diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 6500ex grid charge

Djbodya

Question.... I have a off grid system. But want to use grid charging when available.. it has a AC input and an on-board charger. How can I set it up to charge from grid? I'm having trouble figuring it out. 20221001_130256.jpg20221001_130239.jpg

You just need to connect 120v to the AC input.
This looks like a portable setup. So, it can be as simple as cutting the female end off of an extention cord and discarding it. Then connect the cut end to the AC input and plug the male end into a receptacle.
You may need to adjust the charging current down to avoid overloading the circuit it's plugged into. And keep in mind that while charging, the output is also being fed from the AC input. So, any loads will also limit what you can draw from the receptacle, for charging.

Yes I figured as much. Is there a way to check current input. I had it running for several hours and looks like the SOC indicator didn't move. Should I keep it plugged in overnight?

Question.... I have a off grid system. But want to use grid charging when available.. it has a AC input and an on-board charger. How can I set it up to charge from grid? I'm having trouble figuring it out. View attachment 212629View attachment 212630

You would also need to check the charger source priority to make sure that OSO is not selected for solar only.

1714587359637.png

You would also need to check the charger source priority to make sure that OSO is not selected for solar only.

View attachment 212647
Ok good to know I didn't think to check that. Also the system I have is with an old firmware. Is it needed to be updated or can I use it as is. I know several months back signature solar was selling kits for updating the system

Is there a way to check current input.
You should be able to scroll through the display screen option to see this.
I had it running for several hours and looks like the SOC indicator didn't move.
Check charging settings to verify that you have it set to charge from the grid input.
Should I keep it plugged in overnight?
You can keep it plugged in for as long as you want.
Once you get it doing what you want it to do.

Ok so the problem with the AC imput is that it does not like the GFI outlet. It will trip it all the time. You can charge your system with a regular AC outlet and it will take several hours to charge up 2 of those batteries no problem. Haven't tried it with a generator yet. Will see

Ok so the problem with the AC imput is that it does not like the GFI outlet. It will trip it all the time.
This indicates a problem in your wiring.
I would guess that there's a second N/G bond.

This indicates a problem in your wiring.
I would guess that there's a second N/G bond.
Here is 3 photos of the wiring I did. The system is stand alone not tied into anything. The far left 20amp is main inverter input the rest out to loads

Attachments

• 20220918_133100.jpg
    20220918_133100.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220918_133052.jpg
    20220918_133052.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220918_132958.jpg
    20220918_132958.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 4
The system is stand alone not tied into anything.
Not according to your post.
Ok so the problem with the AC imput is that it does not like the GFI outlet.

When you have AC input, it provides the N/G bond.
In your pictures, the neutrals and grounds are bonded together.
This is a second N/G bond. You can only have one N/G bond.
Two creates a parallel path between the bonds. And neutral current will flow on the grounding system. This is called a ground fault. The GFCI is seeing this and tripping to save anyone from getting shocked.

Not according to your post.

When you have AC input, it provides the N/G bond.
In your pictures, the neutrals and grounds are bonded together.
This is a second N/G bond. You can only have one N/G bond.
Two creates a parallel path between the bonds. And neutral current will flow on the grounding system. This is called a ground fault. The GFCI is seeing this and tripping to save anyone from getting shocked.
I see. But the inverter is not on at this stage only the imput to charge battery. I belive the PV imput works the same way, dosent it? I don't know if there is something important that I'm missing here. Can you please explain what and how the braker can be wired to ha e a correct flow without blowing anything out. If you want picks on all the wires I can post them.
Thanks

But the inverter is not on at this stage only the imput to charge battery.
When powered by AC input , the unit is in bypass mode.
This connects the output to the input.

When powered by AC input, you can't have a second N/G bond.
Neutral must be separated from ground, on the output.

Also, if the 6500 is on the latest firmware of 79.71, you should have a setting 42 which can enable/disable the neutral-ground bond.

1715364352273.png

I'm in the process to get it updated. Will that fix the issue of using AC wall plugs imput to charge and using inverter output for loads?
It won't solve the issue of your neutrals and grounds together in your loads panel. That must be corrected by you.

It won't solve the issue of your neutrals and grounds together in your loads panel. That must be corrected by you.
Hold up. I've been thinking about this.. why should it matter on the AC imput side of the inverter if I have ground and neutral connected together on the output side. There is no bipas it's just imput to charge battery.

Hold up. I've been thinking about this.. why should it matter on the AC imput side of the inverter if I have ground and neutral connected together on the output side. There is no bipas it's just imput to charge battery.
You can't have input without bypass.

Back