diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

I think I just observed a new record:

View attachment 204332

5.98kW from 24 used panels 260W.. that's
5980/24/260 = 96% of the official rating.

It's even more surprising given that I believe two panels in string 1 to be defective, or what would you conclude?

View attachment 204333

Each string has 12 panels. But string 1 always has about 60V less than string 2 (zero shade, all mounted the same way).
Interestingly, frequently string 1 makes up for some of the loss with higher current.

Sometimes both strings have the same power (W) but 20% difference on voltage.

Edit: I just got myself a thermal imaging camera, and will review the panels soon with it.
Very nice

I'm not sure if I've got a weak cell or if I just need to force #2 a bit...

it's also doing that 'locked in 'run' mode' that #5 was doing til I kind of forced things (used it alone (other 4 disconnected) and charged, charged, charged to the top with PV input...)

Screenshot 2024-04-02 152238.png

Put my solar panels down for the first time since about January when all 8 were in place. They are forecasting 30+ MPH winds from the NW.
I did have those two on the left blow over once. :) No apparent damage. Due to the overcast conditions no difference in output up or down at the moment. All is working well with my system.

PXL_20240406_162836132.jpg

Put my solar panels down for the first time since about January when all 8 were in place. They are forecasting 30+ MPH winds from the NW.
I did have those two on the left blow over once. :) No apparent damage. Due to the overcast conditions no difference in output up or down at the moment. All is working well with my system.

View attachment 207497
I would expect more output with them down in overcast conditions. At least thats what's I've seen.

and in local news... "Xcel Energy will preemptively shut off power to around 55,000 customers in the state from Saturday at 3 p.m. until at least noon on Sunday due to forecasted high winds."

I thought that was a California only thing.

I have been getting so much pv lately, today I put the hot tub on off grid (solar) power. I put a Watt meter there to see how much it consumes.
Lawsuits over the Marshall Fire etc... still in progress here and other accusations of power lines causing wildfires etc... so....

accusations of power lines causing wildfires

We had that too in California.
Governor granted Immunity to the PoCo.
So the insurance companies had to pay out and couldn't recover from the Poco.
Now the insurance companies leave the state and we have to buy state-organized fire insurance. My annual premium will rise from $1600 to $30k+

I would rather have the Poco pay for their mistakes and let them charge $3 per kWh.

It's a desaster here.

and in local news... "Xcel Energy will preemptively shut off power to around 55,000 customers in the state from Saturday at 3 p.m. until at least noon on Sunday due to forecasted high winds."

Hopefully you still have power. It has been a windy 24 hours.

Well...when it rains it pours! Cloudy/cold today....batteries dropping and guess what UNDERVOLTAGE ALARM on Battery #2 ... which is what started all this.... Cell #7 at 2.739....Damn... took pics sent to Cindy Lou Who...
Going to try to reset/charge now...

You know what though...I'm thinking these Sungold batteries are shit!!!

(or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing or not charging/managing them properly)

Arrrgh...

So advice???
Help?

View attachment 182489
View attachment 182491
@Kenny_ can you remind me how to do the comm cables for multiple batteries
Do I go;

Inverter to Batt RS485A on batt 1
Then batt 1 rs485c to batt 2 rs485b
Batt 2 rs485 c to batt 3 rs485b
Batt 3 rs485c to batt 4 rs485b?

Just confirming but I think that’s right?

@marionw
Do I need to clip the orange and blue wires out like I did with my other “custom” cat cable? That’s required for any comma between devices including batts?
E6518A36-36A5-4458-905A-368290801721.jpeg

Last edited:
Battery to battery RS485B and RS485C. Any of these two to the next battery, the two ports are wired in parallel so no particular order. Any commercial ethernet cable will work.

RS485A to inverter
RS232 for computer or Solar Assistant monitoring

Back