diy solar

diy solar

Victron SMARTSOLAR MPPT RS 450/200-TR 48V voltage per string

Robbert

Solar Enthusiast
I would like to add one or more victron SCC to my system.
Sick of getting error 55 on one of my MPP-Solar AIOs.
They idea is to keep the MPP Solar inverters as is, but disconnect the PV power and have that managed via an additional SCC.
Looking at different options from Victron and came across SMARTSOLAR MPPT RS 450/200-TR 48V
It seems that this SCC can handle up to 450 volts PV.

The SCC has 4 inputs for PV (that would be ideal for me, since I have 4 different strings (all a bit under 200 volts per string).
I am wondering if this SCC is 450 volts per string/input or if that is the total voltage that it can handle.
In that case need to buy 2 of these controllers but than the 100 amp version.

The SCC has 4 inputs for PV (that would be ideal for me, since I have 4 different strings (all a bit under 200 volts per string).
If you describe your panels (Voc and Isc) and configuration, it would be easy to identify quite a few controller(s) that fit your needs.

450V is the max temp adjusted Voc before the magic smoke is released.

If you describe your panels (Voc and Isc) and configuration, it would be easy to identify quite a few controller(s) that fit your needs.

450V is the max temp adjusted Voc before the magic smoke is released.
Thnx. i entered my information in the Victron MPPT Calculator. The SMARTSOLAR MPPT RS 450/100-TR 48V is the one I need.
Ordered 2 of them.
Once arrived (will take approx 6 weeks because of shipping from the Netherlands), I will disconnect the currently installed MPP Solar All in Ones from the PV. These MPP Solar inverter/chargers will from that moment only be used as inverter and backup-grid.

A MPTT RS 450/200 would most likely work for you just the same as 2x MPPT RS 450/100. You did not give us enough information to know for sure but as long as each string is under 450v temp compensates and no more than 8x float voltage you are fine. If your strings are in the 200v range you are fine. I don't think you will benefit from 2x 450/100 vs 1x 450/200.

Victron's calculators don't seem to have the 450/200 for some reason. Maybe you want to reconsider your purchase?

A MPTT RS 450/200 would most likely work for you just the same as 2x MPPT RS 450/100. You did not give us enough information to know for sure but as long as each string is under 450v temp compensates and no more than 8x float voltage you are fine. If your strings are in the 200v range you are fine. I don't think you will benefit from 2x 450/100 vs 1x 450/200.

Victron's calculators don't seem to have the 450/200 for some reason. Maybe you want to reconsider your purchase?
I want to have 2 for redundancy. Since I live on an Island where everything takes months to arrive a bit redundancy is important. The ones I ordered will arrive in a month or so. Hopefully both of them will last for a long time, but if one fails, I always can keep using the other one until a replacement will arrive.
If I had lived in a 'normal' place I indeed would have ordered the 450/200.

They do have it! I was just playing around with it today. You have to add more "trackers" to have it switch to the 450/200. If you do just 2 trackers, it will show just the 450/100. I had to put 3 trackers in to make the 200 version show up

Back