer. That's what I am talking about, specifically. Tesla, Goodwe, Growatt... they don't have that. Sol-Ark was first.

The 19kW vs 21kW is only in max PV nameplate capacity. The simple fact is you can get to 19kW on a Sol-Ark in a more flexible and less expensive manner. If you added another 2kW... you get 18kW of DC output (yet to see it though). But AC output is way more important than DC output. The batteries will fill up regardless, at which point it comes back to how much you can output AC (15kW vs. 12kW) as well as if you are running the battery inverter at the top of spec (275A vs 250A) to get that 12kW.

This is what frustrates me about the Luxpower marketing. It is claiming that a cheaper inverter is also better, when in fact, it is easy to tell it is a smaller inverter than Sol-Ark right on the data sheet.

Go with "cheaper than Sol-Ark" if you want. Maybe "more value engineered". But Sol-Ark is the more powerful inverter of the two. And really, if you are going to tout the 18kWDCpv spec... actually show the inverter doing it. I have yet to see that it.

Back