diy solar

diy solar

who is still burning wood in april?

34° again this morning in SE TN 800ft elevation, had fire going Sunday night and yesterday morning, just coasting last night.

34° again this morning in SE TN 800ft elevation, had fire going Sunday night and yesterday morning, just coasting last night.
I am at least staying about 40~45 at night now. fire the stove up with minimum wood for about 2 hours and let it go out for the rest of the night... thank god for new insulation and double pane windows.

I just joined up and this is my second post I found of interest tonight. Last year starting in March I was running the A/C almost non-stop. This year the heater has been very useful even in the last few days. I live where is is warm most of the time and humidity get way on up there. Right now it is cool but humidity is high making things sticky feeling. At the cabin, my pot belly stove has been working much later into spring than I remember in previous years.

The A/C has been turned on one day so far this spring but only circulated air. No compressor kicking in yet.

Another thing I found very odd is last summer. It started out just about normal with humidity pushing in the 80% range and temps climbing. Then that heat wave stalled over most of the country. What also stalled was the humidity. It dropped down into single digits many times and stayed very low for rest of the summer. That was a first for me. Almost no humidity and hot summer days. Not both together where I live.

I just joined up and this is my second post I found of interest tonight. Last year starting in March I was running the A/C almost non-stop. This year the heater has been very useful even in the last few days. I live where is is warm most of the time and humidity get way on up there. Right now it is cool but humidity is high making things sticky feeling. At the cabin, my pot belly stove has been working much later into spring than I remember in previous years.

The A/C has been turned on one day so far this spring but only circulated air. No compressor kicking in yet.

Another thing I found very odd is last summer. It started out just about normal with humidity pushing in the 80% range and temps climbing. Then that heat wave stalled over most of the country. What also stalled was the humidity. It dropped down into single digits many times and stayed very low for rest of the summer. That was a first for me. Almost no humidity and hot summer days. Not both together where I live.
welcome to the forum. the weather is about normal for my location, just had an extra cold snap that made me say what the heck?

now about this post, I am glad to say this weekend, i ran my split pack to warm the house along with one of my small fuel oil heaters. so temps are rising... now i gotta go out and split some wood... never ending i tell you.

Had to turn on the pellet stove again on Thursday morning. It went down to 28° here and the mini split couldn’t keep up.

Still running the Central Boiler (outdoor wood boiler). We had 3 consecutive nights around the full moon, 23F, 25F and 26F. Daytime highs in the 50s and low 60s F. We will have some nights below freezing until the first of June. I average about 25 full cords of dry hard wood per year (about 50 tons). I occasionally need a fire in the summer months if we get a few cold rainy days in a row. I remember a mid July morning that was 33F a few decades back. I live at the bottom of a cold valley in Vermont.

Still running the Central Boiler (outdoor wood boiler). We had 3 consecutive nights around the full moon, 23F, 25F and 26F. Daytime highs in the 50s and low 60s F. We will have some nights below freezing until the first of June. I average about 25 full cords of dry hard wood per year (about 50 tons). I occasionally need a fire in the summer months if we get a few cold rainy days in a row. I remember a mid July morning that was 33F a few decades back. I live at the bottom of a cold valley in Vermont.
50 tons! Wow that’s a lot of cutting and splitting!

50 tons! Wow that’s a lot of cutting and splitting!
The cutting is not bad. It is actually my favorite part. I have a variety of professional chainsaws and the skill to use them. My go to saw for bucking firewood is a Husqvarna 575XP. If that saw won't do the job I have a Husqvarna 3120XP, but that saw is not too much fun to handle at my age. I cut my wood 24" which helps reduce the number of cuts and keeps the wood a manageable length. I can buck a cord of wood in under an hour in good conditions.

I don't split wood too much. The old Central Boiler (a firebox surrounded by a 400 gallon water jacket) burns best with large pieces of wood. The firebox measures 48" deep by 3 feet wide by 3.5 feet high. I only split wood small enough so I can pick up 1 piece at a time. So my piece of firewood is probably 8 or 10 times bigger than the average piece of firewood. I have a good, fast wood splitter that can split a cord of wood in 20 minutes under ideal conditions.

The worst part is stacking all that wood and keeping it dry. It needs a roof over it to keep the rain and snow off and the sides open for good airflow.

The cutting is not bad. It is actually my favorite part. I have a variety of professional chainsaws and the skill to use them. My go to saw for bucking firewood is a Husqvarna 575XP. If that saw won't do the job I have a Husqvarna 3120XP, but that saw is not too much fun to handle at my age. I cut my wood 24" which helps reduce the number of cuts and keeps the wood a manageable length. I can buck a cord of wood in under an hour in good conditions.

I don't split wood too much. The old Central Boiler (a firebox surrounded by a 400 gallon water jacket) burns best with large pieces of wood. The firebox measures 48" deep by 3 feet wide by 3.5 feet high. I only split wood small enough so I can pick up 1 piece at a time. So my piece of firewood is probably 8 or 10 times bigger than the average piece of firewood. I have a good, fast wood splitter that can split a cord of wood in 20 minutes under ideal conditions.

The worst part is stacking all that wood and keeping it dry. It needs a roof over it to keep the rain and snow off and the sides open for good airflow.
ha ha ha i have two 372 XP's a 365 SP with a 372 P&C on it and two 346 XP (both NE) and a T540xp. I go through some wood myself, but as I am only there on weekends not nearly like you. this is how I scrounge... 3-4 tons at a time.

IMG_2129[1].JPG

Crane prob comes in handy for battery and generator shipments.
thats a long term lease unit I borrowed from my friends company on the weekends when they are not using it. works great for loading large logs... that biggest piece of oak there weighed in a 620 kilograms after sitting cut for 6 months.

I have a small forklift for batteries and other heavy stuff.

ha ha ha i have two 372 XP's a 365 SP with a 372 P&C on it and two 346 XP (both NE) and a T540xp. I go through some wood myself, but as I am only there on weekends not nearly like you. this is how I scrounge... 3-4 tons at a time.

View attachment 212344
NICE! This is my grocery getter.

Attachments

• 20230906_162144.jpg
    20230906_162144.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 12
Just switched to AC yesterday, but wood is still burning for hot water. Going to need wood for heat again next week, as we won't get above 60.

Back