diy solar

diy solar

Connect 2 wire 220v to panel for 110v circuits in a camper!

When you say "With a neutral reading 113v, and the hot reading 117v " How are you reading that? Are you reading from ground to neutral and ground to Hot?

The hot to ground is reading 115v on average
And the neutral to ground is reading 115v on average. That’s why I’ve been so confused.
Could I use them both as hots into panel and no neutral going Into panel? Or bond the ground and neutral?
It’s weird it’s labeled GLN when the neutral is showing voltage.

OK..... Now I am confused. It looks like you have an inverter for the European market. They don't have split phase 220 like we do. They have straight 220. Do you have 120V appliances or 220V appliances in the RV.

OK..... Now I am confused. It looks like you have an inverter for the European market. They don't have split phase 220 like we do. They have straight 220. Do you have 120V appliances or 220V appliances in the RV.

the tv, phones charging, and laptop are a range of 100-240v. The mini fridge says 115v and I can’t find the range of it anywhere online. Really I plan to have the following

MacBook laptop charging, charging cell phone, and tv running (currently hooked up to a power strip from the inverter and charging / running fine). I believe because there range is 100-240v

mini fridge (says 115v)
Water pump (not purchased yet)
Small water heater to run shower and sink hot water. (not purchased yet)
Electric space heater (not purchased yet) but could always just use a propane heater, so not super important.

I do have this small step down transformer.
Was debating if just getting 220v for heater, water heater, mini fridge and water pump. Or seeing if I can step everything down somehow.

so if there’s a way to run it all into a panel or if it’s better to just run direct from the inverter,

Attachments

• 1CD824B1-D6D8-46E3-883F-C914BDCA634F.jpeg
    1CD824B1-D6D8-46E3-883F-C914BDCA634F.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 6
One good thing is that it says 50 or 60 Hz. Presumably you will be able to set it for 60 hz. However, the only way to use 120V only appliances with this inverter will be to use a step-down transformer. Note: A lot of electronics can handle either 120 or 220, but anything with a heater or motor is probably not that flexible.

the tv, phones charging, and laptop are a range of 100-240v. The mini fridge says 115v and I can’t find the range of it anywhere online. Really I plan to have the following

MacBook laptop charging, charging cell phone, and tv running (currently hooked up to a power strip from the inverter and charging / running fine). I believe because there range is 100-240v

mini fridge (says 115v)
Water pump (not purchased yet)
Small water heater to run shower and sink hot water. (not purchased yet)
Electric space heater (not purchased yet) but could always just use a propane heater, so not super important.

I do have this small step down transformer.
Was debating if just getting 220v for heater, water heater, mini fridge and water pump. Or seeing if I can step everything down somehow.

so if there’s a way to run it all into a panel or if it’s better to just run direct from the inverter,
OK.... If you are going to be using that inverter, you want to buy appliances that can run 220 natively.
The mini fridge is almost certainly not capable of running on 220V. You would need a stepdown transformer for it. (Make sure it is big enough to handle the fridge).
The water heater and space heater should be 220V.
I am not sure what water pump is for, but you may want to consider making that 12Volt.
Since you are driving around in the US, you should keep a step-down transformer handy so you can power things that need 120v that you did not plan on.

Alternatively: Can you return that inverter and go with 120V?

I read that 220v 3 wire carries its own neutral? Not sure if it’s true or not?

OK.... If you are going to be using that inverter, you want to buy appliances that can run 220 natively.
The mini fridge is almost certainly not capable of running on 220V. You would need a stepdown transformer for it. (Make sure it is big enough to handle the fridge).
The water heater and space heater should be 220V.
I am not sure what water pump is for, but you may want to consider making that 12Volt.
Since you are driving around in the US, you should keep a step-down transformer handy so you can power things that need 120v that you did not plan on.

Alternatively: Can you return that inverter and go with 120V?

I could return the inverter, let me email them and see! I also have a 24v 3kva inverter but that’s also 230v, but could use it while getting a 120v inverter and returning the 48v one.

would the step down transformer in this picture be fine to handle the mini fridge? It says it’s rated for 2,000w. If so how to I connect these?
And with it being 230v, do I connect the electrical panel the way you did the diagram?
Confusing stuff! ???

Attachments

• C9F8DC57-8AA2-404C-A8AA-0C353DBC8990.jpeg
    C9F8DC57-8AA2-404C-A8AA-0C353DBC8990.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 3
ckuld I connect it like this? Where both hots are on separate breaker bars, and the ground is used as a neutral/ ground bond?

Attachments

• EBD5113C-F63C-4CB4-B763-A19D735238A7.png
    EBD5113C-F63C-4CB4-B763-A19D735238A7.png
    196.5 KB · Views: 4
I could return the inverter, let me email them and see! I also have a 24v 3kva inverter but that’s also 230v, but could use it while getting a 120v inverter and returning the 48v one.

would the step down transformer in this picture be fine to handle the mini fridge? It says it’s rated for 2,000w. If so how to I connect these?
And with it being 230v, do I connect the electrical panel the way you did the diagram?
Confusing stuff! ???
What is the amp and/or watt rating of the refrigerator?

The transformer you show does not really have taps for 230V, if we used the 208V taps it would generate 127 volts on the output. I would be concerned the fridge would not handle that for the long term. (It would probably work for a while and then burn out).

What is the amp and/or watt rating of the refrigerator?

The transformer you show does not really have taps for 230V, if we used the 208V taps it would generate 127 volts on the output. I would be concerned the fridge would not handle that for the long term. (It would probably work for a while and then burn out).

The mini fridge is 115v 1.1amps.

Hmmm what to do...

ckuld I connect it like this? Where both hots are on separate breaker bars, and the ground is used as a neutral/ ground bond?
It is extremely unlikely that would work. The reason you are seeing 115 volts is that the AC circuit is 'floating'. The moment you tried to power something you would see the voltage drop to near zero.

The mini fridge is 115v 1.1amps.

Hmmm what to do...
You need a step-down that would handle ~40 watts or more.

You really only have 2 choices:
1) Get a different inverter
2) Use step-down transformers for anything that must have 120.

There is another problem: What sockets would you use for the power. Putting a 120V US wall socket in and running it at 220 is begging for a disaster. Putting in one of the Euro style 220V sockets would be a major PITA.

Back