diy solar

diy solar

Low noise(fan noise)/fanless inverter.

unikron

Hi,
Since my mini solar setup is located inside my apartment, I require a silent inverter, the one that I have is very noise above 120W.
I need a 12 or 24 inverter to 220v.
Or maybe a way to silence my current inverter(I thought about a box, but this means moving the inverter from the charge controller and wires board it is placed on)
Can you recommend one ?
Thanks!

Google for 'projector hush box'...

It's a box that is designed to flow adequate air in a certain way through it to keep the device cool, but designed like a muffler to keep sound inside it from getting out.

Of course the shape and design of it could be modified to suit an inverter application.

As far as a fanless inverter, I think only some of the small ones might be fanless, and I've never seen a small one that supports parallel stacking, so getting enough watts would be hard.

However, I did just find this thread right now too:

Hi,
Since my mini solar setup is located inside my apartment, I require a silent inverter, the one that I have is very noise above 120W.
Or maybe a way to silence my current inverter(I thought about a box, but this means moving the inverter from the charge controller and wires board it is placed on)
Can you recommend one ?
Thanks!
Morningstar SureSine inverters are passive, no fans. You pay a decent premium for that. I believe there may be a little transformer hum from them but I don't have one to verify.

If the inverter has a temp readout somewhere you could just take manual control of the fans and see if a lower fan speed would be adequate by just watching its temp and using the lowest fan speed that prevents it from overheating during your normal loading. There are many options for low current fan speed controllers for under $20 on amazon, for example.

It's nice to have the option of a powerful fan and just slow it down, vs being limited by a fan that is quiet but also weak. Just my .02.

Last edited:
Hi,
Can you recommend one ?
Thanks!
This is what I will doing on mine,
I am looking for quite fans which are available.

My Renogy 3000, lives in the living room...twin fans, but even switching on the washing machine and coffee machine or freezer does not activate the fans.....at nominal load,...a very very very faint hum...but that's when have no normal background noise.
I got rid of a Chinese branded one, it was dreadful.

Back