diy solar

diy solar

30kWh Envision Import & DIY

so from my brief research i dont think you need the deferment account if you pay all charges now.
you dont need the ctc-t1 transit
so you should be down to £75 plus port charges if any. (plus duty and VAT)
Thanks for looking! Yeah, I was originally going to set up a deferment account but it was a 30d+ process as I would have needed the wavier application and to send various financial docs for review. So I have a cash account and was hoping I would just load that up as needed. I also singed up for a service which charges £25 per declaration, but did find it as cheap as £15.

From what I read on the docs they send, they (of course) prefer you to use their deferment account since it means no hold ups. I'm not concerned about a few more days delay but presumably that will increase port/storage fees of some sort, and the cost of that is not disclosed.

I'm calling DHL and Gerlach tomorrow so will share what I find out and how it progresses so hopefully others can benefit.

@houseofancients @Culchee I hear and acknowledge what you are saying regarding the 2p16s, and had done some research earlier on it - there are several pro/con threads on here, and I decided to take a managed risk approach with it - I'm already quite safety conscious even with 3x16s packs, in terms of detectors and extinguishers, SOC and voltage cut offs, maximum loadings and C charge/discharge rates. I plan to make the new box lined with 12mm fire board and have 4mm board between each cell.

In the fire example you posted, I'm not sure that not having parallel connections would have prevented the problem he had, even he says "The BMS will stop power, but self discharge continues" - presumably a faulty cell could have caused this runaway even in a 1p16s configuration? Even so I acknowledge the increased risk of a faulty cell going undetected.

My first reason to choose this way was because I currently have constant issues with multiple BMS SOC and the inverter resulting in yo-yo charging at high and low SOC points - I think this is becoming a common issue as more people have multiple packs where the inverter receives multiple SOC readings from the stringed BMS. Redundancy is not an issue for me since I am grid connected and also have a 2nd 3kw inverter with its own solar string (no battery).

I'd really like to retain a single battery to inverter connection but wouldn't be adverse to running 16s2p internally, if there was a way to use two internal BMS fronted by the one master BMS (preferably the seplos I already have). Is that even possible while retaining use of the active balancer from the seplos? I don't think so.

Edit.. I re-found the doc I had read before which goes into a little depth on many issues with parallel strings, but parallel cells appeared to be less problematic: https://www.orionbms.com/manuals/pdf/parallel_strings.pdf

Last edited:
@houseofancients @Culchee I hear and acknowledge what you are saying regarding the 2p16s, and had done some research earlier on it - there are several pro/con threads on here, and I decided to take a managed risk approach with it - I'm already quite safety conscious even with 3x16s packs, in terms of detectors and extinguishers, SOC and voltage cut offs, maximum loadings and C charge/discharge rates. I plan to make the new box lined with 12mm fire board and have 4mm board between each cell.

In the fire example you posted, I'm not sure that not having parallel connections would have prevented the problem he had, even he says "The BMS will stop power, but self discharge continues" - presumably a faulty cell could have caused this runaway even in a 1p16s configuration? Even so I acknowledge the increased risk of a faulty cell going undetected.

My first reason to choose this way was because I currently have constant issues with multiple BMS SOC and the inverter resulting in yo-yo charging at high and low SOC points - I think this is becoming a common issue as more people have multiple packs where the inverter receives multiple SOC readings from the stringed BMS. Redundancy is not an issue for me since I am grid connected and also have a 2nd 3kw inverter with its own solar string (no battery).

I'd really like to retain a single battery to inverter connection but wouldn't be adverse to running 16s2p internally, if there was a way to use two internal BMS fronted by the one master BMS (preferably the seplos I already have). Is that even possible while retaining use of the active balancer from the seplos? I don't think so.

Edit.. I re-found the doc I had read before which goes into a little depth on many issues with parallel strings, but parallel cells appeared to be less problematic: https://www.orionbms.com/manuals/pdf/parallel_strings.pdf
Ive been thinking about these issues myself. 2p16s versus 16s2p

So, I've managed to completed the forms they sent and returned them. I did have the option of using an external declaration (£25) but chose to keep it simple and accept their £75 charge. I was able to use my EORI cash account reference instead of their chargeable deferment account. I'm expecting their fees to total no more than an additional £100. There were various other reference numbers and codes I had to find. If anyone is interested or stuck doing this let me know and I can share what I did or try to help.

I modified the title to suit!

Does anyone know if the envision cells can be used horizontally? I see no warning against it in the spec document.

And does anyone know the full height of the white vertical seplos mason cases. The Spec says 817mm but that indicates without wheels, however the black case which I imagine is similar internally is listed at 750mm, and 750>817 seems reasonable for the wheel height.

As you can tell I'm still undecided about the 2p layout.

Edit... I got the full dimensions from Seplos directly
1703940615307.png

Last edited:
I just received the vat/duty invoice and Gerlach/DHL invoice. Total on this ~2000 euro order was £444. Gerlach total was £76. £2320 in total for 32 cells door to door. If it wasn't for Christmas and new year I'd certainly have them by now! But as it is I expect they will arrive within a week.

I just received the vat/duty invoice and Gerlach/DHL invoice. Total on this ~2000 euro order was £444. Gerlach total was £76. £2320 in total for 32 cells door to door. If it wasn't for Christmas and new year I'd certainly have them by now! But as it is I expect they will arrive within a week.

Light at the end of the tunnel!

So £72.50 / $91.50 per cell delivered to UK, for B Grade, so pretty good, but I personally would have gone for A grade. Was it worth the hassle, and how long in total when they finally arrive?

Was duty 2%?

Light at the end of the tunnel!

So £72.50 / $91.50 per cell delivered to UK, for B Grade, so pretty good, but I personally would have gone for A grade. Was it worth the hassle, and how long in total when they finally arrive?
Well, A grade EVE 280 with the same lead time was £120/cell, or with longer lead time about £100. So up to £1500 is a considerable saving and more capacity. As to whether the A>B "downgrade" was worth it, only time will tell, and there is plenty written about that on the forum already...

I made the order on 8th December, they were due into stock on 16th Dec but were a few days late, and dispatched on 22nd Dec. And then we hit the holidays. If it wasn't for that delay I may have them now.

Well, A grade EVE 280 with the same lead time was £120/cell, or with longer lead time about £100. So up to £1500 is a considerable saving and more capacity. As to whether the A>B "downgrade" was worth it, only time will tell, and there is plenty written about that on the forum already...

I made the order on 8th December, they were due into stock on 16th Dec but were a few days late, and dispatched on 22nd Dec. And then we hit the holidays. If it wasn't for that delay I may have them now
30kw storage is a decent amount... won’t get hammered as hard as a pack half the size... so hopefully the grade Bs will prove to be a good choice... plus with all the stuff going on in the Red Sea... a bird in the hand etc...

Not so sounds harsh, but the last posts have nothing to do with the cells...
Rather how to do international in and export ;)
Fascinating, but rather off topic ;)
Does say “ 30kw Envision import and diy”....can’t wait for the diy bit.. have you tried the grade Bs..?

Does say “ 30kw Envision import and diy”....can’t wait for the diy bit.. have you tried the grade Bs..?
I've been running 16 of the grade Bs for a while now, 0 issues besides some idiot not top balancing properly because they were in a hurry to get things together... That was a long float to fix...

I'm kicking myself for not ordering the $75 cells when 18650 had them in stock, I have a feeling I won't regret it for long.

A's might be awesome but B's are better. ?
16 Envision AESC 305s from 18650 on the bottom with cell restraint built into the wooden rack and 32 EVE LF230s from Docan (there's a name you don't here much of anymore) on top.
1000000094.jpg

I've been running 16 of the grade Bs for a while now, 0 issues besides some idiot not top balancing properly because they were in a hurry to get things together... That was a long float to fix...

I'm kicking myself for not ordering the $75 cells when 18650 had them in stock, I have a feeling I won't regret it for long.

16 Envision AESC 305s from 18650 on the bottom with cell restraint built into the wooden rack and 32 EVE LF230s from Docan (there's a name you don't here much of anymore) on top.
View attachment 186756
Nice setup.. I like the ratchet straps.. keeps everything held tight.. but not too tight... and allows for expansion..

What do you think of these..

View attachment 186756
Eye spy Milwaukee... @Crowz would def approve..

Nice setup.. I like the ratchet straps.. keeps everything held tight.. but not too tight... and allows for expansion..
Thanks. I need to tidy them up, when I build my next packs with shelving 2.0 I'll run a strap around the top / bottom as well.
The only thing I don't like is the adhesive... If you would ever have to replace a cell you'd have to replace the insulator as well, whereas something without adhesive could be swapped.

I use flexible cutting boards that claim to be made in the USA I found on Amazon.
There's a lot of debate on insulating sheets and what is properly rated, my thoughts are if something is getting hot enough to melt the cutting board I've got much larger issues to deal with.

Thanks. I need to tidy them up, when I build my next packs with shelving 2.0 I'll run a strap around the top / bottom as well.

The only thing I don't like is the adhesive... If you would ever have to replace a cell you'd have to replace the insulator as well, whereas something without adhesive could be swapped.

I use flexible cutting boards that claim to be made in the USA I found on Amazon.
There's a lot of debate on insulating sheets and what is properly rated, my thoughts are if something is getting hot enough to melt the cutting board I've got much larger issues to deal with.
Yep... that would be messy with the adhesive... the cutting boards sound ideal...?

Back