diy solar

diy solar

2 months lead acid battery - today noticed sulfation and just a bit swollen

Oks! I'll try that or the baking soda as well thanks for both recommendations.
If you go to an auto store or WallyMart or anywhere that sells batteries, you should find a little kit with a red and green felt pad and some electrical grease. Put those on after you clean everything up. Something like this, but with a tube of grease.

I’ve got two 6v golf cart sams club batteries in series running two 27w LED outside lights dusk to dawn 24/7 thru an older tracer MPPT on 1 100w renogy panel mounted 12’ up on a steel pole (AZ sunshine all day) that keeps them topped off by 2pm these batteries are going on 8 years old. Regularly maintained that still test on a hydrometer ?at 12.6v at rest. Float at 13.8, equalize twice a month. Check water once a week. Energizers they keep going and going and going.......
62930AA4-67E7-4019-BA5C-EFF6EC6C68CB.jpeg118AE86E-152D-42DC-A441-6E9D8FF1D288.jpegimage.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve got two 6v golf cart sams club batteries in series running two 27w LED outside lights dawn to dusk 24/7 thru an older tracer MPPT on 1 100w renogy panel mounted 12’ up on a steel pole (AZ sunshine all day) that keeps them topped off by 2pm these batteries are going on 8 years old. Regularly maintained that still test on a hydrometer ?at 12.6v at rest. Float at 13.8, equalize twice a month. Check water once a week. Energizers they keep going and going and going.......
View attachment 2096View attachment 2097View attachment 2098
8 years... well I hope mine last that much or more too xD.

Currently 4. They have the expected capacity. They complete absorption charging based on observed charge current. In all observable respects they appear to be functioning perfectly correctly, despite you saying that it is impossible.

So I assume you disagree with the formula (dod/100) x (ah/c) + 3 hrs absorb as your min charge time comes out well over 5 hrs @ 25% dod. Which is already just beyond the usable winter sun hours in continental US lattitudes.

It also happens to precisely align with every actual test Ive ever seen. Just over 5hrs minimum on the highest efficiency lead designs.

So then can you demonstrate the minimum time it takes to reach 100% from various states of discharge? Particularly for FLA.

Last edited:
I think I'll be content to just use my impossible battery performing in an impossible way with my solar array.

If by some chance my batteries pack it in, say in a year, and you spot me on this forum drowning my sorrows in a bottle, you can feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that you were right after all. Don't hold your breath. They've behaved precisely as I would expect so far ...

I think I'll be content to just use my impossible battery performing in an impossible way with my solar array.

If by some chance my batteries pack it in, say in a year, and you spot me on this forum drowning my sorrows in a bottle, you can feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that you were right after all. Don't hold your breath. They've behaved precisely as I would expect so far ...

Are you mad? You seem mad. Good to know theyre new. We shall see ;)

My own 120ah AGMs get a good work out daily running 24VDC around my yard etc. DoD would be approx 25% overnight. Batteries are pulled up to full charge daily by a 1kW array and overall capacity remaining is nicely on the curve I'd expect them to follow, and yes I have checked because I'm that sort of person.

Ahh to be young. Your first winter even?

Explains it all

Last edited:
Back