diy solar

diy solar

Feast or Famine, The off grid solar dilemma.

I don't know if its climate change or what but it seems Alabama is moving to permanent famine solar wise. The odds on getting a 100% sunny day seems to be about as good as winning the lottery.

Summer used to be almost cloudless a few years back. Overcast or heavy clouds is getting to be the norm. I guess I'm going to have to triple my panels to make up for it at this rate.

Overcast or heavy clouds is getting to be the norm. I guess I'm going to have to triple my panels to make up for it at this rate.
LOL
Well I am not sure the cause, but after 21 days without a drop of rain, now it seems we are getting nothing but rain for 8-9 days in a row.
Feast or Famine appears to be the right title.

i am lucky the cabin uses so little that i have no issues yet.. (prays to the flying spaghetti monster) (or putang if that works for you). but so far I am way over paneled. hope to continue that tradition in the future.

currently a fridge, freezer and the sewage pump runs 24-7 year round. the A/C split pack runs from april to october 24-7 to keep it dry and cool all off of solar.

I don't know if its climate change or what but it seems Alabama is moving to permanent famine solar wise. The odds on getting a 100% sunny day seems to be about as good as winning the lottery.

Summer used to be almost cloudless a few years back. Overcast or heavy clouds is getting to be the norm. I guess I'm going to have to triple my panels to make up for it at this rate.
Alabama here too. The PV is all over the place, but it was a better day than most. At least you can make out the bell curve.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_155012_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_155012_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 11
This reminds me that I'm going to have to figure out some solar for a well because I want to drill one next year. We have public water but it's a community water system so I'd like to have a well just in case. I'll be posting on here for advice when I get closer to doing it, but I'm thinking maybe just put a compressor on it and blow up the water, then I don't have anything down that hole but a pipe for air. I just don't know how low the water table can be and still be able to get a head of water to the surface. Oh well, another thread someday.
On

I would trade for the temps or the rain either. Or both. It's been at least three weeks now with maybe a tenth of an inch.
Finally rained here over the weekend, some places as much 4.5 inches. We received over 2 inches. Had doctor appointment yesterday 60 miles from home, the corn there was stressed considerably while as you drove eastward towards home it looked better. We are better off than many.

Finally rained here over the weekend, some places as much 4.5 inches. We received over 2 inches. Had doctor appointment yesterday 60 miles from home, the corn there was stressed considerably while as you drove eastward towards home it looked better. We are better off than many.
We are getting all the rain in the Northeast. I've had rain every day for over a month now. I don't recall ever seeing such rain. My meadow looks like a tropical rainforest. My forecast has looked like this for over 4 weeks straight:

Untitled-3.png

We are getting all the rain in the Northeast. I've had rain every day for over a month now. I don't recall ever seeing such rain. My meadow looks like a tropical rainforest. My forecast has looked like this for over 4 weeks straight:

View attachment 154592
Too much rain is about as bad as not enough rain. Extremes of either just suck.

I thought I had seen some serious rain. Back in 1994 we got almost 30 inches. A gasoline pipeline burst on the San Jacinto river on the east side of Houston and the river caught on fire. We lived about 45 minutes east of Houston and got something like 24 inches.

Fall of 1999 a freak storm came in and we got 19 inches in six hours. My wife had just moved here from Wisconsin. She was a little freaked out and asked me if it rained like this often. I said, "Nah, not that often. Maybe once or twice a year." ?

Then came Hurricane Harvey in 2017. Sixty (60) inches of rain. That's a six and a zero, not a typo. I thought I had seen rain. I was wrong. It's hard to imagine something like that unless you live through it.

1687870928249.png

This is I-10 between Houston and Beaumont, close to where I lived at the time. We were about 4 miles south of I-10. Amazingly our house didn't flood but obviously many did.
1687871175169.png

So now, even when it's extreme drought, I'm careful about wishing for rain. Feast or famine indeed.

Sometimes you just get lucky. The grid went down today with temperatures already close to 90F, 73 dewpoint and a heat index of 99F. Why is that lucky you ask? Because it is just the beginning of a full sunny day, my batteries are at about 80% and the PV is enough to provide A/C to maintain my house comfortable while whatever caused the power to go down is worked on by some poor Linemen forced out in to the blistering heat to repair things.

When the grid goes down on a beautiful weather day it is almost always off for several hours. With it being Sunday they will have to call in people to solve the loss. This takes time and meanwhile the folks without electricity will have to endure the heat. Not sure what caused the loss but extreme heat and equipment failure go hand and hand.

ETA: Had a neighbor call me from the nearby town with the news power was out in town due to a substation failure. He said it came back on during his call and asked about out here. It is still off. He has to come back home to get a generator running so that he can keep his kennels cool.

Update: the Co-Op txt me with the power restored. Have to give them credit as it was only down for 1-1/2 hours. Hopefully the rest of the day it stays up for those folks that really need it during this extreme heat period.

Last edited:
I thought I had seen some serious rain. Back in 1994 we got almost 30 inches. A gasoline pipeline burst on the San Jacinto river on the east side of Houston and the river caught on fire. We lived about 45 minutes east of Houston and got something like 24 inches.

Fall of 1999 a freak storm came in and we got 19 inches in six hours. My wife had just moved here from Wisconsin. She was a little freaked out and asked me if it rained like this often. I said, "Nah, not that often. Maybe once or twice a year." ?

Then came Hurricane Harvey in 2017. Sixty (60) inches of rain. That's a six and a zero, not a typo. I thought I had seen rain. I was wrong. It's hard to imagine something like that unless you live through it.

View attachment 154598

This is I-10 between Houston and Beaumont, close to where I lived at the time. We were about 4 miles south of I-10. Amazingly our house didn't flood but obviously many did.
View attachment 154599

So now, even when it's extreme drought, I'm careful about wishing for rain. Feast or famine indeed.
I have talked to Texans about this before.

When asking them about rainwater harvesting they laughed.

They said” When we get rain its in buckets all at once”

When your in a famine of solar production but those who use the power are still feasting…that’s where diesel comes in
Full write up coming soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpeg
    IMG_2283.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2273.jpeg
    IMG_2273.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    516.2 KB · Views: 46
Back