diy solar

diy solar

Does Anyone Have a Compact Printer?

You're welcome. I wonder what dialect of Spanish they speak in Vietnam? :p

Can you explain how an ink printer would use less electricity than a laserjet
There are 2 power hogs in a laser vs inkjet printer:
  1. Fuser wire circuit, used to fuse the toner to the paper.
  2. Image drum static circuit that charges the drum to attract the various toner colors.

I've had no problems with this one. $30 shipped, with normal sized ink cartridges. Also the wireless printing works great. No cords except power.

View attachment 2620
I have/ used this unit for a 3 years now, great features and printing, only down fall is that the ink heads dry out (maybe they all do), plus it takes for ever when first starting up. Buying ink ($$) can be heart stopper. Aftermarket ink is cheaper and works well. Power consumption is very minimal.

Last edited:
I have one of these in a small upper cabinet of the motorhome. Canon LBP6030w Wireless Laser Printer It works great! I use it so infrequently I don't need to worry about the power requirments. Plus the toner always works. I have had less than impressive results with ink jets that are used infrequently in the past so I stay away from them now. At the time I bought it, (May 6, 2017) it was the smallest least expensive laserjet I could find. I was pretty surprised they still sell them. Funny thing is I am still on the initial cartrage. I bought an extra but its been in the box for 2.5 years now in the basement of the coach. -Bill

PS. Sorry, I missed the part about all in one... this is not one of those. Mea Culpa. I almost deleted this after rereading that but there was already a like so I just edited with this part.

I have one of these in a small upper cabinet of the motorhome. Canon LBP6030w Wireless Laser Printer It works great! I use it so infrequently I don't need to worry about the power requirments. Plus the toner always works. I have had less than impressive results with ink jets that are used infrequently in the past so I stay away from them now. At the time I bought it, (May 6, 2017) it was the smallest least expensive laserjet I could find. I was pretty surprised they still sell them. Funny thing is I am still on the initial cartrage. I bought an extra but its been in the box for 2.5 years now in the basement of the coach. -Bill

Santa: 320 watts, but like you said you rarely use it. Looks nice. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have/ used this unit for a 3 years now, great features and printing, only down fall is that the ink heads dry out (maybe they all do), plus it takes for ever when first starting up. Buying ink ($$) can be heart stopper. Aftermarket ink is cheaper and works well. Power consumption is very minimal.

What happens when they dry out?

Once I was able to us solvent to get it sort of working again. But buying new cartrages is easier and much less messy. Hence the reason I stay away from inkjets. If I need a color copy I head for a kinkos.. Significantly cheaper than those ink cartrages.

Once I was able to us solvent to get it sort of working again. But buying new cartrages is easier and much less messy. Hence the reason I stay away from inkjets. If I need a color copy I head for a kinkos.. Significantly cheaper than those ink cartrages.

For you maybe. The nearest Kinkos is 90 miles from me. Maybe I'd better use it once in a while.

Can you explain how an ink printer would use less electricity than a laserjet, as well as how that cost per page changes when you factor in the cost of ink vs toner? How you like buying that ink every month that costs just slightly less than a new printer? I bought an HP Laserjt P1006 and it is very economical for toner usage. And the toner is cheap on Amazon. Ink is just too expensive. I have found lasers a far better value. But the disclaimer is that I have ZERO need or desire to ever print in color.

I asked someone why they have an ink printer. She said "We print a lot of family photos." My reply was "We live in a city of 200,000. There is a Walgreens or a CVS on every corner. Prints are like 12 cents on their kiosk. Everything you print in color at home is costing you over 50 cents because you are also paying for print stock That Kodak photo paper is not cheap." She now goes to CVS and uses the kiosk.

But for utility printing, do you really need color? I also don't know what you print. I print the NY Times crossword puzzle every day and pages from a manual from time to time when I have to take them to a gig for a keyboard tweak I don't do often enough to remember or outside to work on something. My last toner cartridge lasted me 14 months. I bought a pack of 2 for 28 bucks on Amazon. That 28 bucks will last me over 2 years.
After attending my first O.E.A., (Office Equipment Anonymous), meeting, I stood up, introduced myself to the other members in the room, then took a deep breath and couragesly admitted that I did not know jack. Ty Ed, for setting me straight on ink printers vs toner lasers.

Back