diy solar

diy solar

50ah 12v LiFePO4 Batteries

bajajoaquin

I've mentioned in another thread that I'm helping a friend set up a Lance camper for a long term trip. For a number of reasons, we'd like to go with Lithium batteries. One of the things he'd like to do is run a microwave off of an inverter. The catch is that it seems like most 100ah batteries have a max continuous draw of 100a, which is marginal at best for a microwave. Are there any recommendations out there for a 50ah 12v battery with 60 amps or more max continuous draw? I found one the other day, but before I could post here for a question, I closed the tab and can't find it again.

Any reason I can't run them in parallel to get double the amp output?

I've mentioned in another thread that I'm helping a friend set up a Lance camper for a long term trip. For a number of reasons, we'd like to go with Lithium batteries. One of the things he'd like to do is run a microwave off of an inverter. The catch is that it seems like most 100ah batteries have a max continuous draw of 100a, which is marginal at best for a microwave. Are there any recommendations out there for a 50ah 12v battery with 60 amps or more max continuous draw? I found one the other day, but before I could post here for a question, I closed the tab and can't find it again.

Any reason I can't run them in parallel to get double the amp output?
Run them in parallel to get double the output.

How many amps does your microwave draw? Mine drew 135 amps at 12 volts and 65 amps at 24 volts. I would not want to run my microwave off anything less than a 200 ah pack at 12 volts or 100 ah pack at 24 volts. I actually had around 440 ah of lead acid batteries at 12 volts and currently have 560 ah of batteries at 24 volts.

So my 1100 watt or 1200 watt microwave drew 1700 watts from the inverter counting inverter 15% conversion factor and the loss for the actual energy the microwave used to cook at 1100 watts or 1200 watts.

This is my chart of DC amp draw from the battery for different items around my RV at 12 votls and 24 volts.:

1683997576210.png
============
I did have “Top Brand 3.2 volt 25 ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Cells” that were rated to discharge at 3C. If you want to google a vendor and look at spec sheets, then you will likely find the same rating. I would include the link to my vendor, but this was a clearance deal and not available from him. Those cells are pretty common though.

You Could get 2 sets of four with a BMS to handle the discharge and charge rates and assemble this yourself if you don’t mind assembling this yourself. I would guess discharging at 3C would shorten lifespan of the battery, but if you want the smallest ah pack for some reason, that is the only option I can think of.

I assembled those cells into two 8S pack, but my discharge rate is much lower. FOr the 50 ah pack I built, I only discharge at 12 to 13 amps, but by the spec sheet, they are capable of a 75 amp discharge.

This is the link to the build and there is a vendor list with links in it.

Back