diy solar

diy solar

Wholehouse peak shaving without A/C coupling, crit. panel, or moving mains?

SolarTime7

I successfully installed 3x Solar Edge grid-tied inverters on the property. Everything is great, but now I want to start peak shaving (charge batteries during peak solar and discharge in early evening). However, I am not in a position to A/C couple the existing inverters, put in a critical loads panel, or reroute the electrical service from POCO which currently goes directly to the 200A panel (i.e., I want the grid to continue to feed the main panel like it always has).

Question: Is it possible to buy a hybrid inverter (e.g., SolArk + generic 48v batteries), hook up no solar panels of any kind, connect the hybrid inverter to a circuit breaker in the main panel, and just tell it to charge the batteries during the day (9am to 4pm) and then discharge the batteries from 9pm to 9am? I don't care if the charging is done from the Solar Edge inverters or the grid.

I have read many threads, but usually people are A/C coupling and/or putting in a critical load panel and/or rerouting grid service off the main house panel to the hybrid inverter. Thanks for any ideas!

A hybrid inverter with no panels is essentially the same as an AC coupled energy storage inverter.

Yes, but i would wait for the new growatt to come out.

SPH10000TL- HU-US (10kw output) Is about $2,600
Eg4 18kpv (12kw output) is about $4,900
Sol-ark 8k is about $5,000
Sol-ark 15k (12kw output) is about $7,000

10kw is a 50 amp breaker.
12kw is a 65 amp breaker, although the 15k can reach 14+kW with an 80 amp breaker.

You can use CT's on the main panel to limit export to actual usage.

Last edited:
This can be done with victron ess. You keep everything the same and victron will charge your battery when it senses export

10398-ess-diagram1.jpg

Back