diy solar

diy solar

Wind storm in CA, disconnected from grid

Skypower

Solar Wizard
I manually disconnected from the grid to protect my system. A year or so ago when the wind blew hard I noticed voltage spikes, probably from lines slapping together. That time one inverter went into fault with no codes available, my assumption was it wasn’t happy about the weird supply. I was probably lucky last time and not temping fate. Currently 44mph sustained winds and 63mph gusts. Nice to have plenty of power, excuse me as I go start the dryer(bragging)😉All I got to do now is remember close the breaker again😂

That time one inverter went into fault with no codes available,
what inverter is that?

I set my utility 240v power "in" connection on a relay - 120 volt control connected to a smart plug I can control with my phone. - very handy, since these plugs also have timer settings you can set up so you don't forget to close the breaker again. ;)

what inverter is that?

I set my utility 240v power "in" connection on a relay - 120 volt control connected to a smart plug I can control with my phone. - very handy, since these plugs also have timer settings you can set up so you don't forget to close the breaker again. ;)

Earlier version MPP LV6548
It just had a red light bar on and nothing else. Disconnected everything and restarted and it’s been fine ever since.

what inverter is that?

Got a link to that?

The relay or the smart plug?
I bought the relay off of aliexpress - from Lighthouse USA (this is normally an AC Condensor Contactor HVAC relay, 40A three wire controlled with 120v two wire) My off peak charging is 30A so bought a 40 am relay (I can look up the seller if your interested it was $19.95 plus ship and they offer lots of options for how many poles and control side DC or AC various voltages).
the smart plug is from Home depot, called a Geeni smart plug - they come in a two pack, and I put these all over the place - to control exterior lights, electric fencing, coffee pot, small 120v HWT (dump load) and my charger relay.

Last edited:
The relay or the smart plug?
I bought the relay off of aliexpress - My off peak charging is 30A so bought a 40 am relay (I can look up the seller if your interested).
the smart plug is from Home depot, called a Geeni smart plug - they come in a two pack, and I put these all over the place - to control exterior lights, electric fencing, coffee pot, small 120v HWT (dump load) and my charger relay.
The relay please!

LOL we were both posting at the same time Lt. see edit above,
Lighthouse USA on Ebay - there are a lot of options for amperage, number of poles and the control relay 12/24 vDC and 120AC.
I think I will order another one, could be a good option for control of other 240v stuff.

edit: link to ebay seller: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/154443670247?hash=item23f58f62e7:g:WDYAAOSwxRFglTPX

I posted something earlier today about "Charge Now" along similar lines. I spent a lot of the day confusing myself. Just saying there are a lot of people with similar experiences just like there are a lot people in CA. It has been a big storm.

Back