diy solar

diy solar

Airstream Install

mdowell

Hello,

I've been lurking on the forum reading up and planning a solar install for my airstream with 50a input service. I've purchased 1000w of these 24v panels https://www.bougerv.com/products/topcon-16bb-100-watt-solar-panel and 8 eco-worthy 12v 100ah batteries. I plan to mount the panel in series of 2 on tilt mounts to minimize shading issues. Ideally I would have no panels in series but when I ran this panel through the victron mppt controller it said I would need minimum 2 in series.

I've been searching for a 24v split phase inverter charger or AIO with 5-6k inverter but striking out aside from an AIMS unit which is over priced and sungoldpower. Are the any products I should consider?

I went down a rabbit hole researching microinverters and power optimizers. This is a random question but if all your panels are in parrallel, is there any difference from using a power optimizer or just a small dc boost converter? The idea being to set up all the panels in parallel, then have a dc boost converter boost all the panels to the same voltage to charge my 24v battery.

Why not just a Victron inverter and their mppts?
I saw victron has a 24v 2x120v inverter but it's rated at 3000w. 2 Victron 24v inverters might be a fine option, it just gets a bit expensive. All the higher rated split phase inverters seem to be 48v which I would do except I'm concerned about panel shading with an airstream not having a flat roof.

2 inverters makes the most sense as you get 120v and 240v both in and out.
I'd suggest making a v with the panels over the roof then you just have a left and right side and shading as much as an issue

Any thoughts on why the victron mppt calculator thinks a 24v panel isn't high enough voltage? Why must there be 2 or more in series?

Any thoughts on why the victron mppt calculator thinks a 24v panel isn't high enough voltage? Why must there be 2 or more in series?
Because the voltage of the panels, you need around 6v above the charging voltage of the batteries so like 35v.

That panel has open voltage of 35. 7v and max power voltage 31.1v. So 1 panel will be 24-30v and 2 50-60v

Back