diy solar

diy solar

Do we know the real world lifespan of Plug'n'Play LFP batteries?

Skid

Solar Enthusiast
Now that Battleborn popularized prebuilt LFP batteries 6 or so years ago, has anyone actually run their LFP into the ground, well, down to 80%, in normal use? I know theoretically we see projected lifespan of 2000 to 6000 cycles but curious what is actually happening in the real world.

I do not think anybody is hardcore hammering on prebuilts daily. maybe for a week or two when glamping, but not daily hardcorp 90~10~90 cycles.

Most of the off-grid folks were not willing to sink that much coin into that small of capacity so they all went the DIY pack route, those you can find tons of data on. In Australia some folks are approaching 20 years with Winston cells with less than 10% degradation in capacity, matter of fact most are reporting under 5% but those are the plastic or nylon cased Winstons, Sinopoly's and Calb's with only Winston still producing them.

the newer aluminum prismatic cells are all at maybe 9 years of use, about 7 or so of popular use, so the Jury is still out.

It really boils down to how good the cells the prebuilt use's if they are buying the same cells that 50% of the members of this forum bought expect them to be swollen, degraded and worthless in 2-3 years of any use. if they used actual mass produced/bulk purchased EV level cells then I would guess the same as the winstons and the other plastic format cells.

My oldest factory built liFePO4 (not Battleborn but the cheapest one I could find) is a few months shy of 2 years old. It has been used every day though the amount of draw has decreased as my total battery bank has increased. It started out at 80-90% usage each day but now is only ~20% unless there is a few days of bad weather. So far it has held up.

So real world lifespan of 2 years seems in reach. I will let you know if I have a failure in the next few years.

Back