diy solar

diy solar

going overboard with plants?

So by a show of hands, who here is interested in veggies? :)
I started with veggies,1/4 acre of strawberries and a 1/2 acre of veggies (made some decent spare change selling them)
Over time I switched to perennial flowers (much more profit with less work) and left my wife to maintain a small kitchen garden.
I became a landscape artist, a shovel became my brush and rocks, plants and water were my medium.
I'm retired now,
the big flower propagation beds are now a thing of the past but I still have some small perennial flower gardens around the house while the wife keeps the kitchen garden going.

I mean come on cucumbers!!

1687628504679.png
look at the transplant at the bottom. withering away.

It's not a lack of water. Could it be too much sun? We have syco amounts of it at the moment.

also I found early blight at a few of my potato leaves.

So what I have done now is to space them more apart as to allow more air flow. also I removed the infected leaves. and I have ordered some organic fungicide.

WOW, it is as if I know what I am doing ;)

hahhahh if only.

Reactions: D71
ok speak no more, you have gotten yourself a free of charge stay at my humble domain.

So how do you like your breakfast? Any allergies we should know about for your 5 star dinner?
Too late, too far and too expensive
I had to retire due to health reasons, otherwise we might have been able to work out the last toos

Too much water? Try some shade during the hottest part of the day
I tried growing in "bags", some things like tomatoes do OK but vines didn't

Too late, too far and too expensive
agreed, it's not that I have the budget to allow for an all expensive inclusive offer.

But I am just rambling. It's what I excel at ;)

Too much water?
well the bags do permiate. they are sold as to not retain water. So in theory they can never contain too much water.
But I think you and I know both know the difference between practice and theory. In where in theory there is non, but in practice there is.

also I found early blight at a few of my potato leaves.

So what I have done now is to space them more apart as to allow more air flow. also I removed the infected leaves. and I have ordered some organic fungicide.

WOW, it is as if I know what I am doing ;)

hahhahh if only.
I don’t think we humans became civil until we started farming. It was once considered normal to farm as we did not have much money nor major super markets. Most holidays and special events in America are centered around food. Why we as a nation are fat. Being fat was another sign of wealth. Now we know fat is not healthy. We eat way to many altered - processed food. That is advantage to farming - whole better nutrient foods….no preservatives.
Take your shoes off and ground yourself to the garden soil. It is a unique feeling. Some ppl say grounding to earth is healthy and our natural connection to the World.
Make sure you do not over water.

Good Luck

I don’t think we humans became civil until we started farming. It was once considered normal to farm as we did not have much money nor major super markets. Most holidays and special events in America are centered around food. Why we as a nation are fat. Being fat was another sign of wealth. Now we know fat is not healthy. We eat way to many altered - processed food. That is advantage to farming - whole better nutrient foods….no preservatives.
Take your shoes off and ground yourself to the garden soil. It is a unique feeling. Some ppl say grounding to earth is healthy and our natural connection to the World.
Make sure you do not over water.

Good Luck
understood, I am in no fear of over watering. As stated earlier.

all my mishaps need to be found elsewhere.

hmm but unless I do overwater and even though the bags let go of water there might still be too much of it in it.

argg.. ok.. How do we find out if it is too much water or not?

I mean I am socking my plants I am. In fear of giving them too little.

soaking needs some nuance. I water them early morning. a good rince that gets at least 30% of the bag wet.

For the cucumbers I do extra. like at least at the eve or when ever I feel like it in between.

When I say vine, I'm thinking cucumbers, squash and pumpkins.
I found the bag "vines" didn't produce as well as ground planted.
Part of it is a potting mix isn't as good as living soil
I was thinking of using hydroponic fertilizer in the trays but I have more than enough land to fiddle around with bags.

One trick is to put bags in a shallow tray and keep an inch/2or3 centimeters of water in it
After a couple of days I let the tray go dry a day
It's a trial and error thing getting the water to wick up high enough but not saturating the soil

I noticed pots
Sink them into the ground
It helps retain moisture and keeps the soil from getting to hot in that baking sun

Soil only has to be moist for plants. As long as the soil doesn't go bone dry plants will do well

...another reason I went with perennial flowers - they aren't as fussy .about their growing conditions.

Have anyone around with horses and using wood shavings as bedding?
Composted it makes a great soil builder you can mix right away.
Raw it makes a good mulch that breaks down quickly

I am assuming it was the overdose of sun/heat.

look how well the bottom cucumber is doing at around 04:30.

1687662033842.png

I am starting to naively believe I have green thumbs.
Ahh the well known dunning-kruger effect at play again ;(

Given the DIY nature of this forum. I am just testing the waters here.
View attachment 153340

@Will Prowse

Would it be preferable to keep plant based topics off this forum or can you see how this is both related to DIY and solar? ;)

I enjoy gardening, both for commercial produce and for personal unwind/decompress time.

I make money from produce, so I have done barrels, posts/gutters, pipes, different kinds of vertical gardening.

I'm big on raised garden beds, I spend a lot of time turning sand/clay into growing soil with compost, lime, etc.
So raised beds that get covered when the season is done, nets to keep the bugs out, etc.

So if you have ideas you want to share, I'm all ears.

Back