diy solar

diy solar

Huawei SUN2000-(2KTL-6KTL)-L1

By the way, I finished my testing and am back to the grid tied mode. There is an important reason:

When in off-grid mode, I took some measurements around the house and realized high voltages between neutral and ground. Also all the neutral wiring became live. The thing is SUN2000 probably does not do an automatic N-G bond in off-grid mode (apparently some inverters do) and since the main grid breaker (dual pole) was open, I basically lost my N-G bond from the utility (because neutral line gets broken when main breaker is open).

So if you're gonna run off-grid permanently, you should make sure you're grounded properly. Probably you'll need to create your own N-G bond in your house electrical panel.

By the way, I finished my testing and am back to the grid tied mode. There is an important reason:

When in off-grid mode, I took some measurements around the house and realized high voltages between neutral and ground. Also all the neutral wiring became live. The thing is SUN2000 probably does not do an automatic N-G bond in off-grid mode (apparently some inverters do) and since the main grid breaker (dual pole) was open, I basically lost my N-G bond from the utility (because neutral line gets broken when main breaker is open).

So if you're gonna run off-grid permanently, you should make sure you're grounded properly. Probably you'll need to create your own N-G bond in your house electrical panel.
Well this goes a bit beyond my comfort ill ask my friend who is an electrician to guide me and help me out with this!
This is great information!

Well this goes a bit beyond my comfort ill ask my friend who is an electrician to guide me and help me out with this!
This is great information!
Hello, I have a sun2000 7.6ktl can i run this inverter without optimizers? I get the two green lights flashing together but it does not start exporting power. Its disappointing there is no lcd screen. How to i see whats going on? I looked for a bluetooth app on play but didnt see the fusion solar one. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Gadget

Reporting back:

I enabled off-grid mode in the settings. First nothing happened. Then I opened the grid breaker and received "AC interruption" and "No communication to Backup Box" errors. So I thought it wouldn't work without a Backup Box as I originally posted. But then I selected "Island Grid" in the Grid Code and suddenly it falls into Off-grid operation mode and voila, lights are on. Grid breaker is still open.

I now notice a lot more noise coming from the inverter. I am not surprised since it's now become the grid forming component, setting voltage and frequency. So more load on the electronics. I think it will also heat up more.

I guess I will keep running like this to monitor what's going on. At the end of the day, it won't change anything for me financially as also in on-grid operation I wasn't needing any energy from the grid since my battery never drops below 60% at night until sunrise. So I might eventually go back to grid tied if it's less strain on the inverter (which I think it is).

But it's good to know that I don't need to buy a Huawei Backup Box (which is like 400-500€) if I want to cancel my utility contract and go off-grid in the future.
Hi BT77,

I'm just starting to spec out the equipment and I'm wondering.. because the grid being offline is unpredictable, would I be right to say that in the event of sudden grid being offline, the inverter won't work (i.e. won't power on, not necessary to send power to grid) from the battery to allow you to change to off grid mode? or some form of auto switching of setting from grid tied to off grid mode in the event of grid being offline.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Back