diy solar

diy solar

who is still burning wood in april?

Snow for Northern MN as well later this week :rolleyes: What I can't get over is why in the USA triple pane windows are a niche product and in Europe you can get them at big box stores.
30 years ago we all went triple pane windows here, but even much earlier they were used with new houses. I have four pane windows.

Finally getting out of the overnight freeze temps, now if we could just get rid of this wind.
Smoked some timber on Saturday night though. Nothing quite like burnin wood

From what I've seen the step up to triple panes in the US results in a huge increase in costs. Just gotta do the calc see if the energy savings will ever get near paying for them.
Not worth swapping out good double panes for new triple panes. The big efficiency increase is get rid of double panes, even the best double panes are inferior to a casement type windowss be it US or the Euro style. Double hungs inherently have far more linear feet of gaps that need to be sealed and they have to use a sliding seal. A casement has less gaps and the seals can be compressive bulb seals. US windows can be bought with the same high performance glass as euro windows. If you insist on double hungs, there is lot to be said for good old storm windows outside with glass and screens.

The super high performance Euro windows do have slick hardware that allows them to open either as tilt in or rotate vertically in but IMHO along with many affordable energy efficient builders, they are overkill. They have "green" (AKA green snob) appeal but a high performance US window with triple panes is less costly and whole lot easier to order and receive. The US system of external mounting flanges goes in quick with less critical rough openings. Take a look at the installation details on Euro windows and they take far longer to install. Once the gap is pumped full of foam, no one will know the difference and the thermal profile will be the same.

I took a course from a Passive Home certified pro and even he had tough time recommending going to the extent that the Passive standard requires in my climate (northern NE). There just isnt that much available energy to heat a home in winter so they have to go to obsessive lengths to reduce heat loss and that costs a lot. Switching to zero net energy construction reduces the cost to build by supplementing with PV. The Pretty Good House movement seems to be good standard.

If you are not aware, there is group out of New England that has a series of You Tube videos called BS and Beer. Its mix of folks from technical to actual builders with many years' experience.

Last edited:
Not worth swapping out good double panes for new triple panes. The big efficiency increase is get rid of double panes, even the best double panes are inferior to a casement type windowss be it US or the Euro style. Double panes inherently have far more linear feet of gaps that need to be sealed and they have to use a sliding seal. A casement has less gaps and the seals can be compressive bulb seals. US windows can be bought with the same high performance glass as euro windows. If you insist on double panes, there is lot to be said for good old storm windows outside with glass and screens.

The super high performance Euro windows do have slick hardware that allows them to open either as tilt in or rotate vertically in but IMHO along with many affordable energy efficient builders, they are overkill. They have "green" (AKA green snob) appeal but a high performance US window with triple panes is less costly and whole lot easier to order and receive. The US system of external mounting flanges goes in quick with less critical rough openings. Take a look at the installation details on Euro windows and they take far longer to install. Once the gap is pumped full of foam, no one will know the difference and the thermal profile will be the same.

I took a course from a Passive Home certified pro and even he had tough time recommending going to the extent that the Passive standard requires in my climate (northern NE). There just isnt that much available energy to heat a home in winter so they have to go to obsessive lengths to reduce heat loss and that costs a lot. Switching to zero net energy construction reduces the cost to build by supplementing with PV. The Pretty Good House movement seems to be good standard.

If you are not aware, there is group out of New England that has a series of You Tube videos called BS and Beer. Its mix of folks from technical to actual builders with many years' experience.
I think you meant double hung not double pane.

I think you meant double hung not double pane.
this is something that confuses me. over hear they call it pair glass. its two sheets of glass in the frame with a rubber gasket between the aluminum frame and between the glass to stop heat transfer. what do they call this in the US and Europe?

this is something that confuses me. over hear they call it pair glass. its two sheets of glass in the frame with a rubber gasket between the aluminum frame and between the glass to stop heat transfer. what do they call this in the US and Europe?
Here it's called Double Pane with gasket between the panes. The gasket between the frame and the glass probably depends on the manufacturer.

Here it's called Double Pane with gasket between the panes. The gasket between the frame and the glass probably depends on the manufacturer.
OK then I using the correct terminology at least. yeah there is a big difference between Lixil and Toto here in price. the Toto ones are two panes that are somehow molded together with a slight vacuum between them. stupidly expensive,and replacement when broken is pretty painful from what i heard. i went with the Lixil which is the same design as what the US seems to use. (Toto also offers the cheap pair glass as well.)

It's a coating applied to the glass surface(s):

Ok not something I would want here then. winter, sun is low in the sky and thats extra heat in the house. in the summer when the sun is high in the sky, the 36"overhangs of the roof keep the suns heat from entering anyway. it is a old fashioned way of passively managing temps.

Mountainous areas …..near Appalachian region..most other areas are warmer now..
Well the 37" I was referring to was not in the mountain areas, 800ft elevation just north of Chattanooga, definitely in the valley.

Well the 37" I was referring to was not in the mountain areas, 800ft elevation just north of Chattanooga, definitely in the valley.
I totally get it…but…it Can happen that way for several reasons.. the wind lays down and the cold air slides down to the valleys from the peaks ,or a weather inversion can do it…but it’s in the mountains that weird weather occurs most often…
BTW .. being from myrtle ( Elev. 29 ft) at Deerfield Plantation, as a kid we thought anything much higher than the Waterboggin was the mtns…

I totally get it…but…it Can happen that way for several reasons.. the wind lays down and the cold air slides down to the valleys from the peaks ,or a weather inversion can do it…but it’s in the mountains that weird weather occurs most often…
BTW .. being from myrtle ( Elev. 29 ft) at Deerfield Plantation, as a kid we thought anything much higher than the Waterboggin was the mtns…
Yeah it was definitely a temperature inversion as it was colder at my place at 800ft than it was at the place in the mountains at 3,200ft....but not colder than Mt Mitchell :)

Yeah it was definitely a temperature inversion as it was colder at my place at 800ft than it was at the place in the mountains at 3,200ft....but not colder than Mt Mitchell :)
Inversion……I left beech mtn (5300 ft..once in the early spring of 95, to go to the coast for a large seafood pick up…it was about 45 degrees and moderate… in banner elk to Linville it had dropped to 32 degrees ..

by Marion it was ice on the trees , by Spartanburg they had closed the interstate about midnight due to heavy ice and snow on I-26… I slipped by the cops put on chains and by the time I made Columbia it was a total a wreck with no power and trees down everywhere…thick ice and a ft of snow…on the roads
it took me 12 hours to make a 5 hour run… it all stopped in orangeburg and was about 50 degrees by the time I arrived at the Shem Creek docks…

The next morn , sun was out …..hundreds of cars stuck abandoned, but warm and nice outside now..
…me and my trusty woreout Jeep never thought 5 seconds about not continuing our mission…all the restraunts and bars had their jumbo shrimp later that day..

Nature doesn’t watch the Weather channel to see what it’s supposed to do..🤣

Damn , it was fun being young…!

Inversion……I left beech mtn (5300 ft..once in the early spring of 95, to go to the coast for a large seafood pick up…it was about 45 degrees and moderate… in banner elk to Linville it had dropped to 32 degrees ..

by Marion it was ice on the trees , by Spartanburg they had closed the interstate about midnight due to heavy ice and snow on I-26… I slipped by the cops put on chains and by the time I made Columbia it was a total a wreck with no power and trees down everywhere…thick ice and a ft of snow…on the roads
it took me 12 hours to make a 5 hour run… it all stopped in orangeburg and was about 50 degrees by the time I arrived at the Shem Creek docks…

The next morn , sun was out …..hundreds of cars stuck abandoned, but warm and nice outside now..
…me and my trusty woreout Jeep never thought 5 seconds about not continuing our mission…all the restraunts and bars had their jumbo shrimp later that day..

Nature doesn’t watch the Weather channel to see what it’s supposed to do..🤣

Damn , it was fun being young…!
I remember that storm.

Reactions: JRH
Back