diy solar

diy solar

FLA batteries smoking with no charge going to them! What do I do?

Dude77

I have a DC solar trailer with two FLA forklift batteries. One of the cells exploded almost two weeks ago and I've been getting help here on the board. However I woke up this morning to see the system smoking really badly so I shut everything down. No smoke for the rest of the day until just about 20 minutes ago.

The solar combiner switches are off, the midnight controller is off, the breakers are off, and the SMA is off! And it's still smoking! Do I need to be worried? Is there an explosion risk? Is there a fire risk? I'm hoping somebody can answer quickly on just how to handle this

Thank you! I hope somebody can tell me what to do, I've been looking all over Google and all I'm seeing is that it says it's the end of the battery's life. But doesn't tell me how to stop it from smoking or off-gassing

My uneducated opinion is you can only try to make it safe around it for in case it catches fire. Wear ear protection if you go close. There's not really anything inside the battery that can burn though, so hydrogen explosions are probably the main risk.

Thank you! I finally heard back from a guy who deals with these DC solar trailers. He had me yank the Anderson cable going to the rear battery that seems to be the one off gasing. I do truly, so truly appreciate your quick response!

Disconnect the battery terminals and separate the batteries. Wear eye or face protection.

Ear protection? Face and eye protection!

Your batteries are cursed. Consider AGM (I have SunXtender and FullRiver.) Consider a new forklift battery, maybe FLA. Consider EG4 PowerPro, supposedly has been working closed-loop with SI. Ask Dexter at CC about that, buy from him if he says they do work together.

Thank you all! The offending rear battery has been disconnected via the Anderson cable from the front battery, but everything remains shut off until I can get a tech out here to fix, replace, or discover any other options I may have at this moment! I truly appreciate all of you responding so quickly

Were the batteries overcharged? It sounds like they were held at equalize voltage for way too long.

JustGary, apologies for the delay. I honestly don't know what happened. The system never really even hiccupted until I started getting a little above average off-gassing about a month ago. Then I had one cell literally explode, sounded louder than a gunshot. There is a separate thread on this.

I do not recall the exact settings at the moment, but I never touched a thing from the date I bought it. I would charge it from time to time using a 9500 w harbor freight predator generator.

Frankly, I’d unplug all connectors. Maybe a switch is not switching. Thereby sending power to the battery.

Most of those DC trailers sat for months (some for years) in outdoor auction yards. That pretty much ruined the FLA batteries in them. Are yours the "Titans"?

We've found somebody who "reconditions" them and have had it done for a couple of the many solar trailers folks have bought around here, but they never come "up to par". They work OK, but only seem to have half the capacity they should.

I don't trust them.

It sounds like you have an internal short within the battery itself. It can happen with FLA. Saw it personally with some GC2's.

Back