diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 18k issues. Unable to run for over month of attempts

6000xp dongle doesn't have a direct IP interface (not one that I can access)

18Kpv dongle does support a "intranet" (local).

Odd it would be different. How do you set it up for wifi? This is one place where these engineering fools should just put a phreaking $4 realtek chip and ethernet jack in these boxes. This is so ridiculous IMNSHO. If you made the jack 48v POE (Oh my) you could connect a dedicated access point of some description solving all the damn problems with this insanity. A minimal BSD/Linux with lighttpd and a dumb web interface. This is just silly needless confusion and problems.

Odd it would be different. How do you set it up for wifi? This is one place where these engineering fools should just put a phreaking $4 realtek chip and ethernet jack in these boxes. This is so ridiculous IMNSHO. If you made the jack 48v POE (Oh my) you could connect a dedicated access point of some description solving all the damn problems with this insanity. A minimal BSD/Linux with lighttpd and a dumb web interface. This is just silly needless confusion and problems.
I'm referring to the dongles internal IP modification page. Where you can reprogram the dongle.

When you connect to the 18Kpv dongle's local IP address you get this page.
Screenshot_20231210_224826_Edge.jpg

When I try connecting to the 6000xp dongle's local IP...I get nothing. Note the dongles are physically different and 6000xp dongle has Bluetooth, while the 18Kpv dongle does not.

Assuming it's the same as the 18K with the eg4 monitor app you have to connect to the Wifi AP for the dongle (serial number), then run the configuration tools. Not hyper intuitive, but not overly difficult.
Eh, I don't know if it's the same, but I'm not able to find a working interface for the config tools. I have connected directly to the AP (provides a 10.10.10.x/24) with a 10.0.10.1 gateway. Tried to connect t o 10.0.10.1, no luck. tried https:// no luck. Completed a port scan and found 8000, and 9023. Neither work.

Checked outgoing connections and the device sends data constantly to "hido-iot.com" which is a Chinese based address.

I submitted a request to Signature Solar to see if they will need to send me another device or if there is a fix. The support guy (I'll leave his name off of here) had no idea about the connection or anything related to the dongle for that matter. It's always disappointing talking to "support" that knows less than you do. That's why I called in, to talk to someone smarter than me :|

I'm referring to the dongles internal IP modification page. Where you can reprogram the dongle.

When you connect to the 18Kpv dongle's local IP address you get this page.
View attachment 182207

When I try connecting to the 6000xp dongle's local IP...I get nothing. Note the dongles are physically different and 6000xp dongle has Bluetooth, while the 18Kpv dongle does not.
I was hoping they were the same. I have an 18k sitting here in the box but haven't opened it. I don't think there is an interface page. Hopefully Signature Solar will figure that out.

If the inverter is not running, no point in trying network. Basic's first.

YES for sure..

I helped my neighbor hook one of these up the other day (actually done two different ones recently), and I say keep with the basics first.

First change the AC output from 50Hz to 60Hz (same like you indicated in a previous post)...

The last one I did, we hadn't even done the Lifepower4 battery firmware yet (he has no internet yet), so we started by setting it to Lead-Acid battery, and then on BOTH Charge and Discharge screens set it to 'Use BatV'..

Also set the off-grid mode check box (somewhere there in the settings pages), and set the Run Without AC check box.

We got the inverter going without anything further. Of course make sure the batteries aren't freezing or alarming or anything like that (providing power to the inverter terminals).

Then once basic function works, can do the battery firmware (get it pre-staged on a laptop first, where you have an internet connection), set the correct address switch DIP settings, cabling and can try enabling Lithium Battery and Battery type 0, then set the 'Use BatV' back to 'Use SoC' on BOTH Charge and Discharge screens. Observe if there are any battery alarms seen on the 18kpv before assuming the comms are working.

Then do the USB memory stick firmware update method (as someone here already pointed out steps to do it), to upgrade the firmware on the inverter.

I also saw some people having issues with the WiFi when not using WPA2 or something to that effect (either had to turn it on or turn it off, or use WEP security instead, I don't remember the exact details there, just something to do with the encryption on the router making a difference in some cases (depending on the router brand).

Also to note, remember, the first time connecting to the WiFi, the phone is the client, while the inverter WiFi dongle is the access point, until you connect your phone to it, then enter the right info into the dongle, then the inverter dongle tries to switch and become a WiFi client and connect to your router for permanent operation.

And lastly, I know for sure with Starlink anyways, people have better results connecting these cheap WiFi dongles to them when you go into Starlink settings and select the 'Split 2.4g and 5g networks' so they don't try to run combined, older dongles and legacy WiFi client devices really have a hard time connecting to the single shared SSID for the two frequencies.

Last edited:
Eh, I don't know if it's the same, but I'm not able to find a working interface for the config tools. I have connected directly to the AP (provides a 10.10.10.x/24) with a 10.0.10.1 gateway. Tried to connect t o 10.0.10.1, no luck. tried https:// no luck. Completed a port scan and found 8000, and 9023. Neither work.

Checked outgoing connections and the device sends data constantly to "hido-iot.com" which is a Chinese based address.

I submitted a request to Signature Solar to see if they will need to send me another device or if there is a fix. The support guy (I'll leave his name off of here) had no idea about the connection or anything related to the dongle for that matter. It's always disappointing talking to "support" that knows less than you do. That's why I called in, to talk to someone smarter than me :|
Can you give us a screenshot of the EG4monitor tool from your phone? You click "Local Connect" it does what?

The dongles are interchangeable between the inverters.
They may be interchangeable -- but there is definitely a difference as my unit does NOT have a user interface. At least not one that I can find. I am a network engineer by trade -- but cannot find where a service is even running on the device that allows me to connect to/through.

Local AP allows me to connect, sure -- but it also always broadcast the AP. We can create a PIN to protect access, but I would like to turn off the internal AP if already connected.

They may be interchangeable -- but there is definitely a difference as my unit does NOT have a user interface. At least not one that I can find. I am a network engineer by trade -- but cannot find where a service is even running on the device that allows me to connect to/through.

Local AP allows me to connect, sure -- but it also always broadcast the AP. We can create a PIN to protect access, but I would like to turn off the internal AP if already connected.
Just saying that you can use a dongle from the 18Kpv in the 6000xp. (Maybe SS will sell one)

Just saying that you can use a dongle from the 18Kpv in the 6000xp. (Maybe SS will sell one)
Eh, not a bad idea. I have an 18kpv to install for a friend. Maybe he wont care about the data stream to China. HMM. I'll call SS first and get them to tell me something.

Dang. I wonder what was defective inside. Can you post your return experience

Dang. I wonder what was defective inside. Can you post your return experience
Quick update because it is now coming up to 6 months. We tried to change the dingle, changed settings, changed wifi settings, and nothing worked for SS to find my system.

I spoke with Markus who ordered a replacement for the entire system. His thought process was that something may have been damaged in shipping. That turned out to be the case... When the new one came in, I set everything up and it worked! I added another rack of batteries to the system and have been up and running fully off grid for almost 6 months now.

I do appreciate the help everyone offered but it turned out I just had a damaged system through shipping. Big Thanks to Signature Solar and Markus along with his team getting this up and working towards actual free off grid living. I will post an video soon showing my setup and the system as I currently have it operating with a double ac3000 system for a backup. (seldomly used)

Quick update because it is now coming up to 6 months. We tried to change the dingle, changed settings, changed wifi settings, and nothing worked for SS to find my system.

I spoke with Markus who ordered a replacement for the entire system. His thought process was that something may have been damaged in shipping. That turned out to be the case... When the new one came in, I set everything up and it worked! I added another rack of batteries to the system and have been up and running fully off grid for almost 6 months now.

I do appreciate the help everyone offered but it turned out I just had a damaged system through shipping. Big Thanks to Signature Solar and Markus along with his team getting this up and working towards actual free off grid living. I will post an video soon showing my setup and the system as I currently have it operating with a double ac3000 system for a backup. (seldomly used)
Good job everyone

Back