diy solar

diy solar

Amazon Sucks Big-Time!

Interesting thread. I have been recently buying stuff through Amazon.com & amazon.ca and everything has been delivered on time (if not sooner) and I have even gotten small refunds after delivery (which really surprised the hell out of me tbh). Granted that most were from Amazon Prime vendors or items stocked in Amazon but not all. I am presently tracking an expensive item (LifePO 24v/400AH pack) coming from Honk Kong purchased through Amazon.ca and it's moving along at quite a pace (considering it has free shipping) it should arrive next week it seems.

Now that we are well into November, the XMAS Sales & flood of orders will inevitably slow everything all down. I don't know if it really makes a difference but I try to get things from vendors who have stock in the fulfillment centres first, they seem to ship out faster in any case and I never had one come back and say "out of stock or back ordered" from them.

Amazon is a monopoly just like Google. They need to be broken up.

mo·nop·o·ly (/məˈnäpəlē/) the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.
Neither is a monopoly as both have competitors and neither have exclusive possession of anything other than a few TV series (e.g., The Mandorlorian on YouTube) and those are considered more of different brands of toothpaste rather than exclusive control over toothpaste. What these giants actually do is to provide products (some very hard to get locally) at very competitive costs and opportunities for small businesses to sell items that otherwise wouldn't be able to compete with brick & mortar stores. Unlike a "Walmart", these companies also foster innovated new technologies.

They're not perfect, but I'd hate to see them broken up.

Neither is a monopoly as both have competitors and neither have exclusive possession of anything other than a few TV series (e.g., The Mandorlorian on YouTube) and those are considered more of different brands of toothpaste rather than exclusive control over toothpaste. What these giants actually do is to provide products (some very hard to get locally) at very competitive costs and opportunities for small businesses to sell items that otherwise wouldn't be able to compete with brick & mortar stores. Unlike a "Walmart", these companies also foster innovated new technologies.

Fortunately, our anti-trust laws are not based on that definition. It is based on them being able to do things others can't do because of their pricing power -- such as making it very painful and privacy invading to compare the true cost with shipping on thousands of products. You can trigger anti-trust scrutiny if you have over 50% of a market. You can still be part of an oligopoly if you have under 50% market share.

Amazon’s share of the US e-commerce market is now 49%, or 5% of all retail spend

It's not hard to find unfriendly Amazon headlines on Bloomberg ... e.g., Amazon Has ‘Destroyed’ U.S. Retail Industry (ref) so hard to imagine that cozy a relationship. They also don't look to bad to me compared to many sources (ref):

Capture.PNG

It's not hard to find unfriendly Amazon headlines on Bloomberg ... e.g., Amazon Has ‘Destroyed’ U.S. Retail Industry (ref) so hard to imagine that cozy a relationship. They also don't look to bad to me compared to many sources (ref):

I'm a full-time trader in US equities markets. There is no popular financial source I know of that is more biased than Bloomberg. However, they are really insanely biased on certain select topics. Michael Bloomberg owns over 80%, and he loathes Trump. Just for kicks and jiggles, I like to check their spin every day. It's hilarious how blatantly biased they are.

Among the super rich, of which Michael Bloomberg is one (as of November 2019, his net worth was estimated at $58 billion), they are cronies and use the press to try to keep Americans naive while they game the system. So, yeah, Bloomberg likely has Bezo's back.

We live in a rural area with few options for purchases other than Wallyworld.
Most everything is much higher priced
including fuel, auto parts, electronics, clothing, etc. I purchase 99% of my auto parts thru Amazon because of lower cost and it’s delivered to my house. Even clothes, tools, solar items, household maintenance items, hardware and most every thing we need has been easily ordered and the prime membership means we never pay anything for shipping almost always 2day. Any problems have been resolved quickly and satisfactorily.
Sometimes the return is not required and replacement items are sent quickly. In 12 years we have never had any problems. Buying has save us hundreds in fuel and hassles to drive into the city 60 miles away. The prime membership pays for itself it shipping alone. We also enjoy the netflix like video streaming as part of that deal. IMP Walmart is a bigger invasion into your privacy than most. Your followed by cameras from the parking lot throughout your shopping trip and back to your car. So are big box stores everyone patronizes every day.
Not everyone has good experiences as consumers, Amazon shopping included.
For our needs it works well.✌️

@MrNatural22
Do you worry at all that Amazon is putting your local choices out of business, and that one day, Amazon prices won't be so ideal and you won't have too many options to turn to? I personally miss Radio Shack and Sears.

If the prices rise that much it opens up opportunity for local stores to form and undercut.

Not being contrarian but local stores can suck. Local hardware store refused to return any of my items with reciept for a homeade tilt mount project costing me $50 in stuff I have no use for. Said "just store policy." Guess whos not getting my business again...

Last edited:
If the prices rise that much it opens up opportunity for local stores to open and undercut.
A friend of mine has been trying to build a home brewing supply store. I can tell you it isn't that simple, particularly for brick-and-mortar. They need to sign leases and commit for a period of time to recoup up-front costs of opening. They'd need assurance they can remain competitive for years. Selling online isn't easier. The small ones don't have the pricing advantage in shipping to negotiate competitive contracts.

You are describing natural price theory in a truly competitive environment. The larger ones can dump and trigger consolidation periodically to clean out those tiny competitors.

The difference is they havent raised prices. I said after they do stores can and will come back.

What youre saying is why Im a strong supporter that private property should be outlawed and is the most disgusting policies there could be. It makes it very difficult to prosper just paying for the cost of living let alone opening a small business on top if it.

I'd say that is the only good explanation on why they are the only eCommerce site I know of that requires you to give them a credit card before they will estimate shipping.

I just tried to retest this to verify it hasn't changed in an incognito window (so I was "anonymous"). It would not even allow me to add to cart without giving a valid phone number. So, I could not even get far enough to verify if I could get a shipping estimate without entering a credit card number.

EDIT: With same browser, I tried to add another item. It let me. But, when I tried to view my cart, wanted me to log in or create an account, which required an email or mobile number. I didn't get passed the email verification, so I changed it to a valid email address I could receive email to:

View attachment 2066 View attachment 2067
It then wanted my full valid address for shipping. Not just a zip code to estimate. OK, so I gave it Investigator Joe's address. And... we're back to it demanding a phone number. Still no shipping estimate, even though it has far more the info it needs to provide it.

I gave it Investigator Joe's phone number, which didn't have to be a verifiable mobile number this time. And finally, got a shipping estimate so I can compare the true cost of this item to the thousands more just like it:

View attachment 2068

Congratulations, you no longer need to give them your credit card number to get a shipping estimate. You do have to give them a valid email or mobile number which you have to receive their code at, your full address, and your phone number if you gave them an email the first time.
Everything I ordered had free shipping, but this is good for people to know.

We live in a rural area with few options for purchases other than Wallyworld.
Most everything is much higher priced
including fuel, auto parts, electronics, clothing, etc. I purchase 99% of my auto parts thru Amazon because of lower cost and it’s delivered to my house. Even clothes, tools, solar items, household maintenance items, hardware and most every thing we need has been easily ordered and the prime membership means we never pay anything for shipping almost always 2day. Any problems have been resolved quickly and satisfactorily.
Sometimes the return is not required and replacement items are sent quickly. In 12 years we have never had any problems. Buying has save us hundreds in fuel and hassles to drive into the city 60 miles away. The prime membership pays for itself it shipping alone. We also enjoy the netflix like video streaming as part of that deal. IMP Walmart is a bigger invasion into your privacy than most. Your followed by cameras from the parking lot throughout your shopping trip and back to your car. So are big box stores everyone patronizes every day.
Not everyone has good experiences as consumers, Amazon shopping included.
For our needs it works well.✌
I wish they treated me like that. I still haven't heard back from them with multiple calls. I usually buy locally. Home Depot/Lowes, and then there's Ebay or other private sellers online. I am being forced to do the latter because of Amazon's ineptitude.

@MrNatural22
Do you worry at all that Amazon is putting your local choices out of business, and that one day, Amazon prices won't be so ideal and you won't have too many options to turn to? I personally miss Radio Shack and Sears.

@erik.calco Walmart has been the culprit on that and the small town closest to us has inflated prices on most everything beyond what other area cities charge. Gas is .40 per gal higher, fast food chain stores charge higher prices than nationally advertised, the other big name grocery store has higher prices than their other
Stores. The local big name hardware store is the only one with competitive prices but we buy our lumber from the local mom and pop lumber yard even though they are only a small bit higher but give that old fashioned friendly service disappearing these days, to support their local business.
This county is one of the very few that charge sales tax on groceries?
We are basicly right near the county line so I avoid buying groceries locally unless they are minor needed items.
We food shop in the city to our west with no sales tax on food when we are their for other business.
The big city to the west of us is expanding rapidly to many’s dismay but it’s inevitable as we become an easy commute for growing giants.

I’m not concerned about Amazon or EBay putting the local scalpers out of business, they are doing that all by themselves. ✌
BTW I do miss radio shack. Loved that place since childhood.

Last edited:
We will be soon in Commiefornia. Actually, I think they tax home solar now?

So now controlling natural resources and selling it back to people is both communist and capitalist. Can we make up our minds?

@MrNatural22
^^I just saw another store closed (Bed bath beyond), Rite Aid closed before that, other business before that near me. Sears and Radio Shack-yes, I miss them too.

Back