diy solar

diy solar

Is there a MINIMUM length for mini-split line sets?

Madcodger

Solar Addict
DIY mini-splits (Mr Cool or EG4) both have ~16 foot line sets as standard when they ship. I just installed an EG4 In a location that needed only about 8 feet of line, and of course now I have all that mess coiled up behind it. I know I can't cut that, but in thinking about future mini-splits I need to install, avoiding that unnecessary line set would be a bigger factor than I originally anticipated, IF it could be avoided (i.e., might help push me toward a different mfr, vacuuming the lines, etc.). So... is there any reason a mini-split line set NEEDS to be a certain minimum length, or is 16 feet just considered a typical length that is enough for most installs?

16’ is probably more useful than 8’ or something shorter. Producing and stocking multiple sizes cuts into profits and raises the cost of the product.

Quote from the Senville installation manual: The length of refrigerant piping will affect the performance and energy efficiency of the unit. Nominal efficiency is tested on units with a pipe length of 5 meters (16.5ft), in North America, the standard pipe length is 7.5m (25’). A minimum pipe run of 3 meters is required to minimise vibration & excessive noise. Refer to the table below for specifications on the maximum length and drop height of piping.

Last edited:
Hmmm... Some differing info & opinions here. Please note, I understand why a mfr might select ~ 16 feet for convenience and profitability, but that's not my question. I'm wondering about being able to install a future unit (e.g., a Pioneer or similar) in a similar install setting, and NOT have to have all that pesky extra line coiled up (because I could cut my line to just the required length). The EG4 unit is working fine, but having all this extra line is bothering me more than I thought it would, and I have other, similar buildings. Really making me question buying another of these EG4 units (other reasons, as well).

Hmmm... Some differing info & opinions here. Please note, I understand why a mfr might select ~ 16 feet for convenience and profitability, but that's not my question. I'm wondering about being able to install a future unit (e.g., a Pioneer or similar) in a similar install setting, and NOT have to have all that pesky extra line coiled up (because I could cut my line to just the required length). The EG4 unit is working fine, but having all this extra line is bothering me more than I thought it would, and I have other, similar buildings. Really making me question buying another of these EG4 units (other reasons, as well).
No issues just need the tools and know how. I have a Mitsubishi with about five feet of line set.

Pretty sure I've seen specs before that say like "If shorter than 15ft remove X ounces of refrigerant".

So the minimum would have to do with the factory refrigerant charge in the unit, same as the maximum, it's charged for the normal range of lineset length and too short would make it technically overcharged.

Now does it really make a difference? Who knows. Everybody's paranoid about losing the charge not having extra.

I did one install with a DIY unit and the next install standard with a flare tool and vacuum pump and I'd definitely prefer the latter now. Way nicer to be able to cut to length and know that if you kink it you just cut it out or worse care it's ruined get any other one off Amazon the next day.

The worst part about mini splits is learning why you'd already like to replace yours with a better one within the first year or two of ownership. But even if you did that it would still be cheaper than what the pros charge.

This might be the year I put a 6k single zone in our bedroom to replace the 9k head that's attached to a 27k multi zone system. When we only want to heat the bedroom at night that piece of shit is hardly any cheaper than a space heater.

Back