diy solar

diy solar

Easton, PA DIY Solar Project!

wazd

Hello everyone.

I have no formal experience of solar installations. I did all the electrical wiring at home, so I feel very comfortable learning, reading, asking questions, and applying what I learn. I am in the process of adding solar power to our home and decided to do it as part of a family project starting this year.

I wanted to run the following set up that I am planning on getting for our home in Easton PA, and I am hoping for your valuable feedback and expertise on this subject matter.

As of April 22, 2024, this is the usage we have:
Average daily use (KWH) last year 64, this year 51
Last 12 months use (KWH) 16,592
Average monthly use (KWH) 1,383

I am told it is recommended to have a 12 KW solar array for a 100% usage offset. I will be using a battery bank of Battle Born batteries, 12V, 100Ah. I am planning to start with 4 batteries in series and eventually bring it up to 16 batteries total.

I will start deploying (4) 200-watt solar panels connected in series with the goal of deploying additional (24) 400+ watts solar panels. I purchase the first 4 Solar panels as follows:

(4) JJN Bifacial 200 watt, 12v, 10bb monocrystalline solar panels.

The remaining solar panels will be 400+ watts, yet to be determined which would be better for this project. I am researching the possibility of getting panels from international vendors which appear to offer a substantial difference in pricing as compared to local purchases. Not sure is a good idea but have heard of folks going this route to stretch those hard-earned dollars.

Looking to add the following equipment to the setup:

(1) Victron MPPT RS 450V DC 100 amp 48-Volt Tr Solar charger controller.
(1) Victron Quattro 5000VA 48-Volt inverter.
(1) Victron energy lynx distributor
(1) Victron energy GX touch 50 display screen for Cerbo GX
(1) Victron energy Cerbo GX for system monitoring and control

Plus, some additional features yet to be determined to protect the system, such as emergency shutoff, surge protectors, AC load center, and any other suggestions you might have for me, etc.

I am not sure how all this will be wired to the current electrical panel (already checking some videos on this), to make sure that solar is used first and that the grid is used as secondary. It seems to all depend on the type of inverter I use.

All solar power related equipment will be housed in a back shed which I will be conditioning to make sure that cold nights are not an issue. The shed is 25-30Ft away from the main home where the main electrical box is located. I run electrical Sch. 40 PVC conduits and added two cable runs of type NM-B (rated 600-Volt) 12/2 Romex wiring with ground. I think I made a mistake here since I believe I would need higher-grade wiring to connect the solar to the main electrical box.

In all, I am looking to set a system that will allow me to grow it, should I need to do so in the future. I am not dropping the grid but keeping it as a backup to the solar solution.

I am new to this forum and started going through some of the discussions already posted.

Your feedback is welcome.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum PA neighbor.

I would strongly advise against 12V batteries in series.
I would strongly advise against battleborn prices with today's offerings.

I would recommend checking out Current Connected if you are considering Victron, they sell some nice SOK batteries as well.

Check out Inxeption Solar, order a pallet of 370W+.

My usage is a little less than yours.
I have ~11kWh of panels ~39kWh of DIY batteries... You will never make it through winter with your current plans.

My usage is attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408-130247.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408-130247.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to the forum PA neighbor.

I would strongly advise against 12V batteries in series.
I would strongly advise against battleborn prices with today's offerings.

I would recommend checking out Current Connected if you are considering Victron, they sell some nice SOK batteries as well.

Check out Inxeption Solar, order a pallet of 370W+.

My usage is a little less than yours.
I have ~11kWh of panels ~39kWh of DIY batteries... You will never make it through winter with your current plans.

My usage is attached.
This is very helpful and I thank you for your reply. I will certainly check on your suggestions there right away. Is Victron a good name in the solar arena? I figure I pick a well known and supported name for this purpose. At the end of this project, I am calculating a total of 28-30 solar panels. Trying to determine which are the best suitable names in the 400-500 Watts range for this project. May I ask which battery model are you currently using as storage?

Thanks!

Batteries in series opens up potential balance issues. You also have four separate BMS instead of a single larger battery and a single BMS.

Battleborn is over rated and as Mr. 420Ohms said is way overpriced. Many better options are available including building your own pack from raw cells.

As for panels I can refer you to a supplier not that far from you in Cinnaminson NJ who carries a good selection, is price competitive and you can pick them up yourself saving the shipping fees.

Batteries in series opens up potential balance issues. You also have four separate BMS instead of a single larger battery and a single BMS.

Battleborn is over rated and as Mr. 420Ohms said is way overpriced. Many better options are available including building your own pack from raw cells.
Holy moley. I hadn't looked at the actual prices on Battleborn batteries, but at almost 4x the price of some of the "decent" Chinese brands per amp hour, I can't imagine buying those. I am sure some people want the guaranteed quality and service/warranty, but that's too rich for my blood.

I'd rather just buy a new Chinese battery if I get a dud and spend the thousands of dollars elsewhere.

Not knocking people who do buy Battleborn, but I suspect there's a reason they are not the first choice of battery for most of the forum users here. 😬

This is very helpful and I thank you for your reply. I will certainly check on your suggestions there right away. Is Victron a good name in the solar arena?
Yes, up towards the top. I wouldn't hesitate to rely completely on a Victron system.
One thing to note, if your planning on inspections / approvals Vicron may not be the best option.
I figure I pick a well known and supported name for this purpose. At the end of this project, I am calculating a total of 28-30 solar panels. Trying to determine which are the best suitable names in the 400-500 Watts range for this project. May I ask which battery model are you currently using as storage?
I'm currently using DIY batteries, 16 cells in series for each pack, 3 packs in parallel. (you can save a pile of money if you're not worried about inspections and DIY your packs)
I'd say Q-Cells are some of the best panels.
I'm running used Q Cells and new NE Solar, the NE came from Inxeption ~$2200 delivered for a pallet of 31 370W.
You're welcome. 🍻
Thank you and 42OhmsPA for the feedback on this. Can you expand on why the 12V is not a good solution for my own learning?

Best,
@Drunkin Solar has that covered in his reply.

As for panels I can refer you to a supplier not that far from you in Cinnaminson NJ who carries a good selection, is price competitive and you can pick them up yourself saving the shipping fees.
I am certainly interested. Can you forward information on it?

Mr. 420Ohms indicated he would strongly advise against 12V batteries in series. What would be the ideal setup?

Best,

Mr. 42OhmsPA has found you a deal I think my supplier can't beat on those Q-Cells. Correction: meant the NE Solar I'm sorry. I will also send you info for supplier so you have options

Batteries would depend on your needs and skill level and your wallet. As already mentioned Current Connected has great options another is Trophy battery for the ready made solutions.
I just made the dive into DIY batteries for myself. Am waiting for the delivery of my boxes from across the pond in about a month.

Last edited:
Just for clarity the used Q Cells came from CLR Solutions in Randolph NJ, I drove and picked them up; the NE Solar came from Inxeption.

Update.. (moving slowly)

I am about to purchase additional 500+ Watt solar panels, and have these choices:
  • AXITEC AXIbipremium XXL HC MW 550W 144 Halfcell High Performance Bifacial Solar Mod. Manufacturer: AXITEC, 15 years limited warranty
  • SEG Yukon Series 550w Module SEG-550-BMA-TB monocrystalline, 144 cell
  • HT-SAAE: 545 W, 144 half-cut cell monocrystalline module, transparent backsheet bifacial, 1500V max system Vdc, 35 mm frame., cable Length (+)400mm (-)200mm/length
I am using larger panels since my space is limited and will be able to fit 18 of those plus the 4 200Watt I already owned.

Do you have any feedback on any of these panels?

Best and appreciated.

Back