diy solar

diy solar

My Little Ground Mount

rwh

So, I started my small 800w (4-200w) adjustable ground mount. So far so good.
The initial inspiration came from Tech4U by James (YouTube) and later a very similar style by Rodney Hunt (YouTube).
I also got some helpful tips from the forums own 420hmsPA.
The system is straight forward but I had an issue with a method to lock the mount at the different angles.
This is what I came up with. I think it works great and I wanted to share it with the group.
I added a 2x6 mounted to the frame at 90 º to the frame, screwed & thru bolted.
I ran a horizontal 2x6, screwed to the posts, with one hole for 18 º, the other hole for 45 º.
Just have to move 2 bolts for the angle change.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 63
Looks good! I have 8 new 400 watt panels and 2 of the Eg4 mounts to put in this summer. Not looking forward to making 8 holes big enough to set 6x6 posts.

Reactions: rwh
I like, it does make a positive difference over a fixed tilt mount
Similar to mine, the "key" likeness is the swivel bolts.
My mount differs in the way we lock the panels in place.
(hole thru the pvc into a 2x4 brace spanning the 4x4s
- the extra boards below the brace are only on the first set of uprights to hold a combiner box)
Each string is separately adjustable between 4x4 posts.
I originally set mine up to hold 6 panels (200w) in a 2s3p configuration.

This year I'll be upgrading to double the array to a 4s3p by using longer swivel 2x4s
I'll have 3 spare movable movable mounts (in background) I hope to put some bigger panels on.

mount.jpg

These both look good. Is using wood (presume pressure treated) better than say a metal kit? 6x6 wouldn't be cheap - I'd think home depot would have some gate/railing stuff that would cost about the same.

When do you adjust the tilt, during the day, or once a month, or as needed?

Nicely done.
I'm glad I could help.

Now I might have to steal your locking mechanism, thanks for sharing it.
Mines some on the fly redneck engineering with scrap blocks of wood that were temporary but it's been working great.

Attachments

• IMG_20240329_170405.jpg
    IMG_20240329_170405.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240328_193609.jpg
    IMG_20240328_193609.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 29
These both look good. Is using wood (presume pressure treated) better than say a metal kit? 6x6 wouldn't be cheap - I'd think home depot would have some gate/railing stuff that would cost about the same.

I went wood because it was cheaper.
4 years later and no problem with the mount

I adjust mine a few times per year
A big plus in the north country is setting the panels nearly vertical to help keep the snow off (not foolproof but it does help)
In November I set the panel angle to nearly vertical
I'm about to reset to match the sun now that it's getting higher
I'll adjust again when the sun nears its highest point

Actually I think twice a year is enough - winter/summer - but it's so easy to adjust I can't help myself

I'm paying attention to every diy ground mount, for new ideas.
Mine will be similar to those. Wasn't planning on tilting. But will probably build it to do so, just in case I change my mind.
Also will be PT wood , to avoid double earth connections on the grounding system.

My next one will be metal because I got pallet racking for scrap price.

I used diy laminated posts and 4x6s.
Just finished my taxes yesterday, I was under $750 all in for the lumber, strut and hardware before the 30% back.

I've since expanded it to 14 panels. It's been solid through ~8" of heavy wet snow and 50+ mph gusts (it is sheltered on the N side)

I've adjusted twice so far, will probably end up adjusting 3 times a year.

Nicely done.
I'm glad I could help.

Now I might have to steal your locking mechanism, thanks for sharing it.
Mines some on the fly redneck engineering with scrap blocks of wood that were temporary but it's been working great.

Thanks. Steal away!

My panels will be mounted to unistrut that's attached to the wood.
I'm just doing 2 angles, one for summer, spring, fall and the other for winter.

Very clean looking mount! You will have to post photos when you have the panels mounted up, would love to see what it looks like.

Also will be PT wood , to avoid double earth connections on the grounding system.
After the thread on multiple grounding electrodes, this is something I wondered on.

I could understand pressure treated wood having low enough moisture content to not be considered a path to ground... But how the hell do you do that with a metal mounting system? I bought one of the cheap Eco-Worthy ground mount kits just to experiment. Do people use rubberized insulators or something?

Very clean looking mount! You will have to post photos when you have the panels mounted up, would love to see what it looks like.

After the thread on multiple grounding electrodes, this is something I wondered on.

I could understand pressure treated wood having low enough moisture content to not be considered a path to ground... But how the hell do you do that with a metal mounting system? I bought one of the cheap Eco-Worthy ground mount kits just to experiment. Do people use rubberized insulators or something?
Concrete?

Back