diy solar

diy solar

DGJBD Bluetooth BMS - a short review

I'd highly recommend using a gimball. This movement is pretty annoying. Also, adjust sound in post, its hard to understand.

As for the 'fix': You've wired the sensor to the supporting pins of the plug, which basicly don't do anything else than supporting the connector.
The actual pins are the 2 on the back of the connector

If you're in doubt of the sensor: It's just a regular 10kohm NTC

View attachment 41203
Excellent advice, thank you. Thanks for the critique on the video and the soldering info too. You can't get better without out someone pointing out mistakes, faults and ways to improve. It's appreciated!
I added this warning to the details of the video! Haha...

"Edit & Update: Caution, this video may make you sea-sick! Lol... This was a casual video shot with my phone. New camera and gimbal are in the works. I had people asking for info in it, so I'll keep it up. People, wiser than I, have commented my solder points were incorrect. As I still have the bms, I'll de-solder, correct and update. "

Last edited:
Just to answer my own questions in case anyone is curious...

Has anyone tried using the hardware on/off switch on this BMS. I see that the Overkill Solar version has an actual 2 pin header soldered next to the Bluetooth and balance headers. And their documentation mentions adding such a switch. My BMS doesn’t have the header but it has 2 spots on the PCB that are labeled on/off or something like that.
This works. After removing the aluminum plates, I soldered a 2 pin header to the board, hooked up a switch and enabled the “Switch” functionality in the BMS via Bluetooth. It seems some resellers have a version of this BMS where they chose to save $0.03 and leave the switch header off (like mine), but the rest of the hardware and software support the functionality.
Also curious if anyone has tried disassembling their BMS. I need to pull the aluminum plate off to get access to the on/off pins so I can solder a header on there. Just wondering if the thermal paste between the FET’s and the aluminum plate releases easily and how much fiddling it will take to touch up the paste and get it back together.
This was no big deal (thanks to SoundinSpirit for some reassuring advice). I was worried that the “paste” might have hardened making it difficult to remove, but it’s actually not paste but some sort of foam tape. Makes me question its efficacy as a thermal conductor, but whatever. The tape did peel partially off the plate when one section stuck to the FET, but it was easy to reposition and put it all back together.

One quirk is that with the hardware switch “off” it appears that the load side is off but the charging side is still active, whereas using the software switch via the app you can turn off both charge and load sides. I think the charge side can be activated via toggle in the app, but I don’t think that has effect on the hardware switch behavior.

-uberpixel

Is there a recent link to the JBD BMS on Alibaba? The link at the start of the thread takes me to a 60a Scooter BMS and I'm looking for a JBD 150A unit (2x) TIA

Is there a recent link to the JBD BMS on Alibaba? The link at the start of the thread takes me to a 60a Scooter BMS and I'm looking for a JBD 150A unit (2x) TIA

I ordered mine from this place and it was about 3-4 weeks to receive them in the US. The 120A version comes with three wires on each side.

The link that I posted still works. Follow the link and on the landing page you will see a block on the right hand side and in the block under ‘Gold supplier’ click on the company name. This will take you to the suppliers website. Now at the top of the page select ‘Products‘ then ’BMS’ on the dropdown menu. If you are still uncertain you can contact the supplier as well fro that page. They are very good at replying to enquiries.

I ordered mine from this place and it was about 3-4 weeks to receive them in the US. The 120A version comes with three wires on each side.

Hi I use these guys - generally arrives within 10 days to Australia. They currently have 150amp models as well. Best is to go to the site and open a chat - I find the format horrible on my iPad. Can’t find anything

Thanks Dodger - I use them as well. Keep well down under.

The link that I posted still works. Follow the link and on the landing page you will see a block on the right hand side and in the block under ‘Gold supplier’ click on the company name. This will take you to the suppliers website. Now at the top of the page select ‘Products‘ then ’BMS’ on the dropdown menu. If you are still uncertain you can contact the supplier as well fro that page. They are very good at replying to enquiries.
I did that but didn't find a 150A unit listed. Largest I found as 120A.

I found 150A here but 5 pc min order https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...rlist.normal_offer.d_title.1d784728fTo3hU&s=p

Received 2x 150A BMS units with the BT boards & balance wires. They don't say JBD on them anywhere and have the screw terminals on them

PXL_20210614_190209661.jpg

My last batch also did not have the JBD markings on it. They are supplying so many resellers at the moment and I think that is the reason for not branding it. The screw terminals are a nice touch but layout a bit weird. My boards (24v 8s) came with two NTC sensors on fly leads. You can just live with it or have them replaced.

The temp sensor plug is glued into the socket with a bit of silicone. Each amperage version of the BMS's has a different terminal layout it seems. The 100 & 120's have connections on either side rather than sides and end

My first experience with a BMS, batteries are on a slow boat somewhere (these air freighted). From the diagrams it looks like the BMS is connected low side and the sense wires are between the cells with black on the lowest neg and red on the highest pos

Has anyone used a normal FTDI programmer to connect the PC interface? I have at least a dozen of them laying around and don't want to buy another one specific for this device if not needed

Hi @pierre , thanks for the review. I am thinking of buying a JBD 100A BMS. It seems to me that the bluetooth module and the UART-USB interface are using the same 4-pin port so they can not be used at the same time. Is it the case?

Hi @pierre , thanks for the review. I am thinking of buying a JBD 100A BMS. It seems to me that the bluetooth module and the UART-USB interface are using the same 4-pin port so they can not be used at the same time. Is it the case?
That is correct. You can order one directly from JBD with an extra serial port.

Thanks for the reply. I will check with the seller for the extra serial port option.
I can't think of a reason to have both the BT and the USB active at the same time. What is your plan?

I plugged in the serial / USB interface just so I could use my laptop to set / calibrate the sense voltages on each cell. Once that was done I put the shelf to use on the other JBD BMS's I have and more that I will be receiving. Only need one of them, but I want each BMS to have a BT.

Back