diy solar

diy solar

New Growatt hybrid inverter SPH10000TL- HU-US split phase

I can't find it on the growatt us site or renvu. Any links?

That's good for the consumer. I wonder growatt manufactures this one?
I've never been able to find anything other than Growatt manufacturing all of their products.
It's been rumored that they are made by Voltronics.
But I've never found any evidence of this.
I think that they both use similar common components. And that may be why.
But, I haven't been able to find the exact same models under both names.
As in, nothing that Growatt sells, can be found with any other name.

Oh ok I'm familiar with that unit. It's a grid tie inverter that has backup functions. It can only use the expensive aro battery though. And that battery is $$$
Yeah, sure. But I figured they'd release a 48V eventually, with probably higher cost for the heavier power conversion lifting to work with 48V. Apart from that 48V DC-DC and charging stage the rest of the design and software should be the same.

I've never been able to find anything other than Growatt manufacturing all of their products.
It's been rumored that they are made by Voltronics.
But I've never found any evidence of this.
I think that they both use similar common components. And that may be why.
But, I haven't been able to find the exact same models under both names.
As in, nothing that Growatt sells, can be found with any other name.
You may be on to something The manuals are very similar.Same with software ,but the growatt form factor I haven't seen elsewhere

Yeah, sure. But I figured they'd release a 48V eventually, with probably higher cost for the heavier power conversion lifting to work with 48V. Apart from that 48V DC-DC and charging stage the rest of the design and software should be the same.
The min line has the rudimentary bump settings and the sph has (I believe) a touch screen. It also weighs about 3x as much. It will be interesting for sure.

I emailed growatt and they replied saying they don't have a release date yet.

The min line has the rudimentary bump settings and the sph has (I believe) a touch screen. It also weighs about 3x as much. It will be interesting for sure.

3x as much is an interesting surprise. Maybe it is LF to do the 48V to line conversion instead of DC DC, or has a built in autotransformer instead of relying on external one like the MIN uses (IIRC)

3x as much is an interesting surprise. Maybe it is LF to do the 48V to line conversion instead of DC DC, or has a built in autotransformer instead of relying on external one like the MIN uses (IIRC)
Yes it's surprising to me too since it says it's transformerless

Yes it's surprising to me too since it says it's transformerless
Depends on what Transformerless means. It can be transformerless just from the perspective of the PV power path. This is what I assume transformerless means in solar.

It can be transformerless in that there are zero transformers. This is impossible because AFAIK you need at least one transformer to achieve grid AC to battery isolation as needed by code.

And just yesterday I read something that said Transformerless PV and high frequency transformer isolation in the same row.

English.

The MIN is pure single phase
1698453103544.png

The SPH (SPlit PHase?) is 120/240. No manual nor wiring diagram, but there's a pretty good chance that this does not need as much support crap (like the AT) that the MIN has. That AT of the MIN I believe also has the transfer switch in it.
1698453117416.png

So it would have either a AT in it or two inverters. Maybe the weird 230V 120/240V implies that it is single inverter with an AT that is disconnected when on-grid.

If it is 240V with a AT neutral switched in on a relay then it's worse as a ninja zero export platform, since it'll leak more evidence when legs are imbalanced.

If it is 240V with a AT neutral switched in on a relay then it's worse as a ninja zero export platform, since it'll leak more evidence when legs are imbalanced.
That's a bummer.. but at least the cost savings if it's $2000 helps towards the high cost of labor / permits.

That's a bummer.. but at least the cost savings if it's $2000 helps towards the high cost of labor / permits.
I'm not even sure this is an architecture anyone uses (Hybrid/AIO with the AT in the same box). Though it could be, given that Enphase, dcbel, and Growatt MIN do this with separate boxes, so why not club them together.

Not personally super worried about labor other than finding people to help lift these things. Hybrid battery inverter and battery is not that much wire. But my AHJ is very DIY friendly.

I'm sure that it's a high frequency split-phase unit.
It wouldn't make sense to be anything else.
The extra weight is probably due to a robust case with large heat sinks on the back.

The MIN is pure single phase
View attachment 174623

The SPH (SPlit PHase?) is 120/240. No manual nor wiring diagram, but there's a pretty good chance that this does not need as much support crap (like the AT) that the MIN has. That AT of the MIN I believe also has the transfer switch in it.
View attachment 174624

So it would have either a AT in it or two inverters. Maybe the weird 230V 120/240V implies that it is single inverter with an AT that is disconnected when on-grid.
The min is a u.s inverter so it has l1, l2, and neutral. It doesn't need an auto transformer to operate.

Once all these 120/240 48V split phase hybrids around $2000 come out, that have a high degree of integration with not too many extra boxes, what is the value prop of the 6000XP which is off grid only? While these can be secretly operated on grid and may well have AC coupling upon release if the specs are to be believed.

I guess it’s still cheaper and equal footing for code compliance.

Once all these 120/240 48V split phase hybrids around $2000 come out, that have a high degree of integration with not too many extra boxes, what is the value prop of the 6000XP which is off grid only? While these can be secretly operated on grid and may well have AC coupling upon release if the specs are to be believed.

I guess it’s still cheaper and equal footing for code compliance.
Hints have been dropped that the 6000xp might not stay off grid only, seems like they are waiting on additional listings/certifications for on grid/ ac coupled use.

Back