diy solar

diy solar

Is it possible to harvest and store enough solar in summer to carry you through winter?

So could one of these sciency energy conversion methods be done legally in the uk? I do like the idea however I imagine one could get raided after a while if the government were not informed if neighbours say they suspected a drugs lab is underway there when you are moving barrels of chemicals around and all the apparatus?

Probably many better and established ways to explore and to take up one's time living off grid first like hydro and all the other big ones.

So could one of these sciency energy conversion methods be done legally in the uk? I do like the idea however I imagine one could get raided after a while if the government were not informed if neighbours say they suspected a drugs lab is underway there when you are moving barrels of chemicals around and all the apparatus?

Probably many better and established ways to explore and to take up one's time living off grid first like hydro and all the other big ones.
I don't know about the UK but those sciency methods typically use unproven technology, and would be expensive to design and built and labour intensive to operate.
They would not have the economies of scale enjoyed by the power companies.
Consider them a fun exercise in brainstorming.

there's just that little problem of feeding humans electricity.

SIGN. ME. UP.

Seriously. I have severe digestive issues, you have no idea how many times I've wished I could just plug myself in like a power tool and never have to eat again. If this becomes a real thing, I'll be first in line.

(Yes I'm aware that food is nutrients and building blocks and not just fuel. Nitpickers chill out.)

A tree hugger guru once pointed out that humans are like plants but we carry our soil around with us. The digestive system is not really inside your body it's still on the outside of your skin and you absorb nutrients through little hairs, just like roots. The microbes involved can sustain our mental and physical health if we give them good nutrients to work with and avoid things like GMO corn syrup and Roundup.

Bypassing the digestive system is possible with intravenous feeding but it probably doesn't result in as healthy or happy of a human compared to an "organic" naturally powered human. The same thing goes for plants, when we force feed petrochemical fertilizers we are bypassing the soil ecology system where plant root systems and microbes have exchanged nutrients for hundreds of millions of years. The vast majority of that synthetic nutrient is not absorbed by the plant and becomes pollution, knocking aquatic ecosystems out of balance.

Living out of balance is making us physically and mentally ill. We probably need less science and more great great grandma. We feed chickens industrial GMO corn/grain with antibiotics mixed in but they would rather eat grass and bugs and then we eat the free range eggs. Bugs make insect frass which is top notch organic fertilizer. Grass-fed dairy products contains vitamin K2 which is critical for heart and bone health, GMO grain fed dairy does not.

Unfortunately that's not what the swamp elites have in mind for us when it comes to bugs. They would use government power to enforce a patent on GMO bugs and add GMO corn, soy and wheat mixed with patented medications and antibiotics to the feed, in the name of science. Then use insurance companies to somehow require us to buy it by law, for safety. Then when the waves of sickness come armies of lawyers file tort lawsuits. That'll keep the swamp happy for awhile.

Living out of balance is making us physically and mentally ill.
I read this line a few times,
and looked at your avatar,
and read it a few more times,..

I grow or catch most of my food, trade with like-minded neighbours.
Guy asked me once, "what does a jar of honey cost ya from your neighbour"
I said - "Three dozen fresh eggs" :ROFLMAO:

{Edit: - we use honey instead of sugar}

Last edited:
I read this line a few times,
and looked at your avatar,
and read it a few more times,..

I grow or catch most of my food, trade with like-minded neighbours.
Guy asked me once, "what does a jar of honey cost ya from your neighbour"
I said - "Three dozen fresh eggs" :ROFLMAO:
I have no clue why that's there but I do love a good Tom Green trolling.

That's awesome that you can trade directly and eat real whole foods. Those are the simple things we really need.

Look for the rolling donut holes. The donuts should'nt be far behind!

I'm installing a little over 1,000 gallons of thermal storage for my gasification wood boiler that will batch burn. From 185°F down to 145°F is 416,000 btu's. From 185°F down to 110°F is about 650,000 btu's.

That will run an average house for about a day, depending on house insulation/size/heat loss.

It would take an awfully big pool to heat the house during winter.
What brand of wood boiler are you installing? Just from your description, it sounds like it might be a Garn.

I'm installing a little over 1,000 gallons of thermal storage for my gasification wood boiler that will batch burn. From 185°F down to 145°F is 416,000 btu's. From 185°F down to 110°F is about 650,000 btu's.

That will run an average house for about a day, depending on house insulation/size/heat loss.

It would take an awfully big pool to heat the house during winter.
Which gasification boiler did you go with?

Many people shouldn't be eating donuts. Take a look around, many are carrying one around the middle section. :ROFLMAO:

I have one on occasion with my coffee. I also do cardio every other day.
Rowing works for me.
My knees won’t do running anymore.

Back