diy solar

diy solar

Spent $5k and plans have changed, need to pivot and need advice what to do next with RV build.

kobalt60

I’m new to the forum, so I’m posting this here with the newbies… if it’s better suited for the mobile forum, please feel free to move it :)

So… a few weeks ago we passed through Sulphur Springs, TX on our way to Dallas for the eclipse. I visited Signature Solar and took delivery of 3 LL 48v 100AH batteries, an EG4 3k AIO, a 48v-12v step down transformer and a couple of bus bars. I chose these components mainly because of the limited space we have to work with and the desire to have enough capacity to run an RV air conditioner off-grid for extended periods over a long weekend. Grid charging was deemed sufficient for phase one as we typically spend a few days connected to shore power before venturing off-grid. Our RV is a 28ft travel trailer wired for 50A service from a NEMA 14-50R. I did not think through how to power the camper through the various ‘dog bone’ adapters we employ now and then when a NEMA 14-50R receptacle isn’t available. But that’s only part of the complication…

Since then, my wife and I have decided that we need a larger RV and are in the market for a 5th wheel (and a bigger truck to tow it!)

I’m still sold on installing a 48v DC system, there are just too many advantages not to, especially in a larger rig. I don’t think the EG4-3K is going to work for a larger rig, and with more space to work with I would rather install something that supports split phase AC out. I’m considering the EG4 6000XP, but would appreciate recommendations for alternatives. Roof mounted solar is likely to be a fast follow project since we’ll be heading into southern Utah soon and there will be a lot more sun and fewer 50A electric hookups to charge from.

I would rather install something that supports split phase AC out
Split phase power is unusual in an RV. There is both phases of the power fed in, but the bus bars for the power are separated so the ganged split phase circuit breakers won’t fit.

Usually it’s 2 x 120 volt ACs. Each AC takes around 1500 watts from the inverter and 1700 watts from the battery.

Your batteries are a decent size, and the AIO you have can power a single unit for hours.

I have a 24 volt system about the same size you mention. I need to fill my roof with panels and put about as many on the ground to run a single AC. Two ACs is not feasible. Also above 85 outside temp, the AC runs nonstop.

To piggy back on @chrisski, since there is no 240v need, you could just purchase another EG4 3000w inverter and wire each one up to half of your power distribution box (breaker panel). This will also allow you to plug into 50a or 30a RV service and it will either allow both or 1 inverter to charge with no hassle.

A 6000XP or similar split phase 48v inverter will not like being fed 120v, so its 50a RV service or nothing.

Back