diy solar

diy solar

Does the Victron 450/200 Use All Inputs?

CoolWill

Solar Addict
I just started up a system with a Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/200 SCC. I noticed today that, depending on which order I turn the arrays on, one of the MPPT inputs will produce 0 watts. Electrically everything is good. The unit even sees the array voltage but isn't outputting. If I shut the unit down and restart, all four inputs will ramp up, but after a bit one will drop to 0 watts. I can change which array drops out by controlling the order I turn them on.

Input 1: 3480 watts, 320 VOC
Input 2-4: 1740 watts, 320 VOC

Is this a normal behavior?

There are 4 MPPT trackers in the 450/200.

What you describe is normal behavior IF the battery is in the absorption phase. You should be able to force all MPPT trackers to produce power by running loads sufficient to do so.
Thanks. I didn't find that in the manual. I just figured that all the trackers would contribute some to output. It makes me feel better know it is supposed to work that way.

Thanks. I didn't find that in the manual. I just figured that all the trackers would contribute some to output. It makes me feel better know it is supposed to work that way.

They only contribute if needed. Power has to have somewhere to go. If the battery is full, and the loads don't need it, the MPPT can only produce what is needed.

I'm a little torn on the claim that it's normal. I know that individual MPPT (non-RS units) connected via VE.Can or VE.Smart will coordinate and typically share the load in a roughly equal fashion, i.e., all chargers are in the same mode providing about the same current. I just don't know that this feature is carried through to the internal individual MPPT. IIRC, it's an external feature enabled by the connections themselves, so it might not do it internally.

Regardless, I'd like to see you test that all MPPT are providing power when there is sufficient demand. Around high noon-run everything you got and confirm that all or most of the trackers are providing power.

They only contribute if needed. Power has to have somewhere to go. If the battery is full, and the loads don't need it, the MPPT can only produce what is needed.

I'm a little torn on the claim that it's normal. I know that individual MPPT (non-RS units) connected via VE.Can or VE.Smart will coordinate and typically share the load in a roughly equal fashion, i.e., all chargers are in the same mode providing about the same current. I just don't know that this feature is carried through to the internal individual MPPT. IIRC, it's an external feature enabled by the connections themselves, so it might not do it internally.

Regardless, I'd like to see you test that all MPPT are providing power when there is sufficient demand. Around high noon-run everything you got and confirm that all or most of the trackers are providing power.
I don't have the ability to apply a load yet. The inverters haven't arrived and I don't have any 48 volt equipment. I did plug in another battery that has been sitting longer and turned on the equalize setting and all four MPPTs did supply some power, about 5400 watts total out of 8700 rated available.

I don't have the ability to apply a load yet. The inverters haven't arrived and I don't have any 48 volt equipment. I did plug in another battery that has been sitting longer and turned on the equalize setting and all four MPPTs did supply some power, about 5400 watts total out of 8700 rated available.

Gotcha.

Back