diy solar

diy solar

Cracked Panel Glass Repair

Jake123

After weeks of research I can’t find a solid solution to seal my cracked solar panels, majority say to use polyurethane products but most of them are not made for sticking to glass and I’m worried about adhesion problems, and most polyurethane products that are exterior grade are oil based and only for wood.. the best I have found that will work as far as what they claim on paper is UV resistant epoxy resin but many say it’s not good, is that because everyone just follows what everyone else says which is polyurethane products or is UV resistant epoxy resin the way to go and just not many people tried it or know with experience?
I also looked into the vinyl wrap but my panels have glass shards missing so I wanted something that will flow into the cracks to fill those gaps.

I need an opinion from someone who tried something that lasted a few years without severe yellowing or wattage loss from discoloration etc.

I don’t want to pay an arm and a leg because there are some sealants that will work perfectly but for how much it cost I’m better off buying used solar panels that are not cracked..

After weeks of research I can’t find a solid solution to seal my cracked solar panels, majority say to use polyurethane products but most of them are not made for sticking to glass and I’m worried about adhesion problems, and most polyurethane products that are exterior grade are oil based and only for wood.. the best I have found that will work as far as what they claim on paper is UV resistant epoxy resin but many say it’s not good, is that because everyone just follows what everyone else says which is polyurethane products or is UV resistant epoxy resin the way to go and just not many people tried it or know with experience?
I also looked into the vinyl wrap but my panels have glass shards missing so I wanted something that will flow into the cracks to fill those gaps.

I need an opinion from someone who tried something that lasted a few years without severe yellowing or wattage loss from discoloration etc.

I don’t want to pay an arm and a leg because there are some sealants that will work perfectly but for how much it cost I’m better off buying used solar panels that are not cracked..

Far cheaper to throw it away and get used panel from SanTan to replace what you have that is damaged

I have a Thread about my attempts in this over in the Solar Panel sub-Forum.

It’s not helpful
I’m looking for results that will work

Hi Jake ,

I have successfully repaired cracked solar panels, 8x 250w residential panels , huge cracks and impact sites (look like a hammer or BIG hail stones) . My dad got them off the man at the recycling centre for a sleeve of cigarettes

I used liquid Polyurethane resin , get one that is clear and UV stabilised. Clean the panel well, brush on Polyurethane liberally, let it dry . DONE. It's easy

Now there are of course downsides to repairing panels , it doesn't always work, and you will lose efficiency. But in my case it worked out great and the panels lasted years and years and

Hi Jake ,

I have successfully repaired cracked solar panels, 8x 250w residential panels , huge cracks and impact sites (look like a hammer or BIG hail stones) . My dad got them off the man at the recycling centre for a sleeve of cigarettes

I used liquid Polyurethane resin , get one that is clear and UV stabilised. Clean the panel well, brush on Polyurethane liberally, let it dry . DONE. It's easy

Now there are of course downsides to repairing panels , it doesn't always work, and you will lose efficiency. But in my case it worked out great and the panels lasted years and years andAwesome
Hi Jake ,

Now there are of course downsides to repairing panels , it doesn't always work, and you will lose efficiency. But in my case it worked out great and the panels lasted years and years and
Awesome, approximately how much OZ did you use per panel?

Awesome, approximately how much OZ did you use per panel?

Honestly I haven't a clue , it goes a long way you only need a thin layer.

Sadly prices have gone up a LOT since I last did this, and solar panels prices have gone DOWN massively (£0.25/w in the UK) it's almost cheaper to buy brand new panels than pay for the resin to repair them !

Last edited:
Many woodworking supply stores such as Rockler and Woodcraft sell epoxy resin liquids that pour clear and thin. But again expensive. Surf shops also sell these resins as well as fiberglass shops. But I think all a waste of time and money.

I have a couple that are cracked and after researching have decided to leave them. They are pole mounted and properly fused so not too worried if anything happens. If I get a couple of years out of them I will be happy with the price paid. New and improved will be out by then and give me a reason to change them.

Honestly I haven't a clue , it goes a long way you only need a thin layer.

Sadly prices have gone up a LOT since I last did this, and solar panels prices have gone DOWN massively (£0.25/KW in the UK) it's almost cheaper to buy brand new panels than pay for the resin to repair them !
Fairly sure panels aren't 25pence per kW in the UK :)

Many woodworking supply stores such as Rockler and Woodcraft sell epoxy resin liquids that pour clear and thin. But again expensive. Surf shops also sell these resins as well as fiberglass shops. But I think all a waste of time and money.
Do you mean polyurethane casting resin (for fiber glass) or epoxy resin (different stuff) because from what I know epoxy resin is more ridged and won’t flex with movement and will split and separate fast?

Do you mean polyurethane casting resin (for fiber glass) or epoxy resin (different stuff) because from what I know epoxy resin is more ridged and won’t flex with movement and will split and separate fast?
I think you have it backward. Epoxy is generally more flexible than polyester (not polyurethane). I don't think it is important which you use as long as it is optically clear and UV stable. I would probably try clear gel coat, which is polyester based, clear, and UV stable. You can get flow agents to help it lay down.

I think you have it backward. Epoxy is generally more flexible than polyester (not polyurethane). I don't think it is important which you use as long as it is optically clear and UV stable. I would probably try clear gel coat, which is polyester based, clear, and UV stable. You can get flow agents to help it lay down.
Yeah, and I’ll look into the gel coat!

If you are intent on doing this, go to craigslist in San Diego. There are tons of cracked glass solar panels for sale dirt cheap. Nobody wants them because you can't repair them cheap enough and keep out rain water. The materials and effort aren't worth it.

As for gel coat, you will need a pressure pot and specialized tip sprayer and hoses. and the coating will be much thicker than glass. And it will be a total experiment. Don't you think that many others have experiments with trying to repair cracked glass on panels with spray coatings? it is not economically feasible or doable.

As for gel coat, you will need a pressure pot and specialized tip sprayer and hoses. and the coating will be much thicker than glass.
A gravity feed gun with a large orifice will work fine, but I was thinking that just brushing it on should work fine. It will need a flow agent even if it is sprayed, so maybe even thinning it a bit and pouring it on might work.

I agree on the experiment part. I'm not convinced that the exterior surface needs to be glass smooth.

I tried just regular polyurethane on a cracked panel I have but it blistered loose after the 1st summer so I peeled it all off & been running it like it is this past year & it's working like normal. I inspect it every so often looking for burnt traces but it seems ok for the time being. I guess that kinda luck depends on the build quality but I'm keeping an eye out for another panel to replace it eventually.

I tried just regular polyurethane on a cracked panel I have but it blistered loose after the 1st summer so I peeled it all off & been running it like it is this past year & it's working like normal. I inspect it every so often looking for burnt traces but it seems ok for the time being. I guess that kinda luck depends on the build quality but I'm keeping an eye out for another panel to replace it eventually.
I’m guessing what might have happened is the poly got inside the cracks and that is what’s protecting the electrical parts and the rest of the poly coat that was on top of the glass just peeled off, I’m thinking using some kind of sealer and poor it that’s thinned out and mainly get the inside of the cracks sealed, I just want to get a year atleast

Back