diy solar

diy solar

hwy17's Orion battery build

I actually went through a period of uncertainty about "you guys" a few years ago, being the California "yall", but I polled people in my life and they agreed we don't have a replacement.

I suspect you all over there in the UK played a part in leaving us with this plural addressing part of English missing!

The toolbox I've chosen for the cells is so tight it rules out a lot of the angle iron solutions for compression so I think I'm left trying to fine some suitable steel plates. And for two cells wide my gut tells me that has to be at least 3/8ths thick.

Thanks to the zealous rigor of some this forum's members, I guess I am now obligated to seek an amount of FR-4 Garolite separator material that Amazon is now asking me if I'd like to pay for it in installments...

Thanks to the zealous rigor of some this forum's members, I guess I am now obligated to seek an amount of FR-4 Garolite separator material that Amazon is now asking me if I'd like to pay for it in installments...
Never heard of it, thanks for the info maybe I'll consider it for the next packs after I delete my flexible cutting board stock ?.

Did you check McMaster?

I just figured out McMaster is the place about 15 minutes ago! and Amazon only let me cancel 1 of my 2 big pieces from them. Only a couple dollars lost on the blunder I think.

Did your LF304s come with two separators in each box? I’m not sure exactly what material it is, but I assumed it would be used between cells.

Did your LF304s come with two separators in each box? I’m not sure exactly what material it is, but I assumed it would be used between cells.
They did and I see now that's no insignificant accessory. They're probably getting a much better deal on that FR-4 in China.

I'm buying more separator for under and around the bank since the case and compression are all going to be metal.

Looks like an Op amp.
Works for me..

Seagal puts her nerd hat on...

An op-amp is a linear circuit that has two inputs which amplifies the difference between the +ve and -ve inputs. The symbol is like this..

1700215104932.png

An inverter (of the component type) is a digital circuit that has one input and one output. The output is the inverse digital signal to the output. So an input of 1 (typically +3.3V or +5V) would result in an output of 0 (0V). And vice versa. The symbol is like this...

1700215375292.png

?‍? :)

Seagal puts her nerd hat on...

An op-amp is a linear circuit that has two inputs which amplifies the difference between the +ve and -ve inputs. The symbol is like this..

View attachment 178285

An inverter (of the component type) is a digital circuit that has one input and one output. The output is the inverse digital signal to the output. So an input of 1 (typically +3.3V or +5V) would result in an output of 0 (0V). And vice versa. The symbol is like

Not sure if agreed upon symbol for Inverter or not.

I Usually use Visio.

Have to look and see.

Not seeing anything for inverter or transformer in visio 365. Didn't even know I had access to visio, glad it's a slow day at work ?

Edit - know not no.

Attachments

• IMG_20231117_105200.jpg
    IMG_20231117_105200.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20231117_105138.jpg
    IMG_20231117_105138.jpg
    825.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20231117_105107.jpg
    IMG_20231117_105107.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231117_105059.jpg
    IMG_20231117_105059.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231117_105021.jpg
    IMG_20231117_105021.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
One of the most catastrophic hazards I have in mind is an earthquake that could tip the toolbox over, with the cell terminals landing into the metal case. I'm gonna put kapton tape over them but that's not really a guarantee of protection.

For a single toolbox, the chances that an earthquake could even tip them over is pretty unlikely I think, with the 2x8 footprint of the compressed cell bank. But, I have an expansion plan that involves another toolbox of 16 cells on top of this one, which could easily tip if not secured.

My two securing options are either to bolt the box to the concrete floor, or bolt it to the wood stud wall. Wood stud wall is a lot easier, but it puts the case up in direct wood contact which is a fire concern. Cells venting and catching on fire is I think one of the most unlikely scenarios.

Considering two boxes on top of each other, I'm not actually sure which is stronger. If the first one is bolted to the ground and the second one is bolted to the first one, that's a lot of lifting force on the bottom one's concrete anchors with 200lbs 2ft off the ground moving back and forth.

I could bolt to the studs with a layer of drywall in between, but man I hate working with drywall. And as bad as drywall is, cutting concrete fiberboard is even more of a PITA.

One of the most catastrophic hazards I have in mind is an earthquake that could tip the toolbox over, with the cell terminals landing into the metal case. I'm gonna put kapton tape over them but that's not really a guarantee of protection.
Is there any room at the top to add some sort of padding for additional protection?
For a single toolbox, the chances that an earthquake could even tip them over is pretty unlikely I think, with the 2x8 footprint of the compressed cell bank. But, I have an expansion plan that involves another toolbox of 16 cells on top of this one, which could easily tip if not secured.

My two securing options are either to bolt the box to the concrete floor, or bolt it to the wood stud wall. Wood stud wall is a lot easier, but it puts the case up in direct wood contact which is a fire concern. Cells venting and catching on fire is I think one of the most unlikely scenarios.

Considering two boxes on top of each other, I'm not actually sure which is stronger. If the first one is bolted to the ground and the second one is bolted to the first one, that's a lot of lateral force on the bottom one's concrete anchors with 200lbs 2ft off the ground moving back and forth.
I would run additional support, maybe strut, on the backside that joins the 2 boxes. Fasten the bottom to the concrete and the additional support to the wall.

If there is any earthquake that severe you'll more than likely have bigger problems to deal with...

Yea. Looks like NOT gate..

I usually just draw a box. ?

Yes, exactly :) ... when referring to digital electronics a NOT gate is also called an inverter. The 7404 chip contains 6 of them, hence referred to as a hex inverter by the chip manufacturers.

The point (=joke) I was making in post #2 and #4 (https://diysolarforum.com/threads/hwy17s-battery-build.72380/post-917485) was that @hwy17 used a NOT gate / digital inverter symbol rather than a
1699473414237-png.176758
symbol

Back