diy solar

diy solar

Huawei SUN2000-(2KTL-6KTL)-L1

amit5674

Hi,
Fact: I need to perform firmware update to the Huawei optimizer SUN2000-450-P.
In order to do so, as far as I understood, I have to install the Huawei inverter SUN2000-2KTL-6KTL-L1 which the upgrade process is managed from.
I'm planning to use the inverter only for optimizer firmware update so I don't need a battery, and I cannot buy one because the inverter requires Huawei batteries which are out of my budget.
My questions are:
- If there is no battery, the Inverter will power up? if so, what is it power source if not the battery? the grid?
- Solar system which composed of solar panel-> SUN2000-450-P optimizer -> SUN2000-2KTL-6KTL-L1 Inverter: should work properly?
- Does the SUN2000-(2KTL-6KTL)-L1 is able to connect to non-Huawei low capacity batteries?
Info:
https://royalamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/SUN2000-2KTL-6KTL-L1-User-Manual.pdf
Please help!
Thanks.

Also want to know if it can power up without battery... looking at that exact inverter too!
Need all the info possible on it!

SUN2000-3KTL-L1 user here.

- If there is no battery, the Inverter will power up? if so, what is it power source if not the battery? the grid?
Yes, it will power up. Yes, the power source will be the grid. This is a grid tied anti-islanding inverter. Won't work offgrid anyways. Battery is just an optional add-on, not a must.

- Solar system which composed of solar panel-> SUN2000-450-P optimizer -> SUN2000-2KTL-6KTL-L1 Inverter: should work properly?
Yes. Again, grid tied mode.

- Does the SUN2000-(2KTL-6KTL)-L1 is able to connect to non-Huawei low capacity batteries?
Do you mean low voltage? Like 48 V? If so, the answer is no. This inverter will only work with high voltage batteries. Exclusively with Huawei LUNA2000 and LG Chem RESU series.

SUN2000-3KTL-L1 user here.

Yes, it will power up. Yes, the power source will be the grid. This is a grid tied anti-islanding inverter. Won't work offgrid anyways. Battery is just an optional add-on, not a must.

Yes. Again, grid tied mode.

Do you mean low voltage? Like 48 V? If so, the answer is no. This inverter will only work with high voltage batteries. Exclusively with Huawei LUNA2000 and LG Chem RESU series.
Wait so even since this is a hybrid inverter you cant use it in pure off grid mode?
I was sure it will work even without the grid!

Wait so even since this is a hybrid inverter you cant use it in pure off grid mode?
I was sure it will work even without the grid!
That is correct. Unless you add a Huawei Backup Box to your system.

SUN2000 series are grid tied anti-islanding inverters, can't work in island mode (offgrid) on their own. With or without battery.

That is correct. Unless you add a Huawei Backup Box to your system.

SUN2000 series are grid tied anti-islanding inverters, can't work in island mode (offgrid) on their own. With or without battery.
Can you explain what is this then for? Its very confusing.

Can you explain what is this then for? Its very confusing.
OK you might be right, for single inverter you might be able to avoid the Backup Box. I've now seen in some sources Backup Box will be needed after 2 inverters and more.

I might give this a try when I have the time, making the configuration and then opening the grid breaker. Let's see if it works or not :)

Will post findings here.

OK you might be right, for single inverter you might be able to avoid the Backup Box. I've now seen in some sources Backup Box will be needed after 2 inverters and more.

I might give this a try when I have the time, making the configuration and then opening the grid breaker. Let's see if it works or not :)

Will post findings here.
Please do as im very keen on the KTL 6 single phase!

Please do as im very keen on the KTL 6 single phase!

Reporting back:

I enabled off-grid mode in the settings. First nothing happened. Then I opened the grid breaker and received "AC interruption" and "No communication to Backup Box" errors. So I thought it wouldn't work without a Backup Box as I originally posted. But then I selected "Island Grid" in the Grid Code and suddenly it falls into Off-grid operation mode and voila, lights are on. Grid breaker is still open.

I now notice a lot more noise coming from the inverter. I am not surprised since it's now become the grid forming component, setting voltage and frequency. So more load on the electronics. I think it will also heat up more.

I guess I will keep running like this to monitor what's going on. At the end of the day, it won't change anything for me financially as also in on-grid operation I wasn't needing any energy from the grid since my battery never drops below 60% at night until sunrise. So I might eventually go back to grid tied if it's less strain on the inverter (which I think it is).

But it's good to know that I don't need to buy a Huawei Backup Box (which is like 400-500€) if I want to cancel my utility contract and go off-grid in the future.

Reporting back:

I enabled off-grid mode in the settings. First nothing happened. Then I opened the grid breaker and received "AC interruption" and "No communication to Backup Box" errors. So I thought it wouldn't work without a Backup Box as I originally posted. But then I selected "Island Grid" in the Grid Code and suddenly it falls into Off-grid operation mode and voila, lights are on. Grid breaker is still open.

I now notice a lot more noise coming from the inverter. I am not surprised since it's now become the grid forming component, setting voltage and frequency. So more load on the electronics. I think it will also heat up more.

I guess I will keep running like this to monitor what's going on. At the end of the day, it won't change anything for me financially as also in on-grid operation I wasn't needing any energy from the grid since my battery never drops below 60% at night until sunrise. So I might eventually go back to grid tied if it's less strain on the inverter (which I think it is).

But it's good to know that I don't need to buy a Huawei Backup Box (which is like 400-500€) if I want to cancel my utility contract and go off-grid in the future.
Awesome information! I really appreciate your effort there!
Really needed this as im about to buy this thing and order panels!
Now one thing if you could tell me the max input per MPPT is 12.5a and i want to order panels 570w bifacial jinko but the STC ISC is 14.25a and NOCT is 11.50a... Do you think this is OK for this inverter?
How many amps do you have per MPPT?

I have 405 W Longi panels with current at max power of 13.07 A.

But I don't think it matters because the 12.5 A is the maximum the inverter can take from MPPT, so I believe even if you send a higher DC current from your panel, it will be curtailed and limited at 12.5 A. Any other time, the current is limited to what the loads need. Like right now there is only 200 W of loads in my house and the input current is just 1 A.

Voltage input is more critical here. You shouldn't exceed the maximum MPPT Input Voltage. If your NOCT shows 11.50 A and if you're within the voltage range (90-560 V I believe), you should be fine.

BY THE WAY: I have a LUNA2000 battery connected to the inverter which enables this off-grid operation I believe. Your original question stated "without battery". So be careful about that if you wanna run off-grid only on solar, without battery. My test does not confirm that.

Last edited:
I have 405 W Longi panels with current at max power of 13.07 A.

But I don't think it matters because the 12.5 A is the maximum the inverter can take from MPPT, so I believe even if you send a higher DC current from your panel, it will be curtailed and limited at 12.5 A. Any other time, the current is limited to what the loads need. Like right now there is only 200 W of loads in my house and the input current is just 1 A.

Voltage input is more critical here. You shouldn't exceed the maximum MPPT Input Voltage. If your NOCT shows 11.50 A and if you're within the voltage range (90-560 V I believe), you should be fine.

BY THE WAY: I have a LUNA2000 battery connected to the inverter which enables this off-grid operation I believe. Your original question stated "without battery". So be careful about that if you wanna run off-grid only on solar, without battery. My test does not confirm that.
Thanks! Yes I read around the manual seems the battery is a requirement and thats ok as I think all their stuff is really high quality anyway and worth the bucks.
I also found the document online that gives a statement from huawei that its ok to overpanel up to 150% now the question was what does that mean so I contacted the authorised dealer and they said its ok up to 18A!
Now you mentioned NOCT but still even if NOCT was like 15A it should still be ok since it will never be drawn anyway right?
I am thinking of adding a combiner box 600v and 15a braker so even if it does somehow spike over the breaker should trip.

Attachments

• Huawei Inverter - Oversizing guidelines (3).pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 4
Thanks! Yes I read around the manual seems the battery is a requirement and thats ok as I think all their stuff is really high quality anyway and worth the bucks.
I also found the document online that gives a statement from huawei that its ok to overpanel up to 150% now the question was what does that mean so I contacted the authorised dealer and they said its ok up to 18A!
Now you mentioned NOCT but still even if NOCT was like 15A it should still be ok since it will never be drawn anyway right?
I am thinking of adding a combiner box 600v and 15a braker so even if it does somehow spike over the breaker should trip.
Yes, add a 15 A DC breaker between panels and inverter. If the distance from panels to inverter is long (my case), you could even add at both ends. Also add a DC Surge Protection Device in my opinion.

Yes, add a 15 A DC breaker between panels and inverter. If the distance from panels to inverter is long (my case), you could even add at both ends. Also add a DC Surge Protection Device in my opinion.
What do you think about this? Im talking to the seller but he said it will not trip if its more than 600v so im confused or he cannot write english well..
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! €37.03 | Solar photovoltaic PV Combiner Box With Lightning Protection 2 input 2 out DC 600V Fuse MCB SPD Waterproof Box IP65 12ways

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230913_122954_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20230913_122954_AliExpress.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0
What do you think about this? Im talking to the seller but he said it will not trip if its more than 600v so im confused or he cannot write english well..
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! €37.03 | Solar photovoltaic PV Combiner Box With Lightning Protection 2 input 2 out DC 600V Fuse MCB SPD Waterproof Box IP65 12ways
Breaker will trip above 16 A. Voltage is not relevant as long as it's below 600 V.

No idea about these boxes. I built my own little box, buying the breaker and SPDs. It does look cheap though. At least cheaper than buying a breaker and SPD individually, and also buying the plastic box itself, which I did.

Breaker will trip above 16 A. Voltage is not relevant as long as it's below 600 V.

No idea about these boxes. I built my own little box, buying the breaker and SPDs. It does look cheap though. At least cheaper than buying a breaker and SPD individually, and also buying the plastic box itself, which I did.
Im not really confident enough to build my own thats why im looking for done ones and want to protect the inverter as well..
Heres a funky thing the distributor said beside saying 18a on the mppt he said 560v is the max not 600!
Im guessing he is refering to a lower voltage to account for colder days but as I read the rule od the thumb is voltage x1.25?

Im not really confident enough to build my own thats why im looking for done ones and want to protect the inverter as well..
Heres a funky thing the distributor said beside saying 18a on the mppt he said 560v is the max not 600!
Im guessing he is refering to a lower voltage to account for colder days but as I read the rule od the thumb is voltage x1.25?
Why don't you get a 1000 V breaker to be on the safe side? Same amperes. Voltage won't be important as long as the current goes above the rating and trips the breaker.

Why don't you get a 1000 V breaker to be on the safe side? Same amperes. Voltage won't be important as long as the current goes above the rating and trips the breaker.
Well thats what confuses me a bit shouldnt i use the volts up to what my onverter is? If lets say gets so cold and volts spike up the 1000v breaker will not trip right? So why you a 1000v at this point I do not understand the reasoning or will the current spike as well at that point?
My thought was to protect the voltage and the current side what ever happenes or am i wrong?

Well thats what confuses me a bit shouldnt i use the volts up to what my onverter is? If lets say gets so cold and volts spike up the 1000v breaker will not trip right? So why you a 1000v at this point I do not understand the reasoning or will the current spike as well at that point?
My thought was to protect the voltage and the current side what ever happenes or am i wrong?
If you have such a spike, it's very likely that the current will be very high as well. So yes, the breaker will trip due to that high current.

Of course it's better to stay as close as possible to your rated voltage but since you said 600 V (or 560 V) wasn't high enough, you would have to go for the next level, which I believe is usually 1000 V for DC (maybe not).

Back