diy solar

diy solar

Array with three Sunnyboy inverters:

andrew71

My father built a solar array himself a few years ago that, due to illness, has as yet not been approved by the local utility for grid tie-in. The system includes three SMA Sunnyboy inverters: two 7.0 and one 7.7. The utility has conditionally approved it but is requiring some reduction in power output to avoid possible voltage rise over the wire connecting to the grid. They offered us three options. The option that makes the most sense to us seems to be this one:
---
Lowering proposed inverters nameplate capacity to 19.26 kW AC Output AND All inverters within system operate at a constant 95% lagging/absorbing power factor (PF). Inverter also to maintain Q or Reactive power priority setting (as applicable).
---
We have a guy who has helped us but is not always available...and I am just trying to get this finally done. I have connected up my laptop to each inverter and have the passwords, so I can get in and change operating parameters.

The guy helping us recommended lowering the inverter output to 6400 watts to get below a total of 19.26 kW. So I think I have done that - set the Currently set active power limit" to 6400 watts in each inverter...but what do I need to do/set to achieve the final two the meet the requirements? E.g. 95% lagging PF and maintain Q power priority? The utility has been almost no help at all. We tried contacting SMA support too but they have been slow to respond and it's been frustrating trying to deal with them also.

Any idea which operating parameter(s) I would need to change to meet these requirements?

Thank you!

I think the Sunnyboy has a Powerfactor of 1 (100%), which is better than 95%.

This might help regarding Reactive Power Priority. See if there is a CA Rule 21 setting.
I think you have the SB7.0-1SP-US-40 and the SB7.7-1SP-US-40.

Last edited:
Back