diy solar

diy solar

18kpv Issues

I will have someone contact you for a RMA. I want to personally test your inverter when it comes in as well I can post the results here if you are ok with that. After you get a new replacement and this problems is still going on what would you suggest the problem is at that point?
I have know idea. I know I ran the same setup with 2 6548's and not once did the AC not start for 2 summers. When I first installed this inverter it shut down trying to start AC. Now after numerous firmware changes it will run AC.

I installed a new Micro Air today. The start amps are 32-33 amps now. But the light show I get everytime it starts is not good. So I'm not sure what is up but when I was on 1312 I use to get big blink on a hard start. Now I have 10-15 amp less hit and the lights flashing is terrible
Damn, that looks almost identical to mine. When you say "lights flashing" is that only during the start ramp or do they continue flashing following the start on the run cycle?

Damn, that looks almost identical to mine. When you say "lights flashing" is that only during the start ramp or do they continue flashing following the start on the run cycle?
Only flashes/blinks when AC is starting. Now that I have the AC start amps lower then they have ever been, I would have thought it would have been better. But I was on 1312 firmware before, and now I'm on 1616. Before, it was a blink/flash. Now, it is multiple blinks/flashes.

I did have 1919. That is what you removed and installed 1616. 1919 would start AC and then shut off after 5 sec. Then on 3rd try it said over voltage on the soft start.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240411_160130_EasyStart.jpg
    Screenshot_20240411_160130_EasyStart.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 6
Were you able to get this ironed out? Lots of 18kpv users on here that may benefit from a potential “fix” or might be happy to know if there was an “issue” found

So far yes. They have changed my firmware a few times. I also changed out soft start. This is my 3rd one. When I first had issues I went with a different brand that SS sells. It was no different so I went back to Micro Air so I can see the start amps. I just installed a new Micro Air. Not sure what was changed to change it. It runs AC no problem right now. But it's only 79 degrees here today. But seems like start amps are consistent and stay under 38 amps. Starts AC with 3000w load. When I get home I'm going to put 6000w on it and see how it does with AC

Were you able to get this ironed out? Lots of 18kpv users on here that may benefit from a potential “fix” or might be happy to know if there was an “issue” found
Here is what I just tested. Started AC with 6824 w already on. Went to 9884w with AC. Then I turned on a couple burners on oven and it went to 13.5kw. So all is good so far.

Inverter was great all winter. Just wasn't happy with my AC and now it seems happy all the time

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240430_154003_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240430_154003_Samsung Internet.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240430_154018_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240430_154018_Samsung Internet.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240430_154122_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240430_154122_Samsung Internet.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 8
Here is what I just tested. Started AC with 6824 w already on. Went to 9884w with AC. Then I turned on a couple burners on oven and it went to 13.5kw. So all is good so far.

Inverter was great all winter. Just wasn't happy with my AC and now it seems happy all the time
13.5kW is impressive for the 12k. How long will it handle that load without bypassing to grid? Are your loads well balanced between legs?

I don't have grid hooked up. It says 10 min at 14.7 kw and 5 min at 15.5 kw with solar. 13.5 kw with no solar.

I look at it as 12 kw. Playing the game of running more will end up shutting down your house. Nice to have a cushion. But I just would turn off any load over 12kw

Last edited:
Interesting on the micro-air. I would be curious to try without the micro-air at all. Thanks for the update.
Might try it tomorrow... I removed my micro-air to have it serviced last year. Ill try it on the 18k prior to installing back. the only difference is I'm running a 3 or 3.5 ton I forget.

Back