diy solar

diy solar

Ground mount/carport vs shipping container

G00SE

There’s two O’s in G00SE
Which method would you choose to mount panels?
I could use the extra and secure space of the container for other stuff as well, but I also wouldn’t be upset about a large carport type structure.

What region are you?

Up here we get snow- ground mount all the way, or vertical on building wall. Snow never accumulates…

If you are in Florida and can do a ‘carport’ with adequate wind resistance then, ya- no annoyance with panels covered up.

Which method would you choose to mount panels?
I could use the extra and secure space of the container for other stuff as well, but I also wouldn’t be upset about a large carport type structure.
I use Groundmount but that works for me.
Only persons I know using shipping containers are:

Thank you all for the replies. @12VoltInstalls I’m in northern Arizona. We have some snow, never over a foot on ground and that’s rare. If I went ground mount I’d like at least 3’ from the bottom panel and the ground to protect from incidental damage/animals. Our house is engineered for 40psf snow load and 90mph wind shear for reference on criteria. I figured if I went the carport route it’d help protect the panels underneath as well

The container I feel would be easier to compensate for wind, I could do two rows of portrait orientation and fit roughly 24 panels and it’d provide some shade to the container at the same time

@Nobodybusiness that YouTube is what prompted my intrigue of the container idea actually! Their tilt is genius too

@SamG340 that first one looks awesome!

@SamG340 that first one looks awesome!

Yes very cool, but lots of metal work to make that happen , and I wouldn't like the look of it when it gets windy

My plan is to mount panels almost flat on the top, and almost vertical on the side , using the strength of the container to the make structure

Two different angles, one favours summer production, the other favours winter.

Two arrays wired in parallel, or using two separate MPPTs

IMG_20230721_183728.png

Last edited:
Yes very cool, but lots of metal work to make that happen , and I wouldn't like the look of it when it gets windy

My plan is to mount panels almost flat on the top, and almost vertical on the side , using the strength of the container as the make structure

Two different angles, one favours summer production, the other favours winter.

Two arrays wired in parallel, or using two separate MPPTs

View attachment 158579
Interesting.
When I used a triangle calculator I saw if I did roughly a 35 degree mount that would equate to a roughly 8:12 pitch
So with the panels if I two 2 portrait rows that’s a flat length of roughly 12.8ft.
At 35 degree tilt I could run them to be flush on the roof with the back side of the container (similar to your sketch) and about 6ft of gained height to the top of container at the panel peak, and then have roughly a 2ft overhang on the front wall of the container and the panels would end roughly 1 foot below the roof line.
But your sketch could also help bridge the winter/summer gap with pre angled strings for each too

Interesting.
When I used a triangle calculator I saw if I did roughly a 35 degree mount that would equate to a roughly 8:12 pitch
So with the panels if I two 2 portrait rows that’s a flat length of roughly 12.8ft.
At 35 degree tilt I could run them to be flush on the roof with the back side of the container (similar to your sketch) and about 6ft of gained height to the top of container at the panel peak, and then have roughly a 2ft overhang on the front wall of the container and the panels would end roughly 1 foot below the roof line.
But your sketch could also help bridge the winter/summer gap with pre angled strings for each too
Yes great , using every last inch of space possible to maximize production , so long as they don't shade each other

@GOO5E where abouts are you in the world ? There are calculators online that will tell you the perfect angles for summer & winter production

(if you're into that kind of thing ! )

@GOO5E where abouts are you in the world ? There are calculators online that will tell you the perfect angles for summer & winter production

(if you're into that kind of thing ! )
I’m in northern AZ. My latitude is 34 degrees hence my 35 degree reference. Most online calculators said for a non adjusting array that I should strive for 30-35 degree angle for my location

I’m in northern AZ. My latitude is 34 degrees hence my 35 degree reference. Most online calculators said for a non adjusting array that I should strive for 30-35 degree angle for my location

Arizona I bet you get good solar production , I don't suppose getting the angles perfect matters like it does here in gray miserable raining Britain ?

Az, USA

44° in winter

14° in summer

Screenshot_2023-07-21-19-03-13-713_com.android.chrome.jpg

Solar panels on almost any angle will still make , you're just playing an efficiency game

What region are you?

Up here we get snow- ground mount all the way, or vertical on building wall. Snow never accumulates…

If you are in Florida and can do a ‘carport’ with adequate wind resistance then, ya- no annoyance with panels covered up.
Here ground mount under 7' dont need building permits, just electrical. But if you attach it at all to a container its not considered a ground mount anymore

Here ground mount under 7' dont need building permits, just electrical. But if you attach it at all to a container its not considered a ground mount anymore
Can still be worth backing it up next to a container as a wind break

Happened onto this yt video from the shipping container guy.
They did 3 versions to get it right for this mobile monster power system container.
Electrical nerds may experience a slight dopamine surge upon viewing the utility room equipment build.

Some might find the design interesting.

Last edited:
I think you will get a practical advantage if it's a shipping container. Like, it optimizes land usage while offering a practical resolution. The portability of the container enables flexibility in positioning, which may be useful for maximizing solar exposure. Furthermore, you can quickly move it if necessary. So, shipping container provides a flexible and space-saving solution that is in line with your objective of generating power effectively while maintaining secure storage capabilities. Anyway, if that is what you are going to choose, Consider the container's orientation for optimal sun exposure, as well as any municipal rules regarding container alterations.

Arizona I bet you get good solar production , I don't suppose getting the angles perfect matters like it does here in gray miserable raining Britain ?

Az, USA

44° in winter

14° in summer

View attachment 158588

Solar panels on almost any angle will still make , you're just playing an efficiency game
Just make sure to consider your usage. If you are selling back to the grid that is a different optimal angle then being completely off-grid. A steeper angle like 30-40 will give your more consistent year-round production where the 28.8 will maximize total production.

Just make sure to consider your usage. If you are selling back to the grid that is a different optimal angle then being completely off-grid. A steeper angle like 30-40 will give your more consistent year-round production where the 28.8 will maximize total production.

Off grid looking to maximize winter production only , summer isn't an issue ! ?

Screenshot_2023-10-03-09-55-19-087-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Panels are almost vertical for max winter production

Back