diy solar

diy solar

Cracked glass panels Repair?

tomy2

escape artist
Just obtained four new Canadian Solar 430 watt bi-facial panels with several hairline cracks on the back side, the fronts are in mint condition. I have read some older posts that mention using clear epoxy to seal the cracks. Does anyone have successful experience with this method or another and what particular products work best? I understand that there is a certain amount of risk in using such panels, so save the safety lectures. My roommate has had a 200watt cracked on top panel, on the ground, in the weather, outside his bedroom for 3 years, without a problem. Not a recommended use, but a telling experience.

Just obtained four new Canadian Solar 430 watt bi-facial panels with several hairline cracks on the back side, the fronts are in mint condition. I have read some older posts that mention using clear epoxy to seal the cracks. Does anyone have successful experience with this method or another and what particular products work best? I understand that there is a certain amount of risk in using such panels, so save the safety lectures. My roommate has had a 200watt cracked on top panel, on the ground, in the weather, outside his bedroom for 3 years, without a problem. Not a recommended use, but a telling experience.
I cracked backside on one of my 700W bifacials while drilling some grounding holes to the frames. Used urethane clear to fill all the cracks and next day wrapped it with clear plastic sheet. Also used clear acrylic glue/filler to the edges (plastic sheet contacting frame) to prevent moisture if plastic sheet shrinks due to time/UV. I decided to use plastic sheet as I noticed there was some new cracks after first night, so maybe there will be other ones after the panel is out in the field with massive temperature changes and wind load. Seems to work fine, but my setup is only 5 months old now.

There are some pictures of this in my thread. I think it's page 3 or 4. Link in my signature.

I cracked backside on one of my 700W bifacials while drilling some grounding holes to the frames. Used urethane clear to fill all the cracks and next day wrapped it with clear plastic sheet. Also used clear acrylic glue/filler to the edges (plastic sheet contacting frame) to prevent moisture if plastic sheet shrinks due to time/UV. I decided to use plastic sheet as I noticed there was some new cracks after first night, so maybe there will be other ones after the panel is out in the field with massive temperature changes and wind load. Seems to work fine, but my setup is only 5 months old now.

There are some pictures of this in my thread. I think it's page 3 or 4. Link in my signature.
those pics are amazing, does the sun ever get overhead there? do you use a mini-split for heating?

those pics are amazing, does the sun ever get overhead there? do you use a mini-split for heating?
Not overhead, it just goes around up here, as it barely sets in summer. In my "solar corner" (old horse stable) I use mini-split for heating in winter and now even cooling as my solar gear heats the place up in summer. In my house I use mini-splits for cooling only. I have geothermal heating which is more efficient in winter.

Not overhead, it just goes around up here, as it barely sets in summer. In my "solar corner" (old horse stable) I use mini-split for heating in winter and now even cooling as my solar gear heats the place up in summer. In my house I use mini-splits for cooling only. I have geothermal heating which is more efficient in winter.
What brand mini-splits do you use?

I haven’t tried this but what about those car windshield repair kits? Do you think that might work for solar panels?

I've never done it, but I've thought about using a smear of Lexel gel on cracked panels. That Stuff is so good at sealing from water and holds up to the sun great. It never gets hard and stays crystal clear.

Back