diy solar

diy solar

Working on mounting options... 39" X 77" polycrystalline panels.

murphylawe

Mad Scientist
Hey Guys,

The work is progressing:

I have constructed a box and installed a 24v battery bank beneath the forward dinette seats in a (2s,4p) configuration of (8) 12v - 100ah AGM batteries. Yes, I know the issues with AGM's in series and will be switching wires when the batteries get out of balance.

IMG_0002.jpeg
IMG_0004.jpeg

The AMPINVT 3000w Inverter/Charger and AMPINVT 40amp MPPT Controller are installed in the basement bay across from the battery box with a total run of 7 feet of 1/0.

IMG_0005.jpeg

Anyway, now I am looking at mounting 8 solar panels on my roof. I have devised a mounting system based on 4"X6" aluminum mounting plates. They are spread out to avoid shadows cast by the A/C units and I can get all 8 on the roof.

However, I had a crazy idea yesterday. I was on the roof making measurements for ordering wire and remembered the stage roof on the trailer in the movie 'Doctor Sleep'.

I used to be a 6GR certified pipe-welder (Stick, MIG, TIG) and I envisioned an aluminum mounting platform that would have the panels an inch over the AC units. I could put 6 more panels on the rig and shade the entire roof with solar panels.

I spend the majority of my time in the desert southwest and I believe this would significantly cool the entire vehicle, making the AC units more efficient, and I can't imagine having more power would be a bad thing.

I am going to be on the roof anyway, the amount of work is the same. Maybe even less since I can have fewer mounting plates.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Trina 270-295.pdf
    600.8 KB · Views: 8
Looks good!

This will keep your AGMs balanced.

I use one per series pair but you can use as few as one for the whole bank since the batteries are matched.

As for the mounting... shading will be cooler. I think the main considerations are strength, weight, and wind. I'm sure you know that vibration can wreak havoc on aluminum welds. If they're mounted up off the roof a wind deflector may help to minimize noise and vibration while on the road.

Watch for low bridges and overpasses!

Last edited:
Back