diy solar

diy solar

Victron MPPT RS 100A error 200

sunshine_eggo

Happy Breffast!
Looks like Victron has issues with their 450V 100A MPPTs:

If you have one, it looks like the issue got sorted after SN HQ2237.

EDIT: Updated info:

"We have decided to extend the warranty of said units to 10 years and make all affected units eligible for a free of charge replacement - even if not failed yet."

Attachments

• 2023-07 - MPPT RS 450-100 reliability issue HQ2216-HQ2236 - rev 1.pdf
    200 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I saw that #200 error pop up in their forum a while ago. Their initial response seemed to be just to replace unit for anyone that gets the error but appears now they realize every single one with have that error so are now trying to prevent any in that serial number range from being sold at all now.

That Multiple II issue is sad.. one of the main issues with some of the cheap Chinese systems such as MPP or Growatt is the loud fans and can't put it near living quarters. @Adam De Lay do you have your Multiplus II system operational yet? Is there a lot of noise from them?

Last edited:
That is Multiple II issue is sad.. one of the main issues with some of the cheap Chinese systems such as MPP or Growatt is the load fans and can't put it near living quarters. @Adam De Lay do you have your Multiplus II system operational yet? Is there a lot of noise from them?
I've had mine up and running for almost a week now. Unfortunately "loud" or "a lot of noise" seems relative to the individual. In my particular case, these things are a whisper compared to the jet-engines on the 6500s. I plan on doing a video on the sound level once the install videos are all wrapped up.

From what I've seen though, there's only a single fan inside each unit and that fan only kicks on when the unit gets warm. In my case maybe 2600W+. There is the hum of the transformer, which does get a little louder when your load is larger, but still I wouldn't call it "super loud". I have a dehumidifier in the same room as the inverters and the dehumidifier is louder than the inverters even when running a large load and fans are on. I think there are times where my desktop computer is louder than these inverters.

I guess I should be fully transparent. There is one thing with these inverters thats loud.

The relay that switches on/off the AC In connection. If you're not ready for it, you'll need another change of shorts (hopefully your fingers aren't inside an electrical panel when it happens).

Since the inverter case is pretty empty, the sound just reverberates inside and makes it a whole lot louder than you expect when the relay opens or closes. It's had me jumping out of my skin on more than one occasion.

I notice a click with the Quattro 5kVA when switching from grid to battery or vice-versa but nothing that startles me unless I am just used to it.. wonder how it compares to the Multiplus one you hear. The diameter of the fans on the Quattro are also a lot bigger so they would be quieter because of that as well.

Just installed 2 of these this week.
Fingers crossed, since it would be a nightmare to swap the units because of shipping times here. It took 2 months to get them.

I have the units with the faulty numbers, 2216 and 2224.

They are running fine now. Ill see how it develops and hopefully they will keep running.

The reason why i bought them in the first place, is because i kept getting an error in the mpp-solar AIO and i did not trust these units anymore. Figured that Victron is the most reliable option.

They are running fine now. Ill see how it develops and hopefully they will keep running.

The reason why i bought them in the first place, is because i kept getting an error in the mpp-solar AIO and i did not trust these units anymore. Figured that Victron is the most reliable option.

Good luck! Might not be a bad idea to mention to your distributor the Victron Community thread and the fact that you have units in that serial range. Just to keep them in the loop.

+1

Edited the OP to link to a more detailed article.
Tnx. I emailed Victron in NL.
Shipping the units to NL with DHL and getting them back will set me back for more than 1000 usd. Hopefully I can do it for half the price or less via a distributor on Curaçao.
This really sucks since i wanted these units because I wanted something that's reliable and keeps working while I am away. Instead of buying something reliable, I bought something that's even wore than what I replaced.

I had a 450/100 unit experience the error 200. I sent it back and the replacement lasted a few days and ended up with the same error. I had to switch to 2 X 250/60's because it was weeks without a functional solar system and I did not know when the 450/100 problem would actually be fixed. But those 250/60's get super hot. Even though they work I don't like it. I wish I had waited a few months on my install. I have EG4 batteries and would probably go with the EG4 18KPV if I had to do it over again. The price of the 450/100 and 2 X Quattro 5K units is about the same as the EG4 18KPV. This is my second system using Victron and they are solid but the hybrid 18KPV in one unit as well as a cleaner looking software interface looks appealing.

All bad signs. I bought these because I wanted reliable units since I used MPP-solar AIOs and thought I bought 'the Bentley' among SCCs.

Contacted Victron direct, for the swap. They pushed back and adviced me to wait until they would brake. Not acceptable in my situation, since transport will take months and I want to decide when to swap.

Dealer is cooperative, but apparently has no clue what the process for the swap is. They do act and luckily keep me in cc.

Kinda regret that I bought these units.

Back